Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Aubameyang Wins African Footballer of the Year

FlyJ

• Administrators

PierreEmerick-Aubameyang_3142625.jpg

Yaya Toure of Ivory Coast has relinguished his dominance of the continent’s football as he lost the illustrious position as the African Footballer of the Year to Gabon’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang following the ceremony the Glo/CAF awards held Thursday night in Abuja.

Toure had won the award for four consecutive years before Thursday when Aubameyang was named the winner beating him and Ghana’s Andre Ayew to the title. All three soccer stars were in Abuja for the event. Winner Aubameyang arrived in the country on Wednesday while Ayew whose father Abedi Pele is a previous winner hailed his reception as soon as he got into Abuja on Thursday.

“I’m in Abuja now. Received with love,” he tweeted.

The event held at the International Conference Centre has given the Gabonese the biggest individual award in African football. Samuel Eto’o of Cameroon is the only other player to have won the African biggest label for four consecutive years.

Mbwana Aly Samatta of Botswana was voted the African Player of the Year Based in Africa.

Most Promising Talent was given to Oghenekaro Etebo of the Nigeria U-23 team. It was double for Nigeria talent-wise as Victor Osimhen of the Golden Eaglets won the Youth Player of the Year. Coach of the Year was given to Herve Renard who coached the Ivory Coast to the 2015 African cup. The former coach of Zambia beat Nigeria’s Emmanuel Amunike who led Nigeria to the 2015 FIFA U-15 trophy.

Gaelle Enganamouit of Cameroon beat Nigeria’s Ngozi Ebere to the Women’s Player of the Year. Referee of the Year went to Bakary Papa Gassama of The Gambia. African Legends awards were presented to both Charles Gyamfi (Ghana) and Samuel Leppe (Cameroon).

Ivory Coast won National Team of the Year. They beat Ghana Black Stars and Nigeria U-17 side. Cameroonian ladies were voted the Women’s National Team of the Year. The Fair Play award went to Allez Casa of Senegal – the Senegalese football supporters club. TP Mazembe are the Club of the Year. They won the last CAF Champions League.

The event was also musical with the performance of young Bez being one of the major highlights. His delivery was made more majestic when he was joined on stage by King Sunny Ade adding another dimension from a different generation. Legendary Salif Keita of Mali moved from individual performance to a duet when Omawunmi of Nigeria joined him to perform the popular hit song Africa.

Source

• Like 1

Let's be frank. He lost it a long time ago. Just that we don't have much Africa challenging him. We he got it good this time. I know he do win it. Aubameyang's been impressive for BD

• Administrators

Yaya Toure blasts decision not to make him African Player of the Year

yaya_3530502b.jpg

Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure has called African football’s governing body of being “indecent” and “pathetic” after failing to win its player of the year award for a fifth successive occasion.

Toure finished runner-up to Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in a vote for the African Footballer of the Year award.

The Ivory Coast international, 32, said the decision “brings shame” to the continent, arguing that he deserved the accolade after captaining his country to the Africa Cup of Nations title for the first time in 23 years last January.

A vote of coaches and technical directors from countries within the Confederation of African Football decided the winner, with Aubameyang the first player from Gabon to receive the award. Toure was second and Swansea’s Ghana international forward Andre Ayew third.

The Manchester City midfielder congratulated Aubameyang, who is the Bundesliga’s leading scorer with 18 goals in 17 for Dortmund this season, but argued that those voting had placed a higher value on football achievements outside Africa.

He said: “I’m very, very disappointed. It’s sad to see Africa react this way, that they don’t think African achievements are important.

“I think this is what brings shame to Africa, because to act in that way is indecent. But what can we do about it? Us Africans, we don’t show that Africa is important in our eyes. We favour more what’s abroad than our own continent. That is pathetic. Even Fifa, with all its history of corruption, wouldn’t do this.

“Yaya will take care of Yaya and let Africa take care of itself. As I’ve been told many times, you can’t take care of Africa too much because Africa will be the first to let you down.”

Toure has received criticism for his performances at club level this season, with former Liverpool defender turned Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher describing his display during a 2-1 Premier League defeat at Arsenal in December as a “joke”.

Manager Manuel Pellegrini has repeatedly dismissed such arguments, and those who have questioned Toure’s body language, by suggesting that the midfielder covers as much ground during a game as anybody else on the pitch.

Pellegrini, who is set to rest several of his senior players for today’s FA Cup third-round tie at Norwich, has acknowledged that Toure now finds it difficult to play three games in a week.

The City manager said: “He’s not so old. I think he’s a player who is very important, an experienced player and he knows how to play every game.

“Maybe to play three games a week for the whole season, he is not able to do it. But I think he can play in the way he’s playing now.

“It’s not difficult for me to leave him out if I need to. It’s difficult for him because he’s a very good player. He can make a difference.

“But every time people say we have not got the squad we need, people always look at Yaya. Remember he scored three times in the last few games.

“Maybe against Everton he didn’t play very well but every player has better or worse games. But you can’t say it’s because he’s older. Everyone can have a bad game.”

Source

• Like 1