Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Gentle Complications (A Short Story)

boldie

#all rights reserved. You are not allowed to read and not be swooned. If you don't smile at a point, I will know ooo. Aside that... this is a fiction of my imagination. I am going to need you inputs. Every week, I will update and you will give me *** words/objects/places/ideas/scenario you would like to see in the story. The one that I choose, I will dedicate the chapter to. Fun? Yeah, I know.

Once upon many years ago, Rakel lived a happy life of walking her dog while hanging to the hand of her hunk of a boyfriend, Tyler. The two were an epitome of love and people always stopped to stare at the two humans and a cuddly dog.

To Rakel, as long as Tyler remained truthful to her, there was nothing else in the world that mattered. He would wake her up with the most romantic texts ever. He would send her flowers for the flimsiest reasons. He was the world to her and everything was fine till Esteer came along.

Esteer was Tyler's best friend and for whatever reason, Rakel was never at ease around the gorgeous blonde. Esteer on the hand thought Rakel was a dork who had no business being her best friend's girl.

A heavy rainfall and broke down car after, Tyler was left in a very tight corner. The happily ever after of the trio laid on his decision.

#follow to find out what becomes of these three *smiles*

Chapter One

The alarm went wild and sent Rakel's hand flying like an angry python. She cursed as the offending object crashed on the floor and bore out its interiors.

"Damn, cuckoo clock," Rakel swore as she sighed into her pillow. She'd had the dream again but this time she was a redhead. Rakel tried to recollect her dream but the only thing she remembered was the fierceness of the hair and the musk in the air. What was happening? Why was she having these dreams? She tried to find logical conclusions but none came.

"Who the hell is she?" she said out loud as she sat up in bed. The dampness between her legs became real and she swore. She heard a yelp and then turned to face the rott leaning on the bed. The dog looked at her like it could read her mind.

"What? So what if it's the same dream," she asked, the dog yelped again. Rakel shook her head and got out of bed.

She picked up the clock and dumped it in the bin by the bathroom door. Her bathroom smelt like lavender which to Rakel was strange. A simple glance around confirmed her suspicion, Gusty had toppled the bath gel over again. Rakel laughed then, she never could understand how a dog could have a thing for lavender.

The last bath gel Rakel bought was rose scented, it disappeared the second day only to be found empty in the garden. Gusty hated his bath but if it was with a lavender bath gel, the naughty dog would stay very still. So Rakel had ended up buying lavender scented ones, which she had no liking for.

Rakel heard her phone ringing and she rushed to pick up.

"Smile... its the best one I have ever seen. I will go to the end of earth to always bring you reasons to bring it out. How about a shade of pink in the middle of purple? Look outside, what do you think?"

It was a text from Tyler.

Rakel smiled and went to peer out of her window. He was on his knees, out there on the grass. He had on a pink shirt and had surrounded himself with purple petals, a stem in his mouth.

Rakel blew him a kiss but frowned.

"Good morning, Smilez!" Tyler said as he stood up and removed the stem in his mouth.

"I'm still not talking to you," Rakel said as she folded her hands across her chest.

"Really? Even when my world only gets beautiful when you smile upon me?" Tyler asked as he made a sad face. Rakel smiled then.

"Fine! You know I can't stay mad forever," Rakel said as Gusty nudged her out of the way. The dog gave an excited yelp and Rakel laughed.

"Good morning, Gusty!" Tyler said again, he got another yelp.

"I'll be right down," Rakel said. Tyler got up and walked towards the door.

Chapter Two

Tyler dropped the flower on a stool as Rakel prepared Gusty's meal. He leaned on the kitchen cabinet and stared at Rakel with a big smile on his face.

Her 'hello kitty' nightie short hugs her butt in a way he'd always liked. Everyone would have thought this little charmer would do pink but to Rakel, pink was too prissy for her. She loved her browns from her toothbrush to the color of her office locker. The top shifted a bit and Tyler stared at the little "hakuna matata" tattoo on Rakel's lover back.

Rakel's hair was tied in a pony tail behind her, the brown band had loosened and didn't really held the hair together. Her spangly head of hair was always left in an afro. Rakel had always said she thanked her Nigerian mother for her hair, wouldn't have wanted anything else. It suited her indeed. It was the first thing Tyler had seen on the first day he ran into this bundle of giggles.

She was laughing with the clerk in a phone shop. Tyler hadn't noticed her at first but when he heard a laugh that sounded like a buffalo choking, he'd turned to stare. All he saw was an afro head bopping. It was black, full and had a bandanna tied round it. The photographer in Tyler made him took a picture, the flash had caught Miss Bopping head's attention.

She'd turned and stared at him with an inquiring look and a half smile. She then stood up, patted her hair and struck a pose.

"I had better look good," she had said with a clap. The clerk couldn't help but laugh. The meet had ended with a pizza date.

Tyler turned his attention back to the mumbling girl and the fussy dog. He brought out his camera and took a picture of them, there was no flash this time.

Her voice sauntered into his eardrums and caressed his senses like ice cream on a hot day. He'd always wondered if the two beings did understand each other the way they would go on and on. Man and animals, Tyler thought, sometimes it was just a match made in heaven.

Rakel turned and caught Tyler as he was about to take another shot.

"Ty!! Stop taking pictures and bring Gusty's leash," she said with a short laugh.

The days when they walk Gusty was always on of the happiest for Rakel. The three of them would take very long walks to no where in particular. Rakel lived in the suburbs so traffic was never a bother.

Tyler smiled and dropped the camera as Rakel made for the stairs.

"Wear the blue Capri, please," Tyler called after her.

Gusty nudged at him and he bent down to tickle him under the chin. The dog panted in bliss with tail movement showing the sign of appreciation. Tyler then put the leash on Gusty without the dog making a fuss, he was thankful. Gusty didn't like a leash too well.

Twenty minutes and a cereal breakfast later, Rakel reappeared in a brown lace and chiffon top over a navy blue Capri pants. She wore a brown sneakers and a headband with a little bow put her afro in place.

"I'm ready!" she announced. Tyler took a few pictures but Gusty was too excited to stay still so they had to get going.

Tyler's phone started to make the annoying sound he'd called a ring tone. Rakel never liked cats so the 'meow' from the phone never appealed to her.

'Hi Esteer!"

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

CHAPTER 4

Esteer starred at her phone as she made a loud sigh, Tyler had decided to turn down their date yet again because of Rakeel. She flung her phone on the bed and yelled. The nerdy girl was beginning to get on her nerves; and she wasn’t too happy with Tyler too for letting her come between them. She couldn’t understand what Tyler had found in that ‘bubble butt' as Esteer had begin to call her. 

“It is not as if she is all that pretty,” Esteer said to herself as she removed her bathrobe.

The first time Tyler had shown her the picture of the girl on her phone, the first thing Esteer saw was how round and shapely her butt had been. She had teased Tyler about it and had been stuck with that image, and her big thick glasses ever since.

Rakeel, Esteer thought, where do you become more important? She picked up her bag as she made her way to the bathroom. She found what she was hunting for and another loud hiss escaped her lips. 

“Hot damn!!” 

She held the annoying items in front of her eyes as her mind wandered to what had transpired between herself and Sam ‘Hot prick' Bedfield. 

So Tyler had been complaining to her about how he had lost out on getting tqo tickets for himself and Rakeel to Asa's concert. The Nigerian singer was coming to Georgia and being a die-hard fan that Rakeel was, according to Tyler, he had wanted to surprise her. And Esteer had decided to be Hercules and had done the unspeakable to get the tickets for him. Sam had insisted on kissing her as the price for the tickets, he had used her plight and rejected her monetary offer. 

No one liked Sam, many still wondered what he was still doing in the form being that he had been complained about by many ladies in the past. His brother, Clayton was always covering for me and being a co-worker of the form, Sam was stuck on them like an annoying parasite.

Esteer held the tickets as if she wanted to tear them but she changed her mind. She had gone through horror to get them, there was no way she was going to just let the whole issue go by like that.

“So they going walking, huh, I might as well go on the same trail,” Esteer said to herself. That was an opportunity to see Miss Intruder in flesh. She’d seen many pictures of her, so many it had become annoying, and now it was time face the bull.

She stared at herself in the mirror as she got into the bathroom. Her full figure stared back at her like a glowing statue in all its glory. Esteer Sherman was a big breasted, hour glass figures voluptuous lady. She had the right curves and fat at the right places. No one would really notice her 77kg weight because of her height.

Many guys had found her intimidating in the past and she had taught herself to carry herself even higher with the right gait and charm. Esteer had decided to go on pixie hairstyle to suit her oval shaped face and she rarely ever wears make up on her face but she still looked spectacular in her fierceness hair. She looked good and she knew it.

“Omo to dun,” she said as she repeated what Tyler used to say to her. She never did understand what it meant but he had said it was a compliment. She turned on the faucet and stepped under the shower head. The warm water hit her skin with its soothing effect and Esteer forgot all about Tyler and his attaché for a while. It took her thirty minutes to be through and by the time she stepped out of the bathroom, she realized how time had gone. 

She hurriedly went to her wardrobe to find something to wear, she was going on a mission and she knew she had to dress the part.

“So she thinks she’s hot, let’s see if she can stand with me.” 

Her phone started to ring when she finally settled on a bodicon dress in purple. She slipped into her Oxford shoes as she quickly picked up her phone. 

“Yes, hello.”

“Where the f***k have you been!?” It was Kendra, her ex and colleague at work.

“How do you mean?’ she replied as she laced her shoes. Kendra had been trying to get her to go on a date with her for a while since their breakup. Their two year relationship had ended in disaster. It left both parties scarred, even when they had refused to admit it till it blew up in their faces. Esteer had gotten more than one restraining order against Kendra but the lady still always found a way to get near Esteer without being seen with her.

At one time, Esteer had found her gym locker burgled and her stuff sprinkled with ashes. Someone had also gotten into her office and had left her swivel chair tipped over and gashed. Personal belongings has been thrown all over the office. Esteer had caught glimpses of Kendra after each incidents, the latter was always with her new found smirk and evil stare.

Esteer had been working at her office for a year before realizing that Kendra was one of her bosses who had been sent abroad for a course. 

"I have been trying to reach you all morning. What the f***k is wrong with you?!!" Kendra shouted. Esteer rolled her eyes as she placed the phone on her dresser. 

"Watch your mouth, Kendra!!"

"I need the Grayson and Smith file, right kow. Bring it down to me, I'm on my way over to your house," Kendra said with such finality that Esteer couldn't help but swear.

"Don't bother, I'm out already. I'll bring it over tomorrow," Esteer said as she applied powder to her face.

"You are such a stupid liar!! I can see your car in the drive way," Kendra said with an obvious smirk.

Esteer dashed to her window and peered out, Kendra's parked SUV was right there at the other side of the street from her house.

"Shit!!" 

"I'm coming up if you don't want to bring it down," the lady said.

"I'm coming down. Stay away from my house, Kendra.!"

The last visit to her house had landed Esteer at the emergency room with a cut that took nine stitches. Kendra had gone into a savage rage when Esteer had decided to end the toxic relationship. No one ever believed that she could have been a victim of domestic violence. She was taller than Kendra and a little heavier. But no one acknowledged the fact that Kendra was a black belt with a retired boxer as a step father. She was this smiling, gushy harmless lady that everyone thought couldn't harm a fly.

She had harmed Esteer on so many occasions that the nurses had started calling her the clumsy sleepwalker; that was the lie Esteer always told on each trip to the emergency room till she got fed up.

Esteer thrusted the file at Kendra who stared back at her with her cold eyes. She snatched it from Esteer as she moved close to her.

"I know you are leaving, but where ever you go, I'll find you and so will hell," Kendra said.

"What are you talking about?" Esteer managed to blurt out. She had made sure to change job quietly without Kendra knowing till she wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

"I know everything, bitch!! If not me, then no one else!!" Kendra said as she got into her car.

"Stay away from me!! You don't scare me anymore!! Try anything stupid and you'll regret it,' Esteer said in anger.

"Have fun in Serf, while it lasts..." Kendra said finally as she drove off.

Esteer walked to her car in annoyance. Who did this to her? How did Kendra hear about her plans to work with Serf and Sergei? She couldn't think of anyone who could have done a thing as running his mouth, except...

Sam!!!!

CHAPTER 4

Rakel kept walking as if she wasn't interested in the conversation that was going on beside her. She had tried to not be too nosy about Esteer, but something about the lady just didn't sit right with Rakel. Esteer was Tyler's friend since their eight grade. According to Tyler, Esteer had appointed herself as her solicitor and guard every time Tyler was bullied and called the 'Nigerian Buffalo' by some school mates of theirs. She had been beating alongside Tyler in several occasions and they had healed together. They had grown so fond of each other till this day, that sometimes Rakel thought she was being unfair to not like Esteer. Rakel didn't have any problem with it, but when the lady started to call at odd hours insisting on long chats, Rakel began to dislike her.

"That was Esteer." Of course it was, who else would it be?

Tyler looked at her with a knowing smile, Rakel knew he was aware of her indifference to anything Esteer. He pulled her close and tried to kiss her, she went into his arms without showing any sign of what she actually had in her mind.

"She can never come between us, you know that right?" Tyler said as he planted a kiss on Rakel's neck. Gutsy gave a loud yelp and pulled at her leash bringing Tyler to move with her. Even Gutsy knew that Esteer was trouble, Rakel thought as she smiled lovingly at the dog. She wasn't going to let Esteer spoil her mood for the day, it was bright and sunny; a perfect day for a nice outing.

So why make an unimportant person spoil what she had planned? But was she unimportant really, Rakel thought in resignation.

She had never seen Esteer before, she had searched every social media but the lady didn't seem to like taking pictures. She had tried to find out what she looked like from Tyler, the guy had only laughed and had changed the topic. Rakel didn't want to seem pushy or unnecessary curious, so she had dropped it. But something in Rakel couldn't let the thought go and her research had come up with only one picture, a Halloween party with a witch with the body of a vixen.

A vixen!! How was Rakel supposed to compete with that body? She had always thought she had a lovely body but seeing how Esteer had the right meat at all the right angles made Rakel worried and somewhat envious. She glanced over at Tyler as the guy tried to unhitch Gutsy from his leash as they neared the dog park.

Tyler was a perfect man, he was tall and had the kind of body a gymnast would sweat to have, but his had been given with ease. His dark eyes were nicely set on his perfect face, he had a small dimple on his right cheek and had a perfect set of teeth. Rakel's mum had gotten carried away by his charm, and her dad, well he had never chatted about football and economy as he had done with Tyler Olorunfemi Fowobi.

"I am a Yoruba demon, we are made to last in every memory," he'd boast anytime he was teased. Rakel smiled to herself as she watched her man from her seat in front of the Indian food cart. She tried to study her environ and remove her mind from wandering but she couldn't help it. 

Esteer was not someone she had to wish away with a wishbone, in fact, she didn't think all the wishbones of the world could make the lady disappear from their life.

"But seriously, why are you so worried about someone that probably didn't care about you," Rakel said out loud to herself.

"Excuse me?!" 

"Sorry, I was talking to myself.  Can I have one hotdog and corn please," Rakel said to the man in the grease-soiled apron. 

Her eyes went to Tyler just as he started to wave excitedly, she was about to wave back when she realized that he hadn't been waving at her. She turned and watched as a lady started to walk in their direction. Rakel didnt know that she had held her breathe until what she had feared began to come to reality.

"Esteer, what are you doing here?" Tyler shouted as the lady rewarded him with the prettiest smile Rakel had ever seen.

Esteer's hair was as red as she had ever seen, a red head!! Rakel froze and almost fainted when the face began to form in her vision. 
Esteer was the lady in her dream.

CHAPTER 5

Esteer tried to scan the faces around the dog park as she walked in. She had wanted to dismiss the whole idea and turn back, but somehow she had convinced herself that it was the kind of distractiom she needed at the moment. Kendra had left a bitter taste in her mouth and she wasn't willing to let it last any longer. 

"What more distraction do I need aside being a stubborn third wheel," Esteer had told herself as she drove out of her street.

She had tried to think of several excuses she would have to give Tyler for bursting in on them like that. Only two of those had actually made any meaning to her, one was that she had decided to get a dog and the pound was just beside the park. If that didn't work, she'd decided to make a fake call to a fake client and an innocent man that would get kissed by a total stranger. She adjusted her gown as her focus located Tyler and a dog.

She had wanted to innocently bumped into him, but at the moment she had made to dodge behind a tree, Tyler's eyes found her.

Esteer was surprised that he had been alone, she tried to scan the faces of the people around him but no one had the kind of butt she was looking out for. By the time Esteer was beside the Indian food cart, Tyler had started waving her over. There was a lady at the cart that had started to wave back and had stopped to turn. Esteer made to smile and tell her that wave was for her when she saw the butt.

The waving lady was Rakel and she was the most beautiful girl Esteer had ever seen and she looked familiar. Esteer walked past her as fast as she could, and was in Tyler's arms before the guy could comport himself.

"Esteer, what are you doing here," Tyler said as Esteer went into his body with her signature killer smile. She was by now quite sure that Rakel had noticed her and was eyeing her.

"Look at you, who would have thought that I'd run into you here," Esteer answered as she went down to pat the dog.
"No, don't. She doesn't like..." Tyler stopped in mid-sentence when Gutsy began to lick Esther's hand in excitement.

"Huh? Dogs love me," Esteer said as Gutsy ran around her in circles with tail wagging.

"Why are you here," Tyler asked again as he glanced over at Rakel who by now had turned her back at them.

"It's a mere coincidence. I was just going to..."

"...the pound? This is Tyler, come on!" Tyler said as he smiled sheepishly at Esteer. Esteer laughed out loud then. Yes, they had used that line many times before, she should have used the fake client excuse.

"Anyway, I just wanted to see you and give you something," Esteer said as she opened her bag.

"Now that you are here, let me introduce you formally to Rakel," Tyler said as he guided Esteer towards the cart.

"Oh, she's here..."

"Stop it," Tyler said as he walked past her towards Rakel.

"Okay!!" Esteer replied as she innocently walked after Tyler.

Tyler said something to Rakel and she stood up reluctantly, and as she turned Esteer's heart stopped. Her steps faltered but she kept walking . She didn't want to let her thoughts ruin her mission. So whatever immediate reaction she was having was going to wait till she was home.

"Hello. I'm Rakel."

That was a voice she wouldn't mind waking up to for the rest of her life.

CHAPTER 6

Rakel woke suddenly as if someone had thrown a bucket of ice cubes on her. She reached for the ringing phone in front of her as she wiped her face with her palm. She had started to daydream about Esteer again. Now that she knew who she was, it had become very weird for her. 

"Yes, George... Yes, okay bring it in," Rakel said to the receiver. She knew she had not fallen asleep but she wasn't awake either. Her mind had voluntarily went to her inner sanctuary and Esteer had been the main object of her trance. She couldn't understand what was happening to her. George walked in then.

"Again huh?"

"This shouldn't be happening to me. We don't like Esteer, right?" Rakel as she paused to stare at George.

"We don't but when she gives you wet dreams, maybe we should," George said as he shook crumbs off his shirt.

Rakel walked up and down her office, trying to figure out what was happening but nothing she did was helping.

"Face it, you are bisexual," George said and Rakel almost collided with her trashcan.

"No, I'm not!!"

"Oh yeah. Remember Silvia? You fantasized about her for a long time," George said as he adjusted himself on the chair.

"That was just... Well, it was nothing," Rakel argued.

George shrugged as he got out of the chair. He told Rakel to start facing her realities and own it.

Rakel waved him away but deep inside her, she knew George might be right after all.

And that was not a good thing, or was it?
She liked girls, that thought had never crossed her mind in that way.

Then she remembered the hen night she had attended with her friend a while back. It was a lesbian couple and she'd had the best night of her life. She'd kissed so many girls and had liked it. When they were asked to bare it all, Rakel was the first person to go topless and the other girls had drank off her. It was fun, Silvia was the groom.

They had ended up in the couple's room and Rakel had been a very willing third wheel in their game that night. They had done things to her that she could never forget. Her name had been picked from a ballot for who was to be the gift for the couple. Rakel smiled to herself when she remembered how she had felt the next morning. It was a wonderful feeling.

"Shit, I'm bisexual!" She slopped into her seat laughing.

CHAPTER 7

Esteer dropped the last piece of book in a box and slopped into her recliner. Everyone had thought she'd gone soft when she'd reported at work with the delivery man. But she had had the most peaceful and romantic moments in that piece of furniture; even her moments of sorrow had often found her in that furniture. There were moment she had to sleep in the office and had found solace in that recliner. It was a piece she wasn't ready to part with. 

She adjusted the flower pot on the stand beside the recliner and sighed. It was the last addition to her office set up; the IT expert had convinced her that the camera in the flower pot was undetectable to everyone else but her. Esteer picked up the flower pot, fumbled absent mindedly with it and then she placed it. Maybe she'd still need it, she thought. She decided to make it the last item to be packed for relocation to her new apartment. 
She sensed a sudden whiff of perfume and turned just in time to catch Kendra as she jumped into her laps and pinned her down. 

"Get off me! What the hell do you want?" Esteer said as she shoved Kendra. The lady pinned her down further as she unbuttoned her shirt. She was braless and her nipples where inches away from Esteer's face. A moment of pleasure flashed through Esteer's mind, but it was replaced with the sorrow and horror the pleasure had come with. 

"These are the best titties you'd ever see and you know it. You know you want them in your mouth," Kendra said as she rubbed her breasts on Esteer's struggling face. She pinned the lady's hand behind her head and pinched her nipples with the other free hand.

"Are you crazy? Get off me," Esteer screamed louder as she made her best effort to push Kendra off. 

"If not me, then you're never going to get any," Kendra said as she released Esteer from her grip. She adjusted her blouse and patted Esteer on the cheek. Esteer slapped her hand away just in time to get off the recliner.

"You are sick. You need help," Esteer said as she moved away from Kendra. Kendra laughed as she walked out of the office.

Esteer went straight to the flower pot and brought out the hidden camera. She sighed deeply as she discovered that she'd pressed the record button earlier.

Maybe now she had to tell the bosses. 

CHAPTER 8

Samuel swore as he starred at the screen of Esteer's laptop. He couldn't believe what he was watching. Kendra could be seen on the screen as she pulled at Esteer, with Esteer struggling to get her off.

"I told you this but you didn't believe me," Esteer said as the screen went dark.

"But..but..."

"What? I know you told her I'm leaving," Esteer accused.

"Was it supposed to be a secret?" Samuel asked without remorse.

"It wasn't up to you to tell anyone, especially her!"

"And this happened when?" Samuel asked as he got out of his chair.

"Two days ago," Esteer replied as she returned her laptop into its bag. She then asked what was going to happen then.

"Don't worry about her. Please send a copy of the video to my personal email right now. I'll handle Kendra," Samuel said as he look directly at Esteer.

"I'll do that right now, I have a copy on my phone. I'll leave now and see you later," Esteer said as she stood up.

Samuel commented about her being irreplaceable. He thanked her for all she had done for the firm, and he promised to leave her job open for as long as he could.

"Just in case you realize we make you happier here," Samuel said with a smile. Esteer couldn't understand why he was suddenly being nice to her but she was leaving, she didn't care.

"No thanks, not with her still around," Esteer said under her breath.

"You really don't have to leave because of her. If I'd known I would not have accepted  your resignation," Samuel complained. Esteer smiled but said it was time to move on. 

"I need to find out if there are other good firms out there," Esteer said again. And be rid of  you toxic lots.

"You really shouldn't let her rule your life. I can recommend a therapist for you," Samuel said.

"It is okay," Esteer commented as she stood up to hug Samuel.

Kendra walked in then and smiled widely, "Oh get a room, you two."

Esteer thanked Samuel as they entangled and turned to leave. 

"No, thank you for everything, Esteer. I'll see you around and I'll miss fooling around with you," Samuel said as Esteer moved towards the door. 

"Is she going somewhere? Miss Elliot, are you leaving town?" Kendra asked as she crossed her legs.

Esteer didn't stop to answer her, she was too pissed to even look at her. Samuel closed the door after Esteer as he turned at the smiling Kendra.

"What the hell, Kendra?!!"
Kendra flashed her good-girl smile and asked what he was talking about.

"You and Esteer??!!" Kendra got up then and hugged Samuel.

"Honey, whatever she said, she lied," Kendra said as innocently as she could. Samuel pushed her back and held her arms tightly.

"Don't lie to me. I know everything," he threatened. Kendra's smile disappeared then as she also pulled away from Samuel.

"You're hurting me. What did she tell you," she said faintly.

"You swore that it was just that one time. You said I was the only one," Samuel said under his breathe as he confronted Kendra.

Kendra smiled and moved even closer to him. She ran her hands over his suit jacket as she tried to nibble at his lips. Samuel pushed her away as he flipped his phone open.

Kendra froze when she heard her voice coming from Samuel's phone. 

"That bitch! Im going to kill her," Kendra swore as she attempted to snatch the phone from Samuel.

"You are sick. You said you loved me, yet you are obsessed with someone else."

"Oh, get a grip, Samuel. She's just a girl,"Kendra said as she adjusted her dress and sat down. 

"So that makes it okay, huh?" Samuel asked angrily. 

"Well, yes. I'm done talking about this with you. It is not like you can do jack about it. I am going to leave now, so calm your horses," Kendra intoned as she stood up to leave.

"Oh yeah? We'll see about that. It's still my firm and I definitely can't have you here," Samuel said as the door flew open.

"Jesus Christ! Keep it down, guys!" Clayton, Samuel's brother said as he walked in.

"Tell your brother not to mess with me. I'll bury him if he dares to do anything stupid," Kendra said as she smiled at Clayton. She blew a kiss in Samuel's direction and strolled out.

"Samuel, what the hell is this about?" Clayton asked as the door closed after Kendra.

"Oh please Clayton. Don't start with me. Im not in the mood for your pep talk," Samuel said as Clayton walked up to him.
Clayton sat down on the seat Kendra had vacated and starred at his brother.

They had started the firm from their backyard. They had gone from houses to houses selling their ideas and products. Many times they had been laughed at and teased but they had persevered and together they had crossed the worst hurdles. Their bond had gotten them out of situations and tough spots. 

"Kendra is not worth it, Sam. I told you from the start," Clayton said as Samuel calmed himself. 

"I don't know what you are talking about" Samuel said. 

"Yeah, I may have acted as if I didn't know but I knew that you guys have been in the affair for a long time," Clayton interjected. Samuel shook his head and stood up again.

"You won't understand," he said defiantly.

"Maybe not, but I know she is toxic," Clayton said.

"Hey!!"

"I mean it. Do you know that Kendra had walked up to me two years ago to get rid of you," Clayton said, this brought Samuel to a halt.

"What?"

"She said it was better if you were out of the picture for good," Clayton continued, "That you are too slow and you are bringing the company down."

Samuel swore but kept quiet. Clayton explained how Kendra had tried to persuade him to take the company for himself and get rid of Samuel. 

"That bitch!! How was I so blind?" Samuel muttered.

"What's done is done. I think she's dangerous and we should be careful and watch her," Clayton said as he stood up. Samuel then told Clayton about Esteer and Kendra, they decided it was time to take firm actions against kendra. She needed to be transferred to another city and relegated.

Chapter 9

The streets looked better at night, Rakel decided as she backed her car into a parking spot in front of the building she had been visiting for the past one year. She had always loved how darkness helped her mood and opened her mind. She had forever found solace in her solitude and it had often caused great discomfort to Tyler. He never could understand why they had to lay in bed in the dark, or make love with the lights off.

She paused as she locked her car and tried to scan the faces of the people going into the building. When her uncle had suggested to her to join the group, Rakel had thought it was a total waste of time. To her, it was not worth it and she didn't see the need to sit amongst strangers and share her private thoughts and fears.

But it had turned out to be just what she needed to heal. She'd booked a private session and it had turned into a family group over time. The doctor had suggested a smaller group and it had worked for her. 

Rakel smiled to herself as she watched Mavin struggling up the stairs. He had always thought stairs were not good for anyone.

"I am not going any further," Mavin said as he stopped to sit on the last step. His guide dog, Keira, tugged at the helm of his trousers as it growled quietly.

They had been like this since Rakel joined the group. Almost every night, Rakel would find Mavin and Keira at the spot, having the same man-and-his-dog conversation. Keira was always the one to win as Mavin would finally hustle up the stairs as he followed the guide dog faithfully. 

Mavin had suffered a lot of trauma in his life. He was in the army once and had been abused by his unit Commander as the only openly gay soldier in his squad. His mind had given out and he'd finally ran into enemy fire hoping to die, but he'd survived it. Now he had impaired vision, a mechanical left wrist and even a prosthetic left leg. 

"Hello, Keira," Rakel said as she went after the duo.

Mavin smiled widely as he stretched his hand out to Rakel. Rakel shook his hand as she stroked Keira quickly, the dog didn't like too much petting.

They were six in the group; Rakel, Mavin, Cecil the night guard, Kevin the Chinese dwarf, Plato who thought he was the most handsome man in the universe, and then there was Princess Kara, a self acclaimed African royalty in a country they'd never heard of. 

"Please settle down," Sherry said as they all gathered inside the room. 

Sherry was their therapist and was the gentlest person Rakel had ever known. Everyone had no problems opening up to her about their deepest secrets. She didn't have to probe or push. She just nurtured and counselled till you'd feel comfortable enough to let her help. 

"We have someone new joining us. She'd be with us in a few minutes. Kindly welcome her and Plato, please behave," Sherry said as she smiled at Plato.

"Yes, no flirting with the new girl," Kuka said as she pulled her chair close to Plato and stroked his hair. Plato stared as he comically looked like he'd been pained.

"Hey, it's not my fault that women are drawn to me... I am..."

"Hi Sherry."

Rakel froze, Esteer was standing gracefully in the doorway.

• 4 months later...