Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Sweet Potato and Plantain Frittata - Chef Alex

FlyJ

• Administrators

Chef-Alex-pic-400x600.jpg

I’ve been itching to cook with authentic Nigerian ingredients and flavours, and so I haven’t rested much since my arrival. I opened up my fridge this morning and found a big bowl of egg whites from yesterday’s baking extravaganza, and a light bulb clicked on in my head – make a frittata for breakfast.

So…here goes…

You will Need (for *** servings):

• Egg whites from 10-12 eggs

• ½ large or 1 small plantain

• 1 medium sweet potato

• One Romano Pepper (tatashe)

• ½ onion

• Vegetable oil, salt and sweet paprika to taste

1-600x415.jpg

How To

Slice up the tatashe and onion. Chop the plantain into large dice and the sweet potato into smaller dice.

2-600x523.jpg

Place a large frying pan (choose one with a lid) on high heat with about a tablespoon of oil; add the onion, plantain and sweet potato when it heats up. Fry for ***-5 minutes, stirring quite often.

Turn down the heat to medium; add the tatashe and fry for another 7-10 minutes.

3-600x446.jpg

Turn the heat down to very low, pour in the egg whites, sprinkle salt and sweet paprika to taste and cover the pan.

4-529x600.jpg

Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the whites appear cooked.

51-600x600.jpg

There it is! Quick, easy and yummy – I recommend this recipe for readers on the go early in the morning or on an early lunch break from work. It pairs very well with whole-wheat toast or a savoury breakfast scone, but is a meal unto itself for lighter eaters.

Source

• Like 1

Looks nice. Frittata.

A different kind of fritta; I make though, banana fritta's.When banana's go soft in the fridge, I don't mind because they are useful for saturday morning frittas. No wastes.

Blend few very soft banana fruits into a bow as juice. Add in some flour, egg, chopped red pepper and onions. Blend together with a wooden spoon into a paste. Add some salt, to taste. Let paste be light/ fluid. Heat up your vegetable oil and deep fry till its light brown.It turns into brown flat balls. Serve with cereal.