Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Botswana kicks out homophobic Pastor Steven Anderson

Calllaris

Pastor Steven Anderson of the Faithful Word Baptist Church in Phoenix, USA is not having an easy time with his evangelism in Africa. Botswana's government earlier this week confirmed that he will be deported from the country.

The pastor planned to head to Africa this month to convert more people to his extreme ways – but his plans were hindered by travel bans issued by South Africa and the United Kingdom.

The pastor did make it to Botswana this week, but he was held by immigration officials amid concerns about discriminatory preaching.

Botswana's government on Monday confirmed Anderson will be deported, tweeting: “Pastor #StevenAnderson, a #USA citizen has been declared a Prohibited Immigrant and as such is being deported from #Botswana”.

Anderson earlier bragged that Botswana, which already criminalises homosexuality and jails gay people for up to seven years, was a “way more receptive place” for his message. However, the country’s government reaffirmed its opposition to violence and extremism.

The pastor fumed about the south Africa ban “It’s too bad that South Africa fell through because they banned me personally. But at the end of the day, it’s no skin off my back. I wasn’t really that excited about visiting their so-called beautiful country which is the rape capital of the world. It’s one of the most dangerous, wicked places in the entire world. I was actually going there for their sakes. I was trying to bring the gospel to the lost.”