Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×

The Danish Girl

Althena

The Danish Girl is loosely based on the true story of famous painters Einar Wegener and his wife Gerda. Einar is famous for his landscapes while Gerda is somewhat known but limited as a portrait artist. One day, her model doesn't turn up so she asks her husband to pose for her as a woman and from there, they start experimenting with dressing him as a woman and attending parties with Einar dressed as his cousin Lili Elbe. Even though this is all fun and games for Gerda ( she teaches him makeup, how to walk, she shares her clothes with him), there's less and less of Einar as Lili becomes a part of their lives. Gerda becomes famous for her wonderful paintings of Lily Elbe (still found on google) and also for very graphic lesbian drawings (also found on google images). As their roles change and they start a journey of learning who they really are :)

You get the witness the unbreakable bonds of love that Gerda has for her spouse both as Einar and as Lily. You see her struggles, her confusion, her acceptance and her fights with him, for him, and beside him. To me she embodies the word QUEER as she loved all of this person male/female/trans everything...Romeo and Juliet have got nothing on Gerda (and Ayicia Vikander won an Oscar for the role).

The movie is a spectacular take of gender identity issues as you get to really see how *trans people struggle to express their authentic selves. Eddie Redmayne was spectacular in his portrayal of Lili; his features, his transformation, his gestures, everything (and if The Academy was not pity giving Leonardo the nod, he should have won the Oscar)...but anyhoo

I do not want to give away the plot of the movie apart from the pointing out that Lili Elbe is the first known person to have a sex reassignment surgery in the world. I know it received a lot of criticism about not employing trans actors to play trans roles (but Eddie was made for his role!!!) and also about straight-washing Gerda (some people claim they were both gay which was why they got married to cover up for each other), but the movie never claimed to be historically accurate. All it does is show you the journey of one *trans woman when the word didn't even exist and you get a better understanding of the other alphabets in LGBTQI. A lovely movie and a good place for us to start understanding our trans brothers and sisters :)

I hope you all make time to watch it as it was a 9.8/10

You will laugh, you will cry, you will empathize, and your heart will expand with a bigger capacity to love, this I promise. Now close this page and go download the Danish Girl

• Upvote 1

Yep. Good movie. I felt the pain of the wife more though. Imagine your girlfriend just wakes up one morning and decides she wants to be a guy. Painful really.

The actors/ actresses were all splendid. They did a good job in portraying all the emotions involved in such an event.

Watched it yesterday. Very good acting. And i love the way the movie ended.. Btw, @Althena, so this movie made you cry huh? Softie :P/>/>

Ah, if you did not cry for Gerda, your heart is made of steel. *wipes a tear*