Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

lgbt activism

Lavive

Do you think there could ever be a shift in rights for gays in Nigeria? Would it take a miracle?

I've met Nigerians here (abroad) who in private will accept us as a married couple but publicly as a whole, not so much. My wife and I are are waiting on legal nonsense so I can assume my wife's tribal last name. I am hopeful and excited it will happen. Things are rapidly changing here but I wish the same for naija.

• Upvote 1

The next generation if we raise up our kids to be tolerant, not judgemental, jungle justice delivering people. Our kids should be taught to live the life they choose and not to interfere in the choice of lifestyle the other person chooses. #WarAgainstSundaySchool.

I don't see it happening anytime soon, I mean how can we ask Nigerians to accept the LGBT community when Nigerians haven't fully accepted themselves, we still battle discrimination against religion, colour and culture/ehnic groups... I know 1 Igbo sis that will never marry a yoruba guy, A christian sis doesn't wanna marry a muslim brother... YES the change will happen surely but slowly very slowly.

I don't see it happening anytime soon, I mean how can we ask Nigerians to accept the LGBT community when Nigerians haven't fully accepted themselves, we still battle discrimination against religion, colour and culture/ehnic groups... I know 1 Igbo sis that will never marry a yoruba guy, A christian sis doesn't wanna marry a muslim brother... YES the change will happen surely but slowly very slowly.

A lion cannot move with goats in the name of not discriminating, but a lion does not eat a goat because it eats grass.

• Administrators

I agree. It will take a while for that to happen.

• 7 months later...

*What else will it take for change to happen?

Its happening, but can't quickly happen except there are more conglomerates, perhaps hidden, but a network where motive towards change is more clear.

LGBT members, must also place themselves in more strategic positions in the society through special skills - there are times only you can do a particular thing because you alone have what it takes.

Agitation through writings; public papers etc - make sure you are secure online though for this is the safest medium for now...

And form foreign alliances, to support your blue plans, not just for financial empowerment.

Most times, you have to visit a more free location to be able to align all these. But I've also seen that correspondence can happen as effectively through mails, letters and video/ phone calls etc, as it can, live. Except its a rally, which you can also privately stage here in Nigeria and send video clips (don't argue me here, you know what I mean)

Point is if everyone keeps mute and is comfortable, it won't happen

*Call it a job if truly its one.

First step: Have you really come out to yourself or is it just sex for you? Sneak in here and send secret PM messages? "Hello!, you and I aren't one, will never be one"

Second step: Do you really think gay people deserve their rights like all human beings or do you still think God will kill you, yet you tango in secret? This isn't what God said to me, if you can't cope, quit! - hiding behind me! - or ask and know what HE said already. Or will you go against your belief?

*You'll defend only what you believe.

If you think its a lie, how can you defend it? Attention! to live a lie is misery.

The problem with gay rights here is that some people don't truly believe in it, not other way round. And they will readily cite a reason for their fear. If you truly believe, go for it (again don't argue with me here, you know what I mean)

No one will hand it to you, if this is your wait, wait ahead

• Upvote 3

I think many people here don't see it happening because they are not involved in the struggle and we need to change that.

Yes things are happening, organizations like TIERS in Lagos, WHER in Abuja, AGE in Kano and House of Rainbow in Enugu/PH are actively working to change opinions in the grassroots. I guess it is less obvious to us here because so much of their work is with gay men (lesbains are always a far second). Has anyone here checked out www.whereloveisacrime.org since it was launched during IDAHOT? I think we need to stop waiting to be asked and just show up at the party!

For instance did you know that the first time NOI conducted their survey there was a 98% approval rating? Now that they have conducted another, the approval has reduced to 86%. This is not a monumental change but it is significant still! Minds are changing everyday. From Kenny Badmos' to Denrele's low key coming out, to an effiminite man getting tons of support on Linda Ikeji of all blogs...

I think we missed an opportunity in 2014 when the bill passed. There was so much discussion around homosexuality but we allowed the media to set the agenda and lead the discourse. That needs to change. We need to own and shape the conversation and this time, we have to build the momentum (which might take a scandal, a few arrest or a court action). There will likely be be some kickback but every war has its collateral damage.

Anyways, what I am trying to say is we can't wish for change and not do anything to bring it on. I make an effort to meet lots of people off this site and form an offline community of vibrant conversations (if you are in Abuja and we haven't met, what have you been doing with yourselves?) but we need to start taking more proactive actions. Even if it is by these online engagements, attending community events at these centers or picking up free LGBTQI books and sharing it with others

P.S

Loving so much of what Calla is saying! And I think this forum can handle more of this kinds of conversations.

• Upvote 3

• Administrators

*What else will it take for change to happen?

Its happening, but can't quickly happen except there are more conglomerates, perhaps hidden, but a network where motive towards change is more clear.

LGBT members, must also place themselves in more strategic positions in the society through special skills - there are times only you can do a particular thing because you alone have what it takes.

Agitation through writings; public papers etc - make sure you are secure online though for this is the safest medium for now...

And form foreign alliances, to support your blue plans, not just for financial empowerment.

Most times, you have to visit a more free location to be able to align all these. But I've also seen that correspondence can happen as effectively through mails, letters and video/ phone calls etc, as it can, live. Except its a rally, which you can also privately stage here in Nigeria and send video clips (don't argue me here, you know what I mean)

Point is if everyone keeps mute and is comfortable, it won't happen

*Call it a job if truly its one.

First step: Have you really come out to yourself or is it just sex for you? Sneak in here and send secret PM messages? "Hello!, you and I aren't one, will never be one"

Second step: Do you really think gay people deserve their rights like all human beings or do you still think God will kill you, yet you tango in secret? This isn't what God said to me, if you can't cope, quit! - hiding behind me! - or ask and know what HE said already. Or will you go against your belief?

*You'll defend only what you believe.

If you think its a lie, how can you defend it? Attention! to live a lie is misery.

The problem with gay rights here is that some people don't truly believe in it, not other way round. And they will readily cite a reason for their fear. If you truly believe, go for it (again don't argue with me here, you know what I mean)

No one will hand it to you, if this is your wait, wait ahead

I agree with you. I think the first question should be the starting point of the conversation.

..and all the hype about the community not being in tandem, ...the first concern for any community woulld be it's right to exist freely yet lawfully within a bigger whole, isn't it?

Inch by Inch everything's a Cinch. Now I can see that this is so possible though it will have to take subtlety at first.

So whats the blueprint like? What's the definite plan?

• 4 years later...
On 6/14/2015 at 8:35 PM, Calllaris said:

This will definitely be key.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2014 at 4:44 AM, Lavive said:

My wife and I are are waiting on legal nonsense so I can assume my wife's tribal last name.

@Txunamy Would you take my last name?

• Like 1