Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Online insults can fetch you five-year jail term

FlyJ

• Administrators

Online-insults-can-fetch-you.jpg

For using profane language on other people or pelting them with insults or abusive words on social networking sites, Internet users in Nigeria risk a jail term that ranges between 12 months and five years.

Section 18 sub-section 1 of the Cyber-Crime Bill 2013, which is pending before the House of Representatives, expressly states that anybody who “insults publicly, through a computer system or network” commits an offence and will be liable on conviction to imprisonment “for a term of not less than five years or to a fine of not less than N10m or to both fine and imprisonment.”

Also, the bill prescribes a jail term of five years for anyone who circulates or makes any racist and xenophobic material available online.

Cyber-criminals, who hide under the anonymity of the Internet to bully, harass other users of online platforms also risk jail terms when the law comes into full force.

Section 15 of the bill, which deals with issues of cyber-stalking, prescribes a jail term of 12 months for anyone found guilty of posting messages deemed “grossly offensive, indecent, obscene” or messages aimed at “causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety” to another online user.

Besides, anyone who bullies, threatens or harasses another person, through “information and communication technologies” or posts messages online that contains “threats to kidnap or injure” another person will be jailed five years or pay a fine of N15m or both.

According to the bill, Internet service providers will be required to keep all traffic data and subscriber information for the purpose of prosecuting those suspected of committing cyber-crimes.

The service providers are expected to provide necessary assistance towards the identification, apprehension and prosecution of offenders, failure of which makes them liable to fines and or jail terms.

Part V, Section four of the bill prescribes the Office of the National Security Adviser as the co-coordinating body for all security and enforcement agencies when the bill becomes law.

One of the high points of the law is the prescription of death sentence for anyone who commits an offence against what it calls “critical national information infrastructure” which results in death.

Source

This sounds dodgy,.. So what if some people are upset with a particular politician? Or for example basket mouth makes a rape joke again? And people want to send out what they really feel, but they can't cos they face the risk of their opinion being rated as an insult to that particular individual.. Therefore they gota sugar coat what they realy wanted to say or just keep it to themselves.

#Torture

this law is something I honestly appreciate, kudos to them.

cyber bullying is something no govt should tolerate, people have committed suicide over it.

u dont go about insulting people bcs its a faceless forum, they are better ways to share your opinions and express your self.

I really appreciate this law for so many reasons.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Can we hand over the reigns of power back to the military now please?? The so called Democracy is being way more detrimental to the human right it is supposed to be protecting. Why can't we concentrate on the most important issues??Why can't they pass bills protecting the girl child?About protecting the citizens from domestic abuse, about child welfare and education reforms. We have a medical system that is so bad even the leaders don't believe in it and what the government is worried about is people insulting other people online?Classic example of very stupid and blind leaders.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

This isn't about cyber bullying, if they are so worried about that, why don't they take care of the bullying in schools. This is the same goverment that stripped gay persons of their basic freedom of association less than a month ago, and you think they are worried about cyber bullying? You think a goverment that has stood by, and allowed gay persons to be tormented and imprisoned, cares about cyber bullying? You want to give the right to "police" your speech? This is about control and freedom of speech. This is so George Orwell's 1984.

one tree can not make a forest, cyber bullying is as important as school bullying. we are getting there soon.

the truth is so long as the law protects one individual then its worth it.

abt rape, most times the rape victim dont report the case to the authorities bcs of stigma. I know nigeria has a long way to go but it wnt happen one day and it begins with us and not the govt afterall we put them there.

Can we hand over the reigns of power back to the military now please?? The so called Democracy is being way more detrimental to the human right it is supposed to be protecting. Why can't we concentrate on the most important issues??Why can't they pass bills protecting the girl child?About protecting the citizens from domestic abuse, about child welfare and education reforms. We have a medical system that is so bad even the leaders don't believe in it and what the government is worried about is people insulting other people online?Classic example of very stupid and blind leaders.

careful what you wish for.

our problem is not our system of govt but the selfish and unpatriotic individuals we put into power.

• Moderators

one tree can not make a forest, cyber bullying is as important as school bullying. we are getting there soon.

the truth is so long as the law protects one individual then its worth it.

abt rape, most times the rape victim dont report the case to the authorities bcs of stigma. I know nigeria has a long way to go but it wnt happen one day and it begins with us and not the govt afterall we put them there.

It is now illegal for you and I to have a conversation in Nigeria because we are gay, and I am supposed to believe that a government that passed that law (while calling homosexuals an abomination) cares about cyber bullying. I am now supposed to give those people the opportunity to control my "freedom of speech".

• Administrators

careful what you wish for.

our problem is not our system of govt but the selfish and unpatriotic individuals we put into power.

Our system of Government is part of our problem and of course with a failed system the "selfish and unpatriotic individuals we put into power" look for excuses as to why good Governance is not possible.

It is now illegal for you and I to have a conversation in Nigeria because we are gay, and I am supposed to believe that a government that passed that law (while calling homosexuals an abomination) cares about cyber bullying. I am now supposed to give those people the opportunity to control my "freedom of speech".

moresko even if they made it legal right now, I wnt cm out as gay. nigerians are not ready for that kinda change yet, esp sincee xtians and muslims have turned a secular country to a religious country.

so laws are made based on religious values which is pathetic to me.

but I believe soon they will see the consequences of taking someones right away and will learn that tolerance is the key.

I dont support our leaders and I know they are selfish.

no one has freedom of speech, no matter how we deceive ourselves. if we did we would meet the president one on one and tell him how useless he is to his face, but rather we hide in a faceless forum and run abuses on him.

besides he is not saying dont insult, if u wish to u can but just be ready to face the consequences.

cyber bullying is a serious issue maybe not the most important but still important.

Our system of Government is part of our problem and of course with a failed system the "selfish and unpatriotic individuals we put into power" look for excuses as to why good Governance is not possible.

military rule isnt any better.

they are more devilish and they are bigger looters e.g abacha.

the truth is if the youth decide to vote for a good man and stop being controlled by money, something good will come out.

another problem is xtians want a xtian president and muslims want a muslim president ,so instead of voting for a good man they vote based on religion.

the annoying thing is the youths dont ask questions.

for example 'how do u intend to improve the power sector' if we can ask such questions and hear the answers of the various candidates, we are a step closer to picking the right man with new ideas for this country.

they just promise us and we accept instead of asking how they intend to achieve this.

I believe the prob still remains with us, we let them get away with anything.

we keep on screaming they are stealing but no one can say how much these individuals have stolen. hmmm I just wish youths knew how much they can change nigeria.

• Moderators

moresko even if they made it legal right now, I wnt cm out as gay. nigerians are not ready for that kinda change yet, esp sincee xtians and muslims have turned a secular country to a religious country.

so laws are made based on religious values which is pathetic to me.

but I believe soon they will see the consequences of taking someones right away and will learn that tolerance is the key.

I dont support our leaders and I know they are selfish.

no one has freedom of speech, no matter how we deceive ourselves. if we did we would meet the president one on one and tell him how useless he is to his face, but rather we hide in a faceless forum and run abuses on him.

besides he is not saying dont insult, if u wish to u can but just be ready to face the consequences.

cyber bullying is a serious issue maybe not the most important but still important.

Muslims and Christians haven't turned Nigerians into a religious country. People want to blame religion, for hypocrisy and sneer stupidity. Most laws in Nigeria are not based on religion, this law included. This law is based on taking control from the individual, and giving government the right to police your speech. Do you think they are going to stop there?

The proposed law states "Section 18 sub-section 1 of the Cyber-Crime Bill 2013, which is pending before the House of Representatives, expressly states that anybody who “insults publicly, through a computer system or network” commits an offence and will be liable on conviction to imprisonment “for a term of not less than five years or to a fine of not less than N10m or to both fine and imprisonment.”. Why can't I insult? If someone pisses me off, I reserve the right to insult the person. I can't understand why you think I should be okay with a government telling me what I can and cannot say. People exchanging insults online is a different thing from cyber bullying. What if they pass a law stating you can't openly disagree with the government, are you going to be cool with that.

Muslims and Christians haven't turned Nigerians into a religious country. People want to blame religion, for hypocrisy and sneer stupidity. Most laws in Nigeria are not based on religion, this law included. This law is based on taking control from the individual, and giving government the right to police your speech. Do you think they are going to stop there?

The proposed law states "Section 18 sub-section 1 of the Cyber-Crime Bill 2013, which is pending before the House of Representatives, expressly states that anybody who “insults publicly, through a computer system or network” commits an offence and will be liable on conviction to imprisonment “for a term of not less than five years or to a fine of not less than N10m or to both fine and imprisonment.”. Why can't I insult? If someone pisses me off, I reserve the right to insult the person. I can't understand why you think I should be okay with a government telling me what I can and cannot say. People exchanging insults online is a different thing from cyber bullying. What if they pass a law stating you can't openly disagree with the government, are you going to be cool with that.

let me not start with religion and law .

but u still dont get it.

there wont be exchange of insults anymore cs its a crime, so no one can piss u off by insulting u and rather than insult u guys can express ur sef in a more mature way.

and u have no right to insult anyone, u can get sued for defamation of character or slander so u see ur speech has never really been free.

morever the law doesnt stop u from insulting, it just says be ready for the consequence.

• Moderators

let me not start with religion and law .

but u still dont get it.

there wont be exchange of insults anymore cs its a crime, so no one can piss u off by insulting u and rather than insult u guys can express ur sef in a more mature way.

and u have no right to insult anyone, u can get sued for defamation of character or slander so u see ur speech has never really been free.

morever the law doesnt stop u from insulting, it just says be ready for the consequence.

Of course I don't get it, you are cool with a government (that is denying gay Nigerians basic rights) "policing" your speech. Why does the government care who I insult? Why should it be a crime? So the government will teach me how to be mature? A government that can't get basic education right. A goverment that steals from its people, even with laws against theft. Thanks, but no thanks, I will chose to wallow in my "immaturity"

• Administrators

military rule isnt any better.

they are more devilish and they are bigger looters e.g abacha.

the truth is if the youth decide to vote for a good man and stop being controlled by money, something good will come out.

another problem is xtians want a xtian president and muslims want a muslim president ,so instead of voting for a good man they vote based on religion.

the annoying thing is the youths dont ask questions.

for example 'how do u intend to improve the power sector' if we can ask such questions and hear the answers of the various candidates, we are a step closer to picking the right man with new ideas for this country.

they just promise us and we accept instead of asking how they intend to achieve this.

I believe the prob still remains with us, we let them get away with anything.

we keep on screaming they are stealing but no one can say how much these individuals have stolen. hmmm I just wish youths knew how much they can change nigeria.

No doubt, Military rule isn't any better but what do you call a "Democratic Govt" that thinks its fair to take away the basic human rights of its citizens? It is common knowledge that "Nigerian Youths and Voters" do not vote based on who can deliver, they vote based on different sentiments and of course "Money". Does that mean though that the people voted in should deny the same confused masses their basic right? I don't think so. The whole thing of youths not "asking questions" is something i have become acclimatized to. I am not for the bill and i do not think it should be considered; Nigeria is not a police Country and people should be free to say whatever. Why is Jonathan not passing bills on corruption, terrorism, prostitution, quacks etc...

Of course I don't get it, you are cool with a government (that is denying gay Nigerians basic rights) "policing" your speech. Why does the government care who I insult? Why should it be a crime? So the government will teach me how to be mature? A government that can't get basic education right. A goverment that steals from its people, even with laws against theft. Thanks, but no thanks, I will chose to wallow in my "immaturity"

yes I am cool with it cs I am against cyber bullying.

the govt should care cs the person ur insulting most likely is a citizen and may be depressed by ur words.

if one refuses to be mature the govt can act as a corrective measure by using one of its policies. lol

u wanna be immature then fine u just have to face the consequence sha.

I know u are angry abt the bill passed on anti- gay marriage and stuff but a country cant work without her govt and except u are ready to fight govt then u have to accept it.

I know our leader are bad but in all honesty, they are not that bad. they still get somethings right and so long as the law is protecting someone without causing you any harm then its worth it.

No doubt, Military rule isn't any better but what do you call a "Democratic Govt" that thinks its fair to take away the basic human rights of its citizens? It is common knowledge that "Nigerian Youths and Voters" do not vote based on who can deliver, they vote based on different sentiments and of course "Money". Does that mean though that the people voted in should deny the same confused masses their basic right? I don't think so. The whole thing of youths not "asking questions" is something i have become acclimatized to. I am not for the bill and i do not think it should be considered; Nigeria is not a police Country and people should be free to say whatever. Why is Jonathan not passing bills on corruption, terrorism, prostitution, quacks etc...

"Nigerian Youths and Voters" do not vote based on who can deliver, they vote based on different sentiments and of course "Money". Does that mean though that the people voted in should deny the same confused masses their basic right? I don't think so. "

how can I consciously know someone is a thief and employ him to work for me then expect him not to steal from me or complain when he does?I dont think so.

I believe they are laws against terrorism and embezzlement.

true some laws are more important than others but so long as its protecting someone then its important.

• Administrators

"Nigerian Youths and Voters" do not vote based on who can deliver, they vote based on different sentiments and of course "Money". Does that mean though that the people voted in should deny the same confused masses their basic right? I don't think so. "

how can I consciously know someone is a thief and employ him to work for me then expect him not to steal from me or complain when he does?I dont think so.

I believe they are laws against terrorism and embezzlement.

true some laws are more important than others but so long as its protecting someone then its important.

" true some laws are more important than others but so long as its protecting someone then its important."

I agree but i am of the mindset that the proposed bill/law is to shut people up from expressing their views which could be insulting against President Goodluck Jonathan. I do not think Nigeria is ready for this proposed bill. There are more pressing issues that needs to be addressed.

well they are angry about the anti gay bill,aint you?there is nothing that the government of nigeria do that is for d good of their people.they implement laws that are meant for themself.

" true some laws are more important than others but so long as its protecting someone then its important."

I agree but i am of the mindset that the proposed bill/law is to shut people up from expressing their views which could be insulting against President Goodluck Jonathan. I do not think Nigeria is ready for this proposed bill. There are more pressing issues that needs to be addressed.

Agreed.

I personally support the bill but I do not support the timing.

I think govt should be more concerned abt the security of this country esp with the boko haram menace.

Anyway govt can only shut small minds up, cs a few will always stand up and fight for what they believe in although, I hope it dont get to that.