Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Moving back to Nigeria

acemex

Hey guys, so this time next year, I'll be moving back home but not to lagos where I grew up. I'll be moving to Ibadan.

Ive lived in Toronto for 10 years, came here when I was 17. I think it kinda dawned on me after a decade that living in these foriegn countries forces u to settle for some kinda mediocre life and never reaching ur full potential. U face hard challenges like racial discrimination, language discrimination, religious discrimination, loneliness, workplace discrimination depression and worse, nothing to show for it...cause u gotta use every penny to pay them bills right after payday

#truetalk.

U can't make enough to afford the things u want. Just things u need and maybe a few knock off gear (for those whon don't mind being a se-condition owner). Its like your entire life is pretty much structured for u without ur knowledge but overtime, one starts to get a clearer picture of where ones ass might be in the next 20 years living under these systems. Most inhabitants of these countries will most likely die with mortgage (or some kinda) debt. either ways, ones last days could be filled with regrets.

back to my story.

I had previously attempted to settle in nigeria. (This wouldn't be my first move lol) I was a fresh grad then and knew little about naijas 'realness'. Things didnt work out. everyone wanted to use u up, Get something outta u, friends became strangers and relatives assume u shit gold so they bring u all thier problems.

honesty was by far the hardest commodity one couldn't even get a girlfriend who wasn't there for some handouts.

Commute wise, Everything took forever heat/traffic could drive one to madness but it was nothing compared to the entertainment industry I tried getting into in the firSt place (Which was what I studied in shool by the way)

projects paid very little and my boss was some horny as****h**le with a ear infection-I litterally had to yell that i was un available...even showcased my lesbian 'tendencies' to shoo him off (for where???).

In fact the whole industry was a joke, Infested with fakes n wannabes.it took me a while to understand that there was no real money to be made in it (all na show). Piracy n downloads won't let ya...u also gotta worry abt the people u work for, So I dropped that dream ojere! (least until futher notice)

Now I'm seriously considering agriculture. Been considering since the past summer and figured I might aswell do it.

I'm about to purchase two plots of fertile land with my savings (through family) but I'm torn between starting a poultry farm/meat packaging company (broilers n layers), Or a mid-scale plantain plantation. Ive also considered making my own food products. I.e hot sauce, bbq sauce,fish bbq sauce (elegushi sytle with the smoky after-taste), peanut butter and breakfast hashbrown mix, magarita/sangria can drink . Whatever my choice may be, I still plan on living in ibadan. Now my questions are:

Has anyone on here ever moved from a western country to nigeria (ibadan prefrebly)what where ur challenges?

How long did it take u to settle?

How are things working out professionally?

Are you also into agriculture or are you considering it?

Anyone knows the demand for chicken compared to plantain. I'm guessing meat is more. still worth asking

What's the social life like (ibadan)? (Though I plan on running to lag every 3rd weekend) wouldn't mind couple drinks at a decent bar from time to time.

Whats the security/road/infastructure like? Is the power supply better (compared to lag) or worse

Last question: (of a more physical nature) are there lesbian living in ibadan?? Or will one need to check every nook to find one cause a nigguh gotta unwind from time to time lol!

Very last question:

Generally Speaking, should I stay or should I go? Spend my money on some tropical vacation aND some new gears or move home and invest it as planned?

If there are other infos I haven't asked but u think I'll need to know...pls do share. Yall feel free to leave a long detailed response imma read them!

Also if anyone is into crop/livestock farming and wanna patner up...we can talk n save startup cost on both ends. Serious/dedicated/consistent ppl only. Thanks for reading yall...looking forward to reading ur replies.

I believe chicken demand is higher(and more profitable) although sometimes seasonal.

I recently went into poultry myself (medium scale), but layer poultry. it's easier to manage and the market is more stable (egg production).

I visited ibadan some months ago, its a dry town (my opinion) but its close to lagos so you can always travel.

Come back home and invest, you won't regret it.

just get enough information on whatever business you want to go into, I pray God see you through.

That's right dream gal she has to do enough information before investmenting

Meeca agriculture is good but u need to do market survey and who will buy off products, but why do u wanna come down to settle

Finally if you don't my asking

the Margarita thing is pretty good. everybody yabs Ibadan and though I've never been there, I can tell it's a dry town.

Come back home and invest. all the extremely rich folks in Nigeria made it here.

Nigeria is fertile but only to those that know what de doing.

betwn, what's ur gender? femme, stud, stem, no label?

@dream gal, thanks guys yeah I did some research and find egg production more stable though meat production have more returns if u get enough demand.

@sage, cause it ain't my country lol. I don't plan on dying here.

@fairy. Gender-Stud Sexuality-Bi (leaning more towards women)

• Administrators

Very interesting post @ OP. Africa is where the future lies and there are boundless opportunities in that continent. Having said that, please find my responses below :

Has anyone on here ever moved from a western country to nigeria (ibadan prefrebly)what where ur challenges? - I have a friend who relocated to Lagos after living in Canada for x amount of years. Her biggest challenge was blending into the Nigerian society after such a long time out. Living in the West exposes you to different ways of doing things and ideas as well, which is totally different from what is practiced in Nigeria. She also complained of the crazy traffic, light situation and the fact that she had to sleep with her two eyes open - even though she hasn't encountered any robber till date. Some of her initial worries, she grew out of with time.

How long did it take u to settle? --- Took her a while. I personally think this depends on how in touch you are with the Nigerian society and what infrastructure you have on ground.

How are things working out professionally? --- She started a consulting company and is getting a lot of gigs.

Are you also into agriculture or are you considering it? - Everyone seems to be going into agriculture these days and i am considering it as well. Lucrative but one needs to do some extensive research on the different areas of agriculture and choose the one that best suits.

Anyone knows the demand for chicken compared to plantain. I'm guessing meat is more. still worth asking --- Obviously, meat is more but i think it also has relatively high risk compared to plantain. This is not an informed decision it is just a general opinion but i may be wrong. I once had a brief conversation with a friend on the subject of plantain farming, the figures looked very good but i felt i needed to know more before investing.

What's the social life like (ibadan)? (Though I plan on running to lag every 3rd weekend) wouldn't mind couple drinks at a decent bar from time to time. -- I know Ibadan very well and it is very boring. Not only that, i don't think most of the inhabitants are ready to embrace change ;however, it is a perfect place if you decide to go into agriculture -cheap labor costs, land, transportation etc.

Whats the security/road/infastructure like? Is the power supply better (compared to lag) or worse -- Worse. Good ol' Ibadan is very ancient and i sincerely don't see that changing.

Last question: (of a more physical nature) are there lesbian living in ibadan?? Or will one need to check every nook to find one cause a nigguh gotta unwind from time to time lol! --- This just depends basically on your network if you ask me. I don't think you can comfortably pick up lesbians in Lagos as most bi's/lesbians are closeted or very dramatic to say the least. So, it just depends..

Very last question:

Generally Speaking, should I stay or should I go? Spend my money on some tropical vacation aND some new gears or move home and invest it as planned? -- Sounds like you have a good plan. I would say you should go. You can never go wrong investing back home. If done well and nurtured properly, the sky is your stepping stone. Tdot is mad fun, i was in Windsor not too long ago and had cray fun which i know i would have gotten triple of that fun if i were in Nigeria. Either way its you decision and i am sure you must have put a lot of thought into it so let your mind lead you.

• Like 1

From experience, I like to consider plantain a cheap and easy farming to venture into. Yet its demand in the market is quite circular. A food crop as well as a economic cash crop, all you need to start up is a good organic soil that retains water or an irrigation system on the land especially for the dry season. If you are dealing with a good specie, you find that all you may need is to keep separating and re planting suckers that naturally spring forth. Within 9 - 11 months of planting, you are harvesting plantain while the suckers that spring forth from the 'whole' continues to grow. And the next 9 months, you are harvesting again and on the cycle goes. If you have a small land, (below an acre) you will be able to run the various aspects of this farming manually; clearing, planting, weeding, manure/ fertilizer application, pest control, proping and harvesting. Therefore feasibly cheaper yet immediately yielding.

Its the type of farming you run to 'occupy space' while thinking of other businesses to venture especially if the land is available. Plantain is hands on and a 'win - win'

Thanks flyj for the detailed response. Yeah I think imma have to head for the bushes. Lagos sucks u dry anyways. I've never been to Windsor...Hell, I haven't explored most part of the country...Ur ass pretty much stays confined once u on a payroll. Thanks again.

@ Calla, 9 months te o. Considering chickens grow in 5-6months. Nevertheless plantain is a good investment aswell...but I think I might settle for livestock.

Time line inbetween inception and conclusion of a venture could help one decide faster, of two things, which to go into. Especially if you are torn between the which.

Like wise, as action-plan vs timeline vs energy (into information) vs investment capital compared to yield of every two venture is totally different,..these should act as major determinants in deciding 'which'. At a certain point, interest should supersede.

• 3 months later...

I relocated two years ago after living in the states for 12 years. It was not easy, within a year I lost half of my business capital.I was depressed, sad, confused but I never gave up. I was determined to build a business.slowly things started to change for good. I will advise you, if you really want to relocate just take a leap of Faith, be determined and have a plan. It will not be easy but it is so worth it.

Good luck

• 1 year later...

I wish we can have a 2 years after update from @acemex

I wonder if she still made it down here. I personally think the country has worsened over the last 2 years.

I dont think so, despite the arrest we hear every day and the harassment the LGBTQ community experiences this days, progress is being made even though is very slow and it seems nothing is being done

• Like 1

I wasnt referring to Homosexuality moving forward though. I was looking more at the Economy of the last 2 years, combined with the many terrorist groups we are seeing now.

I relocated last year.. wow was it a challenge, lost a lot but gained priceless memories. I am a bit more settled now with a job i love, good pay and a beautiful home. 

I think moving back is relative, everyone experiences it in different ways. I made that bold step after 15yrs outside Nigeria and it was all exciting till reality hit. But i will not exchange the experience the past year for any thing else. 

Funny thing now is when people ask me if I do not miss my my former home I say no and they are amazed. Nigeria has so much potential I see and I know I will be fine - these are what keeps me going. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

While Many are looking for any means possible to leave, others are moving back home. What an irony

Nigeria has a lot of potentials no doubt. There are one thousand and one ways to make money here as long as you have capital.

@jibz nice one.

43 minutes ago, Jibz said:

I relocated last year.. wow was it a challenge, lost a lot but gained priceless memories. I am a bit more settled now with a job i love, good pay and a beautiful home. 

I think moving back is relative, everyone experiences it in different ways. I made that bold step after 15yrs outside Nigeria and it was all exciting till reality hit. But i will not exchange the experience the past year for any thing else. 

Funny thing now is when people ask me if I do not miss my my former home I say no and they are amazed. Nigeria has so much potential I see and I know I will be fine - these are what keeps me going. 

Cool

11 hours ago, lala1990 said:

I wasnt referring to Homosexuality moving forward though. I was looking more at the Economy of the last 2 years, combined with the many terrorist groups we are seeing now.

Oh okay 

19 hours ago, FlyJ said:

@Jibz

Nice! Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, how do you find living as a gay woman in Nigeria?

So far so good I haven't had any reason to think my life is different from heterosexual women. I work, I live and I am happy. I know my truth, i am not out in the way people mean when they ask the question if you are out but my family and close friends know I am gay and it hasn't changed the way they view me or the life they expect me to live. I know my mum still prays for the husband as expected but she and i both know when her grandbabies comes they become her priority. 

I don't think Nigeria is as bad as they make it sound for gay women. I think the society is more accepting of gay women than men but also what makes a difference is the fact that you are educated/exposed and earning your own. Unfortunately many people in the community do not fall into this category so it makes it easy for them to be targets of the unfortunate system. 

myopinion :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jibz said:

I don't think Nigeria is as bad as they make it sound for gay women. I think the society is more accepting of gay women than men but also what makes a difference is the fact that you are educated/exposed and earning your own. Unfortunately many people in the community do not fall into this category so it makes it easy for them to be targets of the unfortunate system. 

Couldn't have said it better, true talk

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/16/2017 at 12:58 PM, Jibz said:

myopinion 🙂

No Truer words have been written. I always tell people this. If you are educated, exposed, and have a good thing going for you, No one would be all up in your business.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2019 at 5:06 AM, Txunamy said:

No Truer words have been written. I always tell people this. If you are educated, exposed, and have a good thing going for you, No one would be all up in your business.

😘

• Like 1