Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Should Nigerian Churches Pay Tax? World’s Richest Pastor David Oyedepo answers Reuters, “For what?”

FlyJ

• Administrators

David-Oyedepo-August-2014-BN-News-BellaNaija.com-01-600x417.jpg

Forbes released a publication last week on the top 10 ten richest pastors in the world in which 5 are Nigerians.

Sitting at the top of the list with $150 million is David Oyedepo, Bishop of Living Faith Church, better known as “Winners Chapel”.

Reuters examined this phenomenon in a recent article, stating,

“…”megachurches”… form a huge, untaxed sector of Africa’s top economy. Hundreds of millions of dollars change hands each year in these popular Pentecostal houses of worship.”

For the article, they spoke with the Bishop, who had the following to say about his estimated net worth and if churches should be taxed, (a recent topic at the National Conference),

"About Forbes Estimation of his Net Worth

“For me, to have fortune means someone who has what he needs at any point in time. I don’t see myself as having $150 million stacked up somewhere. Whatever way they found their figures, I am only able to say I am blessed by the Lord.”

Should Nigerian Churches be Taxed?

“There is no single government input on this premises,” (Referring to Canaanland and Covenant University)

Oyedepo told Reuters ,“We supply our water, we make our roads, then you … say: ‘Let’s tax them’. For what?”

The Reuters article claimed Jonathan will not address the tax issue before the upcoming elections, “it is debatable whether President Goodluck Jonathan, who is close to several megapastors, would risk upsetting these influential men and their hefty congregations with a fat tax bill.”

What is your take ladies? Should churches be taxed or not?

Source

They should be taxed. After all the money they get from people, they should give back to the society and thereby the people by paying taxes.

Absolutely.. Churches should be forced to pay taxes without a doubt since it has become a lucrative enterprise in Nigeria. imagine traders and workers who sweat Monday through Friday and sometimes 247 to make ends meet yet they are being subjected to paying tax yet the churches have such an easy ride where as they make more profit just by Sunday services. Besides are we not equal in the eye of the law? so why give churches some preferential treatment? I simply believe without a doubt that churche should be taxed just like every other business organisation.

• Upvote 1

no. churches should not be taxed,but the pastors should.

They can beat that legally. I think that's wot dey call incorporation? am not sure. Anyway the pastor may have no dime to his name and all the money will be in the churches name, like Steve jobs while alive wz paid a salary of I think $1 a year.

there must definitely be a salary structure in the church. all the money can't be in the church's name, I know pastors are paid salaries.

so the salaries should be taxed,since govt tax the self employed we can assume these pastors are self employed too.

I don't know jare,I know its wrong to tax a church but the money these pastors are making ain't funny.

there must definitely be a salary structure in the church. all the money can't be in the church's name, I know pastors are paid salaries.

so the salaries should be taxed,since govt tax the self employed we can assume these pastors are self employed too.

I don't know jare,I know its wrong to tax a church but the money these pastors are making ain't funny.

There are salary structures but taxing their salaries is like taxing pennies and ignoring the pounds.

That's God's business(literally)...

hmmm. I no longer know who God has called and who has called God anymore. so how do I knw that God is in that business and which god are we talking of sef?

There are salary structures but taxing their salaries is like taxing pennies and ignoring the pounds.

agreed but that's the right thing to do. you cant tax the. church and you can't blame the church for having pounds,it was given willingly by members.