Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Do Animals Show Any Special Care Towards Children?

Iris

"Animals" is a big category. Not sure a bee knows that a child is a member of the same species as the parent. But even an insect may know, if the chemical identifier is the same. For example, mosquitoes will bite human adults and children just the same.

But if you want to know about domestic animals, for example dogs, I'm sure that dogs know that children are human. They seem to know very well that they are the young ones in their human pack. There are countless examples of dogs being protective of human babies or children, and showing special gentleness for human children.

This is not surprising given that dogs are social animals just like us, and that they are protective and gentle with puppies as well.

A little illustration:

My female dog, Lola is her name and a pitbull mix. She's friendly to people and loves visitors, but she loves to play "rough". For example we have a thick rope with which she loves playing tug-of-war and she is a powerhouse! She will pull very hard and sometimes I feel she'll pop my shoulder out! I'm exaggerating but this is to say that when it comes to tug-of-war, she does not hold back! She also does not let go until I give her the command to drop the rope.

So once some friends visited with their 7 year old daughter, who loves dogs. Immediately the little girl went for the rope, and Lola went for the other end. I got up as fast as I could to intervene, having mental images of the little girl splattered against the wall from Lola's vigorous rope thrashing.

But hey, Lola grabbed the rope in her jaws and gently shook her head from side to side, playing with the girl but not really pulling at all! She actually let the little girl win! I was astonished. Somehow Lola knew that she could not pull as hard as she does when she plays with me or with my grown sons or with my other dog, Nero. She knew she had to be gentle and not use her usual force.

There's a mind behind those eyes. I have no doubt.

Susan Whales

When I was a bit younger, my uncle had a dog named Rizzler (lol) and to say the dog was a terror was an understatement. It was disrespectful, cranky and answered to nobody but my uncle. Even I who fancies myself a dog whisperer of some sorts gave him a wide berth unless it was absolutely necessary, And so it wasn't very long before he gained a reputation in the neighborhood.. One night, after he had been set loose, we suddenly realized one of the younger kids was missing. Her mum was frantic, fearing the worst a few of us went down to look for her. Do you know where we found her? Rizzlers cage.. She was mauling the poor thing, pulling his ears and hair and he just sat there taking it. Sure he looked pissed as hell but he just held his head high and let do her thing. He wasn't even growling! And this is a dog whose cage you couldn't approach unless you were holding food. I was astonished. He did start growling when he noticed us though but still he made no attempt to even shake the girl off. It was so adorable.. Dogs are way more brilliant and sentient than we give them credit for.

Btw, this same dog, wandered into the church behind my uncles house, met some old women sweeping there, stared at them for a while and then left. They were petrified, they came to tell my uncle.

If i should let what's being shown on telly/nollywood get a better part of me,i'd think my dog *suzzy* is a human of some sort prolly a wicked aunt dt turned into a dog and found its way to my abode just to spite me. Damn!!! I haven't seen a dog as mischievous as suzzy...bt i love her still and won't trade her for another :D

If i should let what's being shown on telly/nollywood get a better part of me,i'd think my dog *suzzy* is a human of some sort prolly a wicked aunt dt turned into a dog and found its way to my abode just to spite me. Damn!!! I haven't seen a dog as mischievous as suzzy...bt i love her still and won't trade her for another biggrin.gif

Hmmmn if your dog is all that you say she is, she just might trade you one day

*runs away*

If i should let what's being shown on telly/nollywood get a better part of me,i'd think my dog *suzzy* is a human of some sort prolly a wicked aunt dt turned into a dog and found its way to my abode just to spite me. Damn!!! I haven't seen a dog as mischievous as suzzy...bt i love her still and won't trade her for another :D/>

Lmao, so funny

Hmmmn if your dog is all that you say she is, she just might trade you one day

*runs away*

Lol...lemme not catch u <_<