Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Are You in Your Skin?

FlyJ

• Administrators

InYourSkin-237668ba.jpeg

Who am I? That tends to be the question that many people ask themselves. Yet, it seems this question is posed more within the LGBTQ community. It's hard enough to exist in this world as an individual with a distinct skin tone, race or religion. However, by adding "homosexual" to this equation, the answer to this question becomes much more complex.

Why is it that people tend to place a label on everything they don't understand? I see this often with women in particular. You see a woman with looser fitting pants that works in construction and automatically she is deemed butch or man-like. Or take the woman with the tight-fitting dress and stilettos, she must then be a feminine, bitchy woman, or so some people assume. What if they're completely opposite to what one might see? What if they're two driven, headstrong, loving women? Why do people see past the qualities that make them who they really are and instead opt to see the exterior based on appearance and/or orientation? The labeling goes on and slowly but surely we allow these labels to take form and mold this "ideal self." Isn't it enough that we're judged on a daily basis? Why are the extra sub-categories necessary?

These labels are minor compared to the ones that come from outside the LGBTQ community. We've all heard some of the things people say about how they feel homosexuals cannot raise children the "correct way" or how it's impossible for us to have monogamous relationships, or—to take it even further—how all homosexuals are liberal minded. It almost seems impossible to know who you are when you're constantly being placed into a box and being expected to be or act a certain type of way.

Is it possible to be in your own skin? I'd have to say yes! When you're in your skin, you are existing as your true self. Whether you wear looser fitting clothing and Victoria's Secret underneath or prefer Fido over a child running around, you are tearing down the labels and expectations that tend to come with your orientation. Nothing or no one should define who you are regardless to your sexual preference, status, upbringing or the way you dress. You are you! You should no longer worry about answering to those whose opinions don't matter and the idea of "fitting in" should become non-existent. Try fitting into yourself. Figure out who you are by listening to the only voice that matters, your own. I feel that makes life much easier to handle.

Let's read your thoughts.

It will do some people good by not commenting....save data even..

That being said;thanks OP for this wonderful post;...It's very possible to comfortable in your own skin..start with first acceptance and self love. Stop comparing yourself to others, we are all born differently and as such have different perception to life and situations. .stop dwelling so much on what others think of you. Believe in yourself and strength. .develop self confidence and accept you for who you are..I believe being confident is a vital tool to being comfortable in you skin. Above all love yourself and be at peace

That being said;thanks OP for this wonderful post;...It's very possible to comfortable in your own skin..start with first acceptance and self love. Stop comparing yourself to others, we are all born differently and as such have different perception to life and situations. .stop dwelling so much on what others think of you. Believe in yourself and strength. .develop self confidence and accept you for who you are..I believe being confident is a vital tool to being comfortable in you skin. Above all love yourself and be at peace

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.. this is wicked.

who are the people u advising not to comment n save data in the process?....#justcurious#

It would do " some people" some good to advise themselves before giving other people any form of advise....what do u assume gives u the right to say "some people " should not comment?..if u were smart enough ,then u ought have known that tatoo has a lot to do with labels.....Not everyone measures the level of their data before they come online....well if u do,then I offer to supply u data for the rest of the year so u can find some peace.

InYourSkin-237668ba.jpeg

Who am I? That tends to be the question that many people ask themselves. Yet, it seems this question is posed more within the LGBTQ community. It's hard enough to exist in this world as an individual with a distinct skin tone, race or religion. However, by adding "homosexual" to this equation, the answer to this question becomes much more complex.

Why is it that people tend to place a label on everything they don't understand? I see this often with women in particular. You see a woman with looser fitting pants that works in construction and automatically she is deemed butch or man-like. Or take the woman with the tight-fitting dress and stilettos, she must then be a feminine, bitchy woman, or so some people assume. What if they're completely opposite to what one might see? What if they're two driven, headstrong, loving women? Why do people see past the qualities that make them who they really are and instead opt to see the exterior based on appearance and/or orientation? The labeling goes on and slowly but surely we allow these labels to take form and mold this "ideal self." Isn't it enough that we're judged on a daily basis? Why are the extra sub-categories necessary?

These labels are minor compared to the ones that come from outside the LGBTQ community. We've all heard some of the things people say about how they feel homosexuals cannot raise children the "correct way" or how it's impossible for us to have monogamous relationships, or—to take it even further—how all homosexuals are liberal minded. It almost seems impossible to know who you are when you're constantly being placed into a box and being expected to be or act a certain type of way.

Is it possible to be in your own skin? I'd have to say yes! When you're in your skin, you are existing as your true self. Whether you wear looser fitting clothing and Victoria's Secret underneath or prefer Fido over a child running around, you are tearing down the labels and expectations that tend to come with your orientation. Nothing or no one should define who you are regardless to your sexual preference, status, upbringing or the way you dress. You are you! You should no longer worry about answering to those whose opinions don't matter and the idea of "fitting in" should become non-existent. Try fitting into yourself. Figure out who you are by listening to the only voice that matters, your own. I feel that makes life much easier to handle.

Let's read your thoughts.

@flyj thanks for this piece. This is the second piece am reading from you and it shows your logical perception of the world/society we live in. It's amazing how ones body size/clothe size and even shoe size defines an individual not just the way we dress. It hurts when people look at you an assume a pear shaped body should look like an hour-glass and acceptance of such people is based on how they look not what's in their hearts. I love my body. Fat and all and I find it annoying when people ask stupid questions and make stupid assumption just because there is a stereotypical idea of how a woman's body should be. I hope this speaks to every one seriously and gives enough for reflection because lots of women do this to each other.

• Moderators

It would do " some people" some good to advise themselves before giving other people any form of advise....what do u assume gives u the right to say "some people " should not comment?..if u were smart enough ,then u ought have known that tatoo has a lot to do with labels.....Not everyone measures the level of their data before they come online....well if u do,then I offer to supply u data for the rest of the year so u can find some peace.

I hope you know that Abystacy"s post wasn't directed at you. A post (that I have since deleted) had been made before yours that just said "space booked". That was what Abystacy was talking to/ about.

I hope you know that Abystacy"s post wasn't directed at you. A post (that I have since deleted) had been made before yours that just said "space booked". That was what Abystacy was talking to/ about.

obviously I did not know if Abystacy was referring to me or not....if u would scroll up u would see where I quoted Aby and asked first who she was referring to ,before I replied.I did not just go ahead n write this.I am a big advocate for communication.There wasn't any other post there at the time I read it... and Aby did not reply to my question so I replied but didnt quote her.Even Iris who found it so funny then didnot say Aby wasn't referring to me ,now she's saying !That's right"!...Moresko now that u mentioned u deleted the "space booked "comment..I now remember that comment n the the poster. ..Aby and I only communicate here when necessary and do not communicate outiside the forum at all but we never cross each other's boundaries no matter what..so I began to wonder...I'm glad u weren't referring to me...this was a big fat misunderstanding... so I am sorry Abystacy.

P.S.

Thanks for clearing the air Moresko.

I do not communicate with anyone outside this forum. I did not communicate with anyone outside this forum. The reason I said 'That's right' is best known. I will not speak for anybody.

I NEVER said u should communicate with me outside the forum (trust me,). There are people i communicate with outside the forum ,there are people i used to communicate with outside the forum then chose to cut off communication with them...the fact that u said "that's right "...indicated u supported the fact that Abystacy wasn't referring to me..meaning u were also speaking for her ,therein lies reason why I said u did not say that at the time.

Hahahaha lol you're really funny? What are you talking about, Sleeky? This is uncalled for. Sorry, you digressed, that’s it. ‘I do not and I did not communicate with anyone outside this forum’ meant I didn’t talk to anyone about this topic ‘outside the forum’. The comment before Aby’s comment is what it is, hence, my response to Aby’s, to Moresko’s. Following that line of thought, I do not owe you an explanation.

If this means “speaking for Aby", to you...well, you own your own intellect.

P.S- If you feel there’s anything I should tell you, please ask me directly. I do not report to you. Ask me directly.

Iris u involved urself in the topic that has to do with me ,and I even mentioned ur name in my reply to moresko's explanation. why in God's name would u owe me an explanation? or report to me?..lmao..if u had not involved urself in the issue I wouldn't have involved u.I did not digress.. read ur reply to me.. anytime u involve urself in anything that has to do with me, then I will respond to u by mentioning ur name like I did..ur intellect and mine r clearly different.