Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Jonathan impeachment, what's your take?

Abystacy

NIGERIAN senators have joined their counterparts in the House of Representatives in implementing at impeachments proceedings against President Goodluck Jonathan in response to his recent decision to seal off the National Assembly.

On Thursday, soldiers and policemen sealed off the National Assembly complex preventing members of the House of Representatives from gaining entry into the premises. This was in response to the recent defection of the speaker of the House, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal to the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) from the People's Democratic Party (PDP).

Following the locking of the National Assembly, which forced several legislators to clamber over the fence to get into the building, as many as 148 members of the House of representatives signed the impeachment notice. This plot has now spread to the Senate, with a growing number of Senators enthusiastic to team up with the members of the lower chamber to get the president impeached.

They are unhappy with the growing impunity by the federal government, which not only culminated in the sealing off of the National Assembly but also resulted in armed policemen tear-gassing parliamentarians. Eventually, the legislators forced their way in and got speaker Tambuwal to his chair in the chamber.

Several senators, led by those from the northeast where President Jonathan proposes to extend the emergency rule in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States, are said to be leading the plot. They have begun meeting to plan how to convince and win other senators to buy into and support the pro-impeachment lawmakers.

One Senate source said: “Things will get clearer by Tuesday 25 when the Senate will resume plenary. I know of a fact that there have been series of clandestine meetings where the plot was mooted.”

In a bid to derail the plot, the Senate leadership is said to be labouring to calm frayed nerves as a motion for impeachment may be moved as early as December ***. One Senator added that things will no longer be the same in the National Assembly.

What's your take on this matter?

Personally I think it's rather too late for that kind of movement. its more like the cat calling the kettle black. The whole house of representives and house Senate should start by removing themselves from the seat....

Moreover,we can't say we are truly practicing the "damned democracy ish"...

Personally I think it's rather too late for that kind of movement. its more like the cat calling the kettle black. The whole house of representives and house Senate should start by removing themselves from the seat....

Moreover,we can't say we are truly practicing the "damned democracy ish"...

LOL.

We are pawns in this political game bt I tink Nigerians r now livid.

• Administrators

I find it hard to believe the Senators not to talk of the media these days.

Rightly put by @Abystacy it is too late.

• Like 1

I dont understand why the senators from the northeast are opposing emergency rule in northeastern Nigeria, given the BH debacle, it really seems that there is more than meets the eye here. Everyone expects JEG to act on BH and then he proposes emergency rule and those overpaid tins want to impeach him, I just don't understand. On the issue of Tambuwal, that dude became speaker on the platform of PDP, meaning that the PDP majority voted him to be speaker,hence if he doesn't want to belong to PDP anymore he should simply vacate the speaker seat ,that clearly was a benefit of being a PDP member. I don't understand why the dude wants to eat his cake and have it.

Rily. Mimiko won d Governorship Election under d platform of d Labour Party. He defected to PDP a few months ago and u shd av seen d cavalcade!

Then again, I heard in some quarters that Jonathan keeps extending the emergency rule in d North because he doesn't want elections to hold there, knowing full well he won't garner much votes in dat clime. This isn't a fact bt I'm tinking this so called 'Emergency Rule' has outlived its usefulness. Wats left is a charade.

Tambuwal is loved by his colleagues, d President's show at d National Assembly last week confirmed it..even though they all are conniving thieves.

Personally, I concede, this Jonathan's administration is a huge joke! But those over paid members of national assembly clamoring for his impeachment are bigger clowns! They are no better, pot calling kettle black.

Lol..you can eat ur cake and have it by eating part of it and putting d rest in d fridge.

Hahahahahaha! This really cracked me up!

Funny you!