Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

5 Gifts of Rejection!!!

FlyJ

• Administrators

Gifts-of-Rejection-May-2014-600x566.jpg

Be honest, you’re terrified of being rejected.

The dream job you’ve been waiting for all your life. And the reply email with the clichéd response, “Thank you for your interest in writing for…Unfortunately, we will not be able to move forward with you due to…” The University you have your heart set on attending. “We regret to inform you have not been accepted into the Medical program at____________”. The guy you’ve been crushing on in English class. “Um, I’m flattered that you like me but I don’t feel that way about you.” Your heart…the floor…stomped. Rejection from a company or a school or a friend or a family member or a guy or anyone else can be the most heart-wrenching experience for a gal. So much so that you might begin to feel like an insignificant fraud and lose all motivation to live courageously.

The bad news? You’ve got it all wrong. The good news? You’ve got it all wrong! Rejection is not the evil gremlin sent to destroy you; it’s the good angel sent to save you.

Here are 5 lessons I learned about rejection that have turned me from a scared and timid writer to a bold and joyful human being:

Rejection will not kill you

I’m serious, it won’t. I tested it; I lived. Once you’ve gotten that rejection letter from a school (or in my current case, the rejection emails from blogs/online magazines) and after you’ve balled your eyes out in sadness, you find yourself at the end of the day ALIVE. Rejection helps you come to the realization that contrary to what you might have thought, you’re one tough cookie. Rejection builds resilience.

Rejection Makes Your Story Rock

Think of all the really cool and inspiring stories of people in history and in our lifetime – you’ll find it tough to find one who wasn’t rejected. Think of Thomas Edison – he had over 1,000 wrong tries before he finally created the light bulb (imagine being rejected by a light bulb). Think of Jack Nicholson (I loved his “Joker” in the original Batman) – he auditioned to be a member of the Actors Studio 5 times before he was accepted. Five. Think of Stephen King – his most renowned and first book, Carrie, was rejected by publishers thirty times. Thirty! Think of Walt Disney – he was fired from the Kansas City Star in 1919 because his editor said he “lacked imagination and had no good ideas”. (I bet one of your favorite movies as a child was a Disney movie; mine was Cinderella.) Think of J.K. Rowling – She received 12 rejection letters for Harry Potter before it was picked up for publishing. (The seven Harry Potter books have collectively sold over 500 million copies since publication of the first book in 1997.) All the really exciting folks in history have really awesome rejection stories. If the past is any indication of the future, you should be excited to receive your next rejection.

Rejection Proves You’ve Got Courage

It means you had enough cojones to put yourself and/or your work out there for people to see and judge. It means you went beyond your fear of rejection and acted in faith anyways. It means you are fully present in life and experiencing the joy of living in each opportunity, whether the outcome makes you happy or sad. It means you’re one of the brave ones.

Rejection Destroys Ego

That’s a good thing. There is nothing more unflattering on a person than arrogance and pomp. Rejection reminds you that you’re not the greatest that ever lived and that you can always use a slice of humble pie. Remember, self-righteousness is a SIN.

Rejection Promotes Practice

Rejection reminds you that you always have room for improvement. As a writer, I should write consistently, continue learning about the craft of writing, and continue developing my skills as a writer. And the same goes for my work as a coach and a speaker. I should make it a lifelong habit to continue improving. And so should you in any craft that captures your heart. Rejection reminds you of the good ol’ saying, “practice makes perfect”.

The more you get rejected, the easier it becomes to deal with it and the less of a negative effect it has on your psychological and emotional well-being. It becomes an acceptable part of your life. There is NO ONE who has ever achieved great feats that wasn’t rejected. It motivates you to put even more effort into your life/your craft, and reminds you that rejection does not mean an end to your great life unless you let it mean so.

So, my question to you is what rejection have you been afraid of that has crippled you from going after what you want? Who rejected you in the past that made you doubt your self-worth and potentially great future? Make the decision to embrace the rejection (tears and all) and keep on thriving in your life. Don’t allow rejection to stop you from success. Remember, the rejection is just an added ingredient that, if used properly, will make your life story FASCINATING.

Source

• Like 2

Now is cool to get rejected, someone pls reject me!

by the power vested in my by humanity nd Nature suavity (((((((I REJECT YOU))))))) ....ROTFL

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

I know what it feels like to be rejected by someone, been there and back. the feeling that comes along with it, can be excruciatingly crippling.( truth be told) It took so much love from loved ones and the fact I had someone else at the time , who was heads  over heels in love with me as at then, to get back on feet.  like the article states,  you'd live after it. No one ever dies outter rejection.  No one.  i didn't.  except you let it kill you.  rejection, i finally learnt has the ability to remold, teach and improve a person, if they let it.. right now, it means nothing to me anymore.. In fact I pray I get rejected again and again by someone everyday! Lol. To the lady who rejected me, ( you know yourself) tank you so much. You made me a better me.

*inbtween*

God bless the author of this beautiful piece.

3 hours ago, scarlet said:

To the lady who rejected me, ( you know yourself) tank you so much. You made me a better me.

Errm...errm who is this said lady sef lol

On 10/10/2017 at 0:02 PM, scarlet said:

I know what it feels like to be rejected by someone, been there and back. the feeling that comes along with it, can be excruciatingly crippling.( truth be told) It took so much love from loved ones and the fact I had someone else at the time , who was heads  over heels in love with me as at then, to get back on feet.  like the article states,  you'd live after it. No one ever dies outter rejection.  No one.  i didn't.  except you let it kill you.  rejection, i finally learnt has the ability to remold, teach and improve a person, if they let it.. right now, it means nothing to me anymore.. In fact I pray I get rejected again and again by someone everyday! Lol. To the lady who rejected me, ( you know yourself) tank you so much. You made me a better me.

*inbtween*

God bless the author of this beautiful piece.

Never shall I ever reject you. *😉😉

Tell it on the mountains! @ number 4

A lot of people actually believe that ego is a positive thing, to the tune they'd hide  and deny themselves of so much just to feel their ego. Pomp. Its a facade. When are you going to live?

Then I've seen scenario where the one who rejected then 'comes around' haven realized they actually want it too..it was just for public show. By then, the other may have truly moved on...

Ordinarily, Its really a pound - of -flesh time when tgey come back around, right? Yes, but for the love of Jesus, No.
Just let them go and move it on.

#relishingeverymomentoflife
#benefitsofrejection

• 1 year later...

I like ego. I have ego.(except in a relationship though, where nothing matters) And yes rejection destroys ego.. I rather not ask than to ask and get a refusal.. nah so so cry I go cry eh.. second to near death.. yak!

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2014 at 2:19 PM, FlyJ said:

Gifts-of-Rejection-May-2014-600x566.jpg

Be honest, you’re terrified of being rejected.

The dream job you’ve been waiting for all your life. And the reply email with the clichéd response, “Thank you for your interest in writing for…Unfortunately, we will not be able to move forward with you due to…” The University you have your heart set on attending. “We regret to inform you have not been accepted into the Medical program at____________”. The guy you’ve been crushing on in English class. “Um, I’m flattered that you like me but I don’t feel that way about you.” Your heart…the floor…stomped. Rejection from a company or a school or a friend or a family member or a guy or anyone else can be the most heart-wrenching experience for a gal. So much so that you might begin to feel like an insignificant fraud and lose all motivation to live courageously.

The bad news? You’ve got it all wrong. The good news? You’ve got it all wrong! Rejection is not the evil gremlin sent to destroy you; it’s the good angel sent to save you.

Here are 5 lessons I learned about rejection that have turned me from a scared and timid writer to a bold and joyful human being:

Rejection will not kill you

I’m serious, it won’t. I tested it; I lived. Once you’ve gotten that rejection letter from a school (or in my current case, the rejection emails from blogs/online magazines) and after you’ve balled your eyes out in sadness, you find yourself at the end of the day ALIVE. Rejection helps you come to the realization that contrary to what you might have thought, you’re one tough cookie. Rejection builds resilience.

Rejection Makes Your Story Rock

Think of all the really cool and inspiring stories of people in history and in our lifetime – you’ll find it tough to find one who wasn’t rejected. Think of Thomas Edison – he had over 1,000 wrong tries before he finally created the light bulb (imagine being rejected by a light bulb). Think of Jack Nicholson (I loved his “Joker” in the original Batman) – he auditioned to be a member of the Actors Studio 5 times before he was accepted. Five. Think of Stephen King – his most renowned and first book, Carrie, was rejected by publishers thirty times. Thirty! Think of Walt Disney – he was fired from the Kansas City Star in 1919 because his editor said he “lacked imagination and had no good ideas”. (I bet one of your favorite movies as a child was a Disney movie; mine was Cinderella.) Think of J.K. Rowling – She received 12 rejection letters for Harry Potter before it was picked up for publishing. (The seven Harry Potter books have collectively sold over 500 million copies since publication of the first book in 1997.) All the really exciting folks in history have really awesome rejection stories. If the past is any indication of the future, you should be excited to receive your next rejection.

Rejection Proves You’ve Got Courage

It means you had enough cojones to put yourself and/or your work out there for people to see and judge. It means you went beyond your fear of rejection and acted in faith anyways. It means you are fully present in life and experiencing the joy of living in each opportunity, whether the outcome makes you happy or sad. It means you’re one of the brave ones.

Rejection Destroys Ego

That’s a good thing. There is nothing more unflattering on a person than arrogance and pomp. Rejection reminds you that you’re not the greatest that ever lived and that you can always use a slice of humble pie. Remember, self-righteousness is a SIN.

Rejection Promotes Practice

Rejection reminds you that you always have room for improvement. As a writer, I should write consistently, continue learning about the craft of writing, and continue developing my skills as a writer. And the same goes for my work as a coach and a speaker. I should make it a lifelong habit to continue improving. And so should you in any craft that captures your heart. Rejection reminds you of the good ol’ saying, “practice makes perfect”.

The more you get rejected, the easier it becomes to deal with it and the less of a negative effect it has on your psychological and emotional well-being. It becomes an acceptable part of your life. There is NO ONE who has ever achieved great feats that wasn’t rejected. It motivates you to put even more effort into your life/your craft, and reminds you that rejection does not mean an end to your great life unless you let it mean so.

So, my question to you is what rejection have you been afraid of that has crippled you from going after what you want? Who rejected you in the past that made you doubt your self-worth and potentially great future? Make the decision to embrace the rejection (tears and all) and keep on thriving in your life. Don’t allow rejection to stop you from success. Remember, the rejection is just an added ingredient that, if used properly, will make your life story FASCINATING.

Source

Good advice for those who struggle with this.