Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Christians, how do you deal with the bible's perspective of being gay?

FlyJ

• Administrators

I am a Christian, but I feel like it's worth saying that as long as you feel like you're being a good person and doing good in your life you shouldn't be worried about God judging you for something as trivial as sexual orientation and gender identity. As long as your relationship with God is good with you and you're doing good, you'll be fine.

Let's hear from you ladies. Are you scared of going to hell or?

Hell? No, I'm a born again Christian.

There are only 6 verses in the bible speaking on homosexuality (which was never interpreted as 'same sex' in original hebrew/ greek bible/ edition)

Yet those verses were identifying a particular context - temple prostitutes/ prostitution not loving or consenting adult relationships between two people of the same sex.

'Arsenokoital' and 'malakoi' (greek and hebrew words that were originally used and now interchanged with 'homosexuals') and neither interpretes as same sex rship

It takes study though to understand and re do the age old brain wash. Truth be told.

you can twist it all you want to suit yourself but the bible made it clear that it is against same sex relationships.

you don't need to break down Hebrew words to understand rom 1:26-27. its simple English.

You can only hope for God to be merciful, but you can't add or subtract from his word (the bible) to suit yourself.

• Moderators

Anyone who knows me will be familiar with this saying: "nice doesn't get you to heaven". And each time I utter those words, it's with grouse and a bit of sadness.

My perspective:

I am equally born again. A major lover of God -and that's the only thing keeping me from living the only life that feels natural to me. 

I have come a long way. Back in the day, I was younger and just had my first girlfriend. I would cry and tell God "but I didn't ask for this or bring it upon myself. I love her. I can't help myself. I think it's an addiction. Please understand. All I ask is just a year God and i'd be back" on and on my requests go... and during those years the passion was beyond this world and it did feel like I was addicted to a new sort of 'drug'.

I have matured over the years... I have loved others. It's a major struggle. The bible is real to me and I am unable to get past those verses (didn't even know they were 6.LOL.).

If there's one thing holding me back, if there's one thing that keeps me towing a path i'd rather not; if there's one thing that has been the rootcause of all the 'instabilility' I display in my girl-girl relationships, it is definitely God's word and my deep love for Him.

So... you may wonder why I still continue in this? 

I have fought long and hard. I have done it all. I have struggled and I finally came to decide to stop fighting it. I would allow my heart run free and choose who it shall love.

When I said 'at war with self' on my about page this is exactly what that pertains to. And yes, I have stopped being angry for having to live a life i'd rather not because "I truly cannot be angry with God. Never".

I am a believer. Believer because I believe strongly in something, believer because I believe in God. Christian? I don't know, I only believe that Jesus is savior and died to give me a chance at a heavenly eternity. Still as I wonder deeper and deeper searching into other religions and philosophies, I realize that perhaps earth is our heaven and earth is our hell, Perhaps the judgement parameters are not as we think it will be, perhaps God will judge based on our intentions or based on how well our lives impacted others, perhaps He will judge based on who lived their life to the fullest and even if they died young, who gifted the world with most of their potential, perhaps there is reincarnation, perhaps...

My point is that Christianity (the religion) is made by man and has been twisted over the years to suit one or a few individuals taste. God is all forgiving and all merciful and the truth is, just as in a talent show on TV, we really don't know what the judge is looking out for and we may never know, all we have to do is to live our lives to the best of our ability and hope he gives a 10.

Live Life, Live free, Leave empty!

• Moderators

Hmmm... very interesting view point. #foodforthought

I would like to read from Iris, Mifled, Abystacy... care to share your perspectives on this?

If I believed lesbianism to be a sin, forbidden! that I will ever be a lesbian. How can I live with such misery? Reason I'm 'out'. Sin is what you hide because you know its wrong. Don't misunderstand that I have to respect the law of the land I live in. That is why we fight for equality because we believe its right - our right.

Yet factually, logically and truthfully, God doesn't condemn homosexuals in the bible. But like I said, it will take a scholarly study to understand.

That's not my responsibility to teach anybody. Not because I do not care, but because such a journey of discovery should be a personal journey.

Romans 1, in historical context, is about ancient Roman fertility goddess worshippers who engaged in shrine prostitution to worship Cybele, not gays and lesbians.

Every honest student of scripture stipulates to the basic historical facts.

Temple or cult or shrine prostitutes did serve false gods in pagan temples in first century Rome.

Those who disagree have not bothered to acquaint themselves with Roman history.

As a christian, I have wrestled with how to reconcile my “Christian” faith with desire to have the same opportunity to pursue happiness and fulfillment as every other person in the world . It’s my belief that we are all children of God.” I have found peace within to accept and believe that God loves me gay or not. God is love and that love so beautiful cannot be wrong. We should be more concerned and mindful of our personal relationships to people around us, how we treat other, be of pure heart and love our neighbors as we love ourselves, be just and patient. That’s what I believe. Having said that, I’m still gonna go further to emphasis on this. It’s true that “Bible” tells us that homosexuality is a sin. It also tells us that many other behaviors such as lustful thought, cursing, and persecution of others are sins. The bible tells us that all sins are equal. No sin is greater than the other. The bible tells us that we are all sinners. The bible DOES NOT tell us that we are to ostracize, marginalize, or persecute gay people. It is morally indefensible for Christian people to participate in such behavior or stand idly by while such behavior occurs.

When it comes to the case of homosexuality, it's that person's life. Let them live it. They are not killing anybody or committing harsh crimes, they just want to find love like everybody else in the world. We're not the ones to judge, that's God's job, so let Him deal with it. God said that we are supposed to love one another, yet no one seems to have a grasp on that concept. And for the Christians out there who say that we're supposed to lead homosexuals to Christ. Do you think that by doing that then they will magically become a heterosexual? Homosexuality is not some disease you can cure it with some treatment and religion." It's not some disease or illness, it's who this person is.

Imagine if homosexuality was the norm and heterosexuality was the minority. Would you want someone to make you try and be something you're not? Just because you are minority, doesn't make you less of a human. People have no authority to regulate behaviors that have no direct, measurable, negative effect on them.

Now the question is; Out of all the sin in the world, why choose this "sin" to pick on and ignore all the other sin? Why have “Christian’s ”established homosexuality as as the red line whose crossing implies complete social decay?

I’m not going to turn a blind eye and deny that according to the Bible homosexuality is a sin. Either am I going to pick a clobber in the “Bible” that suits me better just to justify my perspective because to do so is to fight an impossible battle - the Bible is clear when it states homosexuality is a sin. However, taking this fact as the Bible's only word regarding homosexuality is pretty darn shortsighted.

Don’t fall victim of people especially Christians giving us the biblical references. Same old , same old "man shall not lie with man" verses. It seems they 've all forgotten that with that same logic, everyone's going to Hell.

Do we all know “That” mixed fabric in our clothes? “The” tassels on our cloaks?, not being a virgin before marriage shit?, Lies? Slander?, Envy?, Malicious act?, Fornication?, Stealing? Adultery? Sin or not? It's quite funny. So according to “Christians” with their biblical references, we're all burning in Hell, correct? Naive.

We “Christians” are always hiding under umbrella of Christianity, blindly picking and choosing pieces of the “Bible” that benefits our cause to try and make ourselves look more worthy. If that's what religion is all about then that is nothing I will ever affiliate with.

Like I said, gay or not, people who love the same sex like me, do exactly as do as every other Christians regardless of whatever references they is. They love. It is no different.

How would people like to be judged throughout life because of the person they have feelings for, or have vital decisions made in their lives or be deprived of basic human rights just because of what they do in and out of their bedrooms.

They can dislike it, disagree with it and find it distasteful all they like, as is anyone's right to have an opinion, but if they don't like who we are, then they just have to deal with it. People should learn to leave their religion and prejudices aside and love. I could go on for hours and hours, but I'll cut to the conclusion: Christians should be celebrating along with everybody else in accordance with the teachings of God in the Bible- that we should love all God's children, no matter what. So let’s stop the charade and be honest. In the end love recognizes no difference.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks Abystacy for obliging to my request...

My conclusion:

Hell won't be a good place to end up. So i'd rather stick to the bible's words as is (even if we ultimately realize in heaven that it was wrongly interpreted all the while) than be creative with it and end up in a hot fiery mess...LOL

Then l hope you do not lie, cheat, fornicate or lust after other women. I hope you do not do fwb, that you've sold your properties and given the proceedings to the poor. Don't tell me you still think about your past relationships, that you've gossiped today and flirted with someone. All these are sinful in the eyes of the Lord. You cannot serve two masters. You know you should be on one side of the fence.

• Moderators

Hahahaha #judger! Point passed albeit sarcastically ;) :D :P

My darling, we are saved by grace. Not by works... grace. But must I continue in sin because grace abounds?

To be honest, not trying to be a holier than thou here. Never! I of all people would know better. My struggles are ever before me and I say that in the most sobering way possible :D

It's what it is...

God's grace above all else will qualify me is what I have settled for ;)

you can twist it all you want to suit yourself but the bible made it clear that it is against same sex relationships.

you don't need to break down Hebrew words to understand rom 1:26-27. its simple English.

You can only hope for God to be merciful, but you can't add or subtract from his word (the bible) to suit yourself.

i totally agree with you.fine am like this, and i can't change who i am, but the bible is clear on it's stand against in.let's call a spade a spade

i totally agree with you.fine am like this, and i can change who i am, but the bible is clear on it's stand against in.let's call a spade a spade

So why dont you change?

Hahahaha #judger! Point passed albeit sarcastically ;)/> :D/> :P/>

My darling, we are saved by grace. Not by works... grace. But must I continue in sin because grace abounds?

To be honest, not trying to be a holier than thou here. Never! I of all people would know better. My struggles are ever before me and I say that in the most sobering way possible :D/>

It's what it is...

God's grace above all else will qualify me is what I have settled for ;)/>

l meant well.

"Hey has it ever occurred to Us to address what Romans 1 (and other verses speaking on homosexuality) says, in context (not out of context)? If not, why not?"

"Firstly, the bible was originally written in greek. In the Bible, the word sodomites always describes a temple prostitute not homosexuals. But how will we reconcile all these if research seems unnecessary to us most times".

"Honest seekers of truth also agree that pederasty and same sex activity apart from Roman temples were facts of life in first century Rome"

"So it'd be wrong to resort to statements like, Leviticus 18 or Romans 1 or any other presumptuous verse and say its so clearly talking about the abomination of homosexuality, without any logic, without any proof, without any context, without any linguistic evidence".

"Don't let your emotions rule you. Biblical context should always trump emotions. You need to study your Bible instead of just reading it"

"Common Sense Conclusion

Romans 1 is not a negative blast at gays and lesbians. Paul and God are focused on pagan idolatry. And the sexual activity mentioned in Romans 1:26-27 refers to fertility goddess worship, not two gay guys falling in love and committing to spend their lives together and not two gay gals falling in love and committing to spend their lives together."

"Anti-gay Christians who use Romans 1 to assault the GLBT community are committing spiritual malpractice. They rip verses out of context to prove a lie and that is not an honest way to handle the infallible words of the living God".

"I'm speaking generally and anyone may wish to engage further. I may help with questions but I won't argue, especially if you have presented no evidence, no logical train of thought to support your assertion that I am twisting God's word. Why do you rebel against the Holy Spirit and His truth in the Bible?"

"Instead, every verse used to condemn gays is in the context of temple prostitution, using sex to worship false gods. THAT is what God condemns, not being gay or lesbian or bisexual etc"

"Even anti-gay Christians scholars admit that the context of Romans 1 is temple prostitution". (There are various available teachings on this topic)

"I hope you will start studying because that will help you embrace truth wherever you find it.you will search diligently for truth instead of presenting anti-gay preconceptions and assumptions AS IF they are truth".

(All excerpts are from 'her' book 'And Gay to heaven', coming out soon and don't worry, I still write under a guise). Lol

What is sin?

Sin means to miss the mark and d mark in this case is a standard of perfection established by God.

Viewed in that light,suffice to 2say we are all sinners and being a christain,a pagan or whatever religion u belong to,doesnt exempt u from being termed a sinner.

Often times I get to tell people;what you believe in,is what u are and dts surely what would work for you.

It'd be a bit misconstruing for me to start quoting some passages in the bible that i feels tallys along wv my plight.

Truth is...the bible is what it is albeit transcribed over time.

For me...if there's no clearly stated directive in the bible to marginalise and ostracize gay people,then it is morally indefensible for some fraction of alleged christains to continue to do so.

We can trust God;we can trust that God is loving and merciful.

Your compassion is what defines you,its a fundamental of your existence.same way we speaking or clamouring for our community right#lgtb to be accepted.

I feel God would not ask or expect us to ever choose between our compassion and faith.

My take home point amidst d hogwash iv just written is...you'd definitely go to hell if u see yourself as already doomed.

Bt if u live right regardless of your sexuality,then you just might have a spot @our fathers table.

Remember God is the truth and it's only him that can judge us all.

"Hey has it ever occurred to Us to address what Romans 1 (and other verses speaking on homosexuality) says, in context (not out of context)? If not, why not?"

"Firstly, the bible was originally written in greek. In the Bible, the word sodomites always describes a temple prostitute not homosexuals. But how will we reconcile all these if research seems unnecessary to us most times".

"Honest seekers of truth also agree that pederasty and same sex activity apart from Roman temples were facts of life in first century Rome"

"So it'd be wrong to resort to statements like, Leviticus 18 or Romans 1 or any other presumptuous verse and say its so clearly talking about the abomination of homosexuality, without any logic, without any proof, without any context, without any linguistic evidence".

"Don't let your emotions rule you. Biblical context should always trump emotions. You need to study your Bible instead of just reading it"

"Common Sense Conclusion

Romans 1 is not a negative blast at gays and lesbians. Paul and God are focused on pagan idolatry. And the sexual activity mentioned in Romans 1:26-27 refers to fertility goddess worship, not two gay guys falling in love and committing to spend their lives together and not two gay gals falling in love and committing to spend their lives together."

"Anti-gay Christians who use Romans 1 to assault the GLBT community are committing spiritual malpractice. They rip verses out of context to prove a lie and that is not an honest way to handle the infallible words of the living God".

"I'm speaking generally and anyone may wish to engage further. I may help with questions but I won't argue, especially if you have presented no evidence, no logical train of thought to support your assertion that I am twisting God's word. Why do you rebel against the Holy Spirit and His truth in the Bible?"

"Instead, every verse used to condemn gays is in the context of temple prostitution, using sex to worship false gods. THAT is what God condemns, not being gay or lesbian or bisexual etc"

"Even anti-gay Christians scholars admit that the context of Romans 1 is temple prostitution". (There are various available teachings on this topic)

"I hope you will start studying because that will help you embrace truth wherever you find it.you will search diligently for truth instead of presenting anti-gay preconceptions and assumptions AS IF they are truth".

(All excerpts are from 'her' book 'And Gay to heaven', coming out soon and don't worry, I still write under a guise). Lol

lol what are you trying to say?

The bible does not support homosexual relationships, its that simple.

Lev 20:13

Rom 1:26

1cor 6:9-11

1tim 1:9-10

matt 19:4-6

now is there any scripture in the bible that supports gays in any way? no.

What is sin?

Sin means to miss the mark and d mark in this case is a standard of perfection established by God.

Viewed in that light,suffice to 2say we are all sinners and being a christain,a pagan or whatever religion u belong to,doesnt exempt u from being termed a sinner.

Often times I get to tell people;what you believe in,is what u are and dts surely what would work for you.

It'd be a bit misconstruing for me to start quoting some passages in the bible that i feels tallys along wv my plight.

Truth is...the bible is what it is albeit transcribed over time.

For me...if there's no clearly stated directive in the bible to marginalise and ostracize gay people,then it is morally indefensible for some fraction of alleged christains to continue to do so.

We can trust God;we can trust that God is loving and merciful.

Your compassion is what defines you,its a fundamental of your existence.same way we speaking or clamouring for our community right#lgtb to be accepted.

I feel God would not ask or expect us to ever choose between our compassion and faith.

My take home point amidst d hogwash iv just written is...you'd definitely go to hell if u see yourself as already doomed.

Bt if u live right regardless of your sexuality,then you just might have a spot @our fathers table.

Remember God is the truth and it's only him that can judge us all.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 New King James

Version (NKJV)

Do you not know that the unrighteous will

not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be

deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters,

nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor

sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor

drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will

inherit the kingdom of God. And such were

some of you. But you were washed, but you

were sanctified, but you were justified in the

name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of

our God.

The standard of the bible is clear enough.

lets call a spade a spade. instead to trying to jusify being gay by twisting the bible, talk about how you cope with being gay and a Christian. Do not mislead people by assuming God will judge a certain way, as a christain the bible should be your standard. if you can't support your claim with scriptures then its false.

• Moderators

I laughed some I must say...

No fighting please... different things work for different people. Whatever makes you sleep at night mehn!

Hahahaha

@FlyJ haa! Come and put out the inferno you instigated o...

Sleeky... I see you... ;) ;)