Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Facebook approves 'dislike' button - Mark Zuckerberg, CEO FB

Calllaris

Mark Zuckerberg announced last month that Facebook is finally working on a "Dislike" button.

"I think people have asked about the dislike button for many years. Today 15th September, is a special day because that day was the day I can say we’re working on it and shipping it," Zuckerberg said during a Q&A at Facebook's headquarters.

Zuckerberg said that the social network didn't immediately design way because it didn't want it to become a Reddit-style system of upvoting and downvoting.

"That isn’t what we’re here to build in the world," Zuckerberg said.

But, Facebook and Zuckerberg have realized that people aren't looking to downvote each other, but to have an option to express feelings other than "liking." Zuckerberg cited moments like the news about the recent refugee crisis or even posts about family members who have died. Users don't want to "like" those items, but right now, have no other option.

"What they really want is the ability to express empathy. Not every moment is a good moment," Zuckerberg said.

Facebook has been working on it for awhile, and it hopes to launch it soon, he said.

"It’s surprisingly complicated to make an interaction that will be simple," Zuckerberg said.

post-3715-018592000 1444023174_thumb.jpg

It will no longer be "join me to report this guy as spam" (this is common on twitter) that we'll be hearing. It will now be "join me to unlike this post". I also look forward to the drama this will cause for pageants that use Facebook as a platform for voting.