Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Tennis Star Maria Sharapova Failed Drug Test “‘I made a huge mistake”

FlyJ

• Administrators

maria_sharapova.jpg_1718483346.jpg

28 year old tennis star Maria Sharapova (currently the world’s highest paid female athlete, according to Forbes) admitted she took an illegal drug, and failed a drug test earlier this year at the Australian Open.

She said she had been taking the drug, mildronate, also known as meldonium, issued by her family doctor for the past ten years. However, as of January 1st 2016, the drug became prohibited and she wasn’t aware.

She say she takes full responsibility, and hopes she isn’t barred from playing tennis. She has been playing the sport since she was four years old.

“I made a huge mistake. I let my fans down, I let the sport down.

“I know with this that I face consequences.

“I don’t want to end my career this way, and I really hope I’m given another chance to play this game.”

This failed drug test is a costly mistake, as TAG Heuer has already ended their partnership with her, and Nike has suspended their partnership. According to Telegraph UK,

Nike and TAG Heuer have been quick to make statements about the Sharapova case but if her corporate deals fall through as a result of her positive drugs test she could lose most of her sources of income. Sharapova earned £16.1m last year in endorsements alone. Her earnings from tournaments amounted to a mere £4.7m in 2014 – and that was including her last slam win at Roland Garros the same year.

Sharapova’s eight-year deal with Nike is worth £49m while she also has a five-year contract with Evian and a three-year deal with Porsche.

Source

• Like 1

Even though it is unlikely, (white priviledge anyone) I hope she gets banned for very long time for various reaasons

1) Mildronate/Mildronome is a drug prescribed for very SERIOUS heart conditions which Maria does not have so why is she taking it?

2) The drug is not even legal in America which is where Maria has lived for the past 21 years! Which 'family doctor' in America i giving it to her?

***) It was put on the anti-doping watch list summer 2015 before being banned in Jan 2016. WTF does she mean she didn't know.

4) Claiming she didn't open the email in Jan 2016 is bullshit. That is the 1st thing athletes do, also she has A TEAM of doctors and handlers. Not ONE person saw it despite knowing it was on the watch list?

5) Maria is meticulous about detail. She removes the labels off water bottles before drinking it IF the brand is not paying her. But then she somehow did not read the most important email of the year? Again, bullshit

6) More than 600 russian athletes have tested positive for this drug. Supplied to them by the russian federation to get an edge over others. Maria is Russian. Need I say more?

Maria is a cheat, she has been caught so she should be punished! All this well crafted speech wearing black, acting innocent and looking for sympathy is a farce. Very reminiscent of Lance Armstrong and his 10 year denial of doping... Hiss

Well,if she never play again, she will only have herself to blame...I always loved her fighting spirit. So shes been on this drug nd yet serena could trash her anyway anytime. I wonder what people would say if this was Serena..I could literally imagine the headlines. She messed up big time now! Her explanation has more questions than answers to be honest. In this day and age,when you just go online and basically by typing one word in you can find out so much, I find it very difficult to believe that she didn't know the substance she's been taking is no longer legal. Plus she have a team around as well,and they didn't know either? I also find that hard to believe... But if the substance was just barred this year maybe her bein suspended is much better than her not playing ever again.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

If it were Serena, the Internet wouldn't be able to contain the bashing.

• Like 1