Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Open Relationship

dequeen

We all pretty much know what the "Open relationship" thing stands for, that is one or both parties of the relationship being allowed to have other sexual partners (strictly sex of course) for whatever reasons ranging from distance between the two of you, temporary impotency (Lol, can ladies be impotent?), etc.

So is it a Yay or a Nay for you and please give your reasons to back up your decision.

• Moderators

Hmmmm... interesting question. Here's my view:

I have come to understand that we each operate on varying levels sexually. I also know that for some, the 'physical' element of a relationship is the more important.

We each are unique. No one way is right or wrong. In line with this, I subscribe to an open relationship. Why?

I would rather not set her up to fail. It hurts like shit just typing it but considering the nature of our circumstance, I would rather not love from a 'selfish' place. Extremely excruciating decision to make.

The clause is: don't let me know when or with whom. If you do, then it's because you mean to hurt me. That will then be the beginning of the end for sure...

• Upvote 1

I don't think it has anything to do with age. Being exclusive in a relationship is a step forward and both parties have to be in total harmony towards it. One person can't be exclusive and her partner is still testing waters, it won't work. I think at the end of the day it boils down to how important individuals value sex.

Let me put it this way, to some its a sport. To some its a blood oath.

• Moderators

As in... somewhere deep down, I would hope she'll be strong enough to just wait. To hang in there for me. But I wont make that decision for her and because I understand that it can get really tough, I will allow her do as her heart leads...

Why does everybody think of cheating and feel its just sex. I actually believe that with the rate of infidelity in this country most marriages/relationships are open. We can debate it, but most people have a fairly strong idea of their spouse' infidelity and we rarely hear them crying blue murder till its getting embarrassing.

I think what people should be quite worried about is when you are in a relationship and are still freaking lonely.

Nay... the fact u decide to go into a relationship wit sum1 shud close the window to evry oda person, ion rili blive in open relationship cos it neva rili ends well

• Moderators

It just occurred to me that I had answered the question in reverse *laughs at self*

Okay, I won't need it when the passion is hot and fiery. When I do, we'll have that discussion and i'd be hoping for a favourable and unselfish :D :P response. Hahahaha

• Moderators

Truth is, I believe it can be just 'sex'. If I'm really going to engage in an open relationship and it's been agreed from the get go, the rule would be that we'll each pick the 'fling' for our partner!

Left to me, she ain't gonna be hot and would probably have a slight body odour too! Hahahahaha

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm... interesting question. Here's my view:

I have come to understand that we each operate on varying levels sexually. I also know that for some, the 'physical' element of a relationship is the more important.

We each are unique. No one way is right or wrong. In line with this, I subscribe to an open relationship. Why?

I would rather not set her up to fail. It hurts like shit just typing it but considering the nature of our circumstance, I would rather not love from a 'selfish' place. Extremely excruciating decision to make.

The clause is: don't let me know when or with whom. If you do, then it's because you mean to hurt me. That will then be the beginning of the end for sure...

Nice. That clause is so divine

YES

Although right now I am a one woman girl, I am willing to see if it changes...

I find that the older I get, the more open I am to experimenting and finding what works for me. And I have seen a lot of working open and polyamourous relationships in the past two years to just discount it. Instead of cheating or being emotionally unavailable, the key is having honest, open conversations about your needs and your partner(s) needs

Chei I no fit o. Even if I go into any relationship I don't think it will be open to avoid risky business. Can't stand my partner frolicking that's not love

• 4 years later...