Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Chibok girls, symbol of governance failure – Ezekwesili

FlyJ

• Administrators

The former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili, on Sunday said the case of the abducted Chibok girls symbolised the failure of governance.

Ezekwesili, who stated this in Lagos while speaking at Daystar Christian Centre, stressed the need for justice to be done to the 219 schoolgirls who were abducted from their school hostel in Government Girls College, Chibok town in Borno State on April 14, 2014.

She said, “When they took those girls, I put a marker in the sand and I said nothing, absolutely nothing, is going to make me stop talking about the Chibok girls until justice is done to them.

“Why must justice be done to them? Justice must be done to our Chibok girls because they symbolise the failure of governance in a nation that does not understand that God absolutely looks at government as an institution that exists because of the needs of the poor. The rich and mighty can do without government. But government exists that the poor may be cared for.”

Ezekwesili said if the Chibok girls were the children of the elite, the distress call about their abduction would have received speedy response.

She said, “From that day that the news broke on April 15, crying for justice for them has been part of the purpose for my ordination. Many have said, ‘You have tried; just move on.’ And I said to them, ‘A pledge is an indication of character.’”

She said when the Chibok girls were abducted in 2014, some of their parents had asked her to promise them that she would keep shouting until the girls were released, and she did promise them.

“For us, we stand to declare that our Chibok girls represent a turning in our nation, and the reason is simple. A nation can afford to ignore its citizens when it sees no value in them. Nations that have made economic progress and achieved development are the ones that dignify the lives of their citizens.

“Citizens’ live mean nothing. The likelihood is because there is something that substitutes for the citizens’ live. In our own case, that something is called oil,” she said, adding that the girls could be ignored because they were not oil pipelines.

Last Thursday, members of the Bring Back Our Girls group, led by Ezekwesili, held a rally in Abuja to mark the second anniversary of the abduction of the girls to demand the rescue of the girls.

Source

• Like 1

This kidnapping news of about Chibok girls came to some people like me as a fluck as I felt that the opposition government were up to a mischief in other to disparage the previous government. After some months and months of nothing concrete. These arr the questions I asked myself and put across to some people around me:

1. How come these school girls were kidnapped in a swoop and loaded in a good number of vehicles that could take 276 students and the number of these supposed kidnappers and they all drove out of Chibok undetected, undermining the number of military check points in and around the town and state.

2. Non of the teachers of the school was in the school premises or was abducted alongside these girls.

***. Outside the said 50 girls that escaped from the devilish Boko Haram, non of the 219 girls has been seen anywhere in Nigeria or in the neighbouring countries as one of the kidnapped Chibok girls, dead or alive notwithstanding the fact that the Nigerian military have rescued over 1,000 girls, women and children from Sambisa forest and other towns regarded as Boko Haram heavens all these while.

4.During the electioneering campaigns, the Apc led government told Nigerians that the Chibok girls rescue would be one of the first things to be achieved if voted into power. But today, we are still waiting to hear the positive news that these girls have been rescued or was there a trade off ?

Finally, the international communities that participated in the search in the beginning, all got withdrawn for a reason(s) nobody has ever bothered to tell Nigerians. Or was it for the discovery of the fact that the Chibok school girls issue was political in other to blackmail the previous administration before the northern people of Nigeria and the international communities?

If all these questions are still begging for answers as the Chibok girls kidnapping buruhaha clocks two years nd counting... Then maybe, I said maybe it could be summed up as staged. Just saying

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...