Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Mob Sets Man Ablaze For Stealing Pot Of Soup

Calllaris

Link: https://www.naij.com...ad-mob-man.html

Image: http://t0.gstatic.co...ESgA8HEz0I-qVS0

A large group of people on Sunday, August 23, in Calabar, Cross River state butchered and set a young man ablaze for reportedly robbing a woman of a pot of soup while two of his accomplices got away. According to Vanguard, the suspected thief in company of two others were said to have attacked the woman early in the morning at No ***, Mayne Avenue Extension in Calabar South.

It was gathered that they were attracted by the smell of the soup the woman was heating up in readiness to eat with her children before attending morning mass, when they decided to cart away with the pot of soup.A young man who lives in the same premises with the lady, who prefers anonymity said: “It was almost dawn when the boys attacked the woman and carried her pot of soup and when they were about getting out of the compound, she raised an alarm and people came out and pursued them. They caught up with the one carrying the pot of soup and dealt him several machete cut before setting him ablaze.”

He also said the man was not able to run as fast as his accomplices because he did not drop the pot of soup but was running with it which gave the mob the opportunity to catch up with him and butcher him.

According to him: “This is not the first time they have come to our compound to steal. Last week they removed the car battery of one of our neighbours and once night falls, they waylay people, especially ladies around Goldie by Atu and snatch their handbags and phones.”

A similar case took place in Lagos state when a suspected thief who was caught stealing a brain box from a car on Wednesday, August 19, was reportedly beaten and set ablaze by an angry mob in Apapa area.

The jungle justice in this country is getting out of hand..

it only goes to show how frustrated most of our citizens are. They are excited to have a place or person to pour that frustration on. would you blame them? Even contact exercises in Nigeria cost quite a bit, which leaves the majority of the population with nothing to do to let out their frustration.

it only goes to show how frustrated most of our citizens are. They are excited to have a place or person to pour that frustration on. would you blame them? Even contact exercises in Nigeria cost quite a bit, which leaves the majority of the population with nothing to do to let out their frustration.

They have bottled up frustration?? They should dance. Dancing is free and healthy and can be done in the privacy of your house!

This isn't frustration, this is wickedness.

They have bottled up frustration?? They should dance. Dancing is free and healthy and can be done in the privacy of your house!

This isn't frustration, this is wickedness.

Dance?? Seriously?? A man has a nagging wife and *** hungry children who have also been sent home from school, another man hasn't been paid for the past 6months, a young guy feels his only mistake in life is being a Nigerian, another guy has just been scammed by *************** boys, a man has just been called from the village about his mums declining health and the need for money to treat her, another youth is furious at the politician whom he heard has stolen billions, he wishes he could lay his hands on that politician cos he doesn't even see a future for himself, bleak or bright. And you say he should dance! wow.

Dance?? Seriously?? A man has a nagging wife and *** hungry children who have also been sent home from school, another man hasn't been paid for the past 6months, a young guy feels his only mistake in life is being a Nigerian, another guy has just been scammed by *************** boys, a man has just been called from the village about his mums declining health and the need for money to treat her, another youth is furious at the politician whom he heard has stolen billions, he wishes he could lay his hands on that politician cos he doesn't even see a future for himself, bleak or bright. And you say he should dance! wow.

Okay. Okay, i see where you are coming from. I take it all back. He/they should go outside and kill somebody.

The bad thing about jungle justice is that no one intercepts the action or calls in the police. Everyone seems to have the same barbaric mindset.. Your first accusers alleges you and starts getting physical, the rest just gets in to take their toll. Horrible thing that can happen to anybody so no one is spared of the menace.

The bad thing about jungle justice is that no one intercepts the action or calls in the police. Everyone seems to have the same barbaric mindset.. Your first accusers alleges you and starts getting physical, the rest just gets in to take their toll. Horrible thing that can happen to anybody so no one is spared of the menace.

Its indeed heart wrenching .... I still remember my first fight with someone online was about jungle justice. You might still remember two ladies who stole pepper somewhere in Lagos, I didn't feel the ladies deserved that treatment but this barbaric guy kept ranting on that they deserved it and more...

Its indeed heart wrenching .... I still remember my first fight with someone online was about jungle justice. You might still remember two ladies who stole pepper somewhere in Lagos, I didn't feel the ladies deserved that treatment but this barbaric guy kept ranting on that they deserved it and more...

Totally, a very good instance of the gruesome action you have remembered. The 'Ejigbo pepper saga' kept reoccurring to me the first time I read OP (they were three women, one died and they were 'alleged,' they didn't really steal the pepper - though that is immaterial) I've read and done some work on mob violence against women, case study: Nigeria.

I edited initial reply to your comment.

It had read:

"The bad thing about jungle justice is that no one intercepts the action or calls in the police. Everyone seems to have the same barbaric mindset.. Your first accusers alleges you and starts getting physical, the rest just gets in to take their toll. Horrible thing that can happen to anybody so no one is spared.

Reminds of some home cases like:

- The Ejigbo pepper saga; where a market woman lost her life in the hands of 'area boys' because she was alleged to have stolen a 'fellow's' portion of pepper

.- The Alaba intl. market phone saga where a similar thing happened. This time the lady was stripped and made to walk around the market in front of millions while still being physically assaulted by mostly men because she allegedly stole a phone.

- Two girls in a Nigerian hostel were suspected to be lovers, their room was broken into and the mob (a group of boys) found them semi naked and in a suggestive stead, they forced the girls to have sex while they recorded the act with their phones even as they severely assaulted the girls.

- What of the 4 students of UNIPORT. burnt alive by mobsters? Afterwards, it was a pure case of mistaken identity.

In all cases above, little or nothing has been done about these 'faceless' mobs. The Nigerian police force is laden with the responsibility of arresting criminals and securing lives and properties, while awarding penalty for crime belongs with the law court. No one should resort to self help. In the criminal code, mob action and self help (legal terminology) is a crime. All crimes must be reported and handled by due authorities, to be penalised judiciously. And these mob criminals should be identified.

Most times I wonder: 'is this a hopeless case? apart from sensitization, what other ideas may NGO's and the government adopt to curb/ reduce this gruesome crime?'

@Callla, Nothing is ever truly hopeless and this case of jungle justice is far from hopeless. I love the question you have raised, how do we curb this?? We could even come up with solutions here... Am still thinking about the answer to that question, once I get one, I'll make it known...