Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Oliseh eyes Jordon Ibe – Report

FlyJ

• Administrators

Jordan-Ibe.jpg

New Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh is planning to meet with Jordon Ibe to persuade the Liverpool’s rising star to commit his international future to Nigeria, AfricanFootball.com reports.

Ibe, who was born in London to Nigerian parents, has represented England at the U-18 and U-19 levels. However, the teenager is still eligible to play for Nigeria at the senior level.

Earlier this year, the Nigeria Football Federation hinted they were making efforts to get Ibe to commit to Nigeria.

“Oliseh, who has returned to Europe, will meet with Jordon Ibe to explain to him that he has a brighter future with Nigeria than England,” an official told AfricanFootball.com.

Last season, the 19-year-old made his debut for Liverpool’s first team after he played on loan at Derby County.

Meanwhile, Ibe says he wants to prove himself to Brendan Rodgers as Liverpool seek to replace Raheem Sterling for the new season.

Ibe impressed for the Reds last term after being recalled from his loan spell at Championship side Derby County, featuring in 14 games for the Merseysiders as they finished sixth in the table, according to Goal.

And when asked about the void left by Sterling’s £49m switch to Manchester City, Ibe wished his former teammate well but now has every intention of seizing the chance to become an Anfield regular.

“He’s a good player, I’m happy for him,” Ibe told Channel 9.

“It’s a chance for me to prove myself to the gaffer and hopefully I can get a chance to play in the Premier League.”

Ibe played the full 90 minutes as the Reds defeated Adelaide United 2-0 in Australia on Monday, courtesy of goals from new signings James Milner and Danny Ings, and the 19-year-old is hoping the Reds can carry their pre-season form into the new campaign.

“It’s good for all the young players to get out there, especially for me,” he said.

“Hopefully I can do well in the pre-season, improve and show I can play in the first team.

“It’s been a lot of hard work, a lot of double sessions, but I’m enjoying the training, hopefully when the season starts we’re all fit and we can win games.”

Source

• Like 1