Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Ham, Bacon, Sausage Cancer Threat

FlyJ

• Administrators

sausages.jpg

Bacon, ham and sausages are set to be classed alongside cigarettes, arsenic and asbestos as cancer-causing by global health experts.

In a report to be published today by the World Health Organisation (WHO), processed meat is expected to be classed as "carcinogenic to humans", the highest of five possible rankings.

Fresh red meat is also due to be judged as being bad for people's health.

The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has warned for a number of years that there is "strong evidence" that eating a lot of red meat can cause bowel cancer.

One possible reason is the organic pigment that gives red meat its colour, known as haem, may damage the lining of the bowel.

Meat which has been preserved by smoking, curing, salting or by adding preservatives can also lead to cancer-causing substances to form.

The WCRF advises that people can reduce their bowel cancer risk by limiting their consumption of cooked red meat, such as beef, pork and lamb, to no more than 500g per week.

It also said people should curb their intake of processed meats such as ham, bacon and salami.

However, it has been pointed out the report finding does not mean the likelihood of getting bowel cancer from eating processed meat is comparable to the dangers of getting lung cancer from smoking.

Sarah Williams, of Cancer Research UK, told Sky News: "The announcement from the WHO deals with how certain we can be - so it's how strong the evidence is, rather than how big a risk red and processed meat might pose.

"Certainly Cancer Research UK's opinion is that eating red and processed meat isn't anywhere near as risky as smoking."

The National Farmers' Union has also warned against any new health advice being "polarising" and stressed the role of moderate amounts of red meat in a balanced diet.

The meat industry is also concerned.

Glossop butcher John Mettrick told Sky News he feared the effect on consumer confidence.

He said: "This report from the World Health Organisation is a worry to us.

"But it needs to be considered with all the other reports saying there's no link [to cancer].

"We've had chocolate, we've had sugar ... all kinds of things linked to cancer. It's just red meat at the moment that's in for the flak."

Source

• Like 1

Hahahahahaha! You're not a serious somebody.

Lmaooo i am just tired of all these people always spoiling things for somebody with all this their research. I'm just tired. Are we suppose to stick to just chicken? And turkey? And fish? Their ultimate plan is to turn us into grass eaters. But I didnt work my way up the food chain to comman be a vegeterian -_-

• Moderators

Lmaooo i am just tired of all these people always spoiling things for somebody with all this their research. I'm just tired. Are we suppose to stick to just chicken? And turkey? And fish? Their ultimate plan is to turn us into grass eaters. But I didnt work my way up the food chain to comman be a vegeterian -_-

Hahahahahaha! You know!! My mum is always on my case and I think I'm slim enough. She'd discourage fried things, greasy food, junk, everything good basically!LOL. (for a girl, I maintain a very healthy diet :D) Told her we are all dying and i'd like to enjoy my journey! Hahahaha.

• Moderators

The media likes to sensationalize everything, the WHO is basically a political organization nowadays. They used epidemiological data to prove causation, which is basically bad science; no factors (lifestyle or otherwise) where taken into account.

This "research" is only specific to one type of cancer (rectal), If you NEVER eat cured meat in your life, the possibility of getting rectal cancer is 5%, and if you eat as much as possible, the possibility goes up to 6%.... yes 6%. All the hype over 1%.

If you love maths and statistics, you'll love the last two. Enjoy!

Processed meat and colorectal cancer: a quantitative review of prospective epidemiologic studies

Meta-analysis of prospective studies of red meat consumption and colorectal cancer

Animal protein as bad as smoking? Headlines based on 6 deaths!

High Protein Diets Cause Cancer, Study Says

• 3 years later...