Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×

I am in support of the antigay law.” Nigerian male Barbie Bobrisky declares in new interview

Calllaris

Bobrisky-1.png?resize=600%2C747

Male Barbie and bleaching expert Bobrisky (you know him) granted an interview to TW Magazine publisher Adesuwa Onyenokwe. In the interview, the controversial personality claims he is not gay and that he is in support of the Nigerian same-sex marriage (prohibition) law.

He says: “We are in Nigeria, and there is this law in Nigeria which I am in support of that law because I see no reason why your mother will give birth to you and you will say you will not give birth in future. It is not possible now. If my mum and dad did not give birth to me, I wouldn’t be this Idris. I am not in support of gay marriage. I’m never in support of it. But we all live in Nigeria to survive.”(Who is this guy?)

He also said he wished he could get pregnant for 'bae' and won't reveal what gender 'bae' is but went ahead to use the word 'him' when talking about his friend.

Following his comments, there has been a furor kicked up on the social media, with reactions ranging from outrage and derision to indulgence.

Gay activist Bisi Alimi went on Instagram to slam the bleached person for his unthoughtful comments during his interview.

#..A friend brought my attention to an interview @bobrisky222 granted Adesuwa. In the interview, he was asked if he is gay, he said no and with no prompting said he supports the anti same sex prohibition law 2013. Dear Bobrisky, I have a message for you. I will be very happy to educate you for free on how your bigoted, hateful comments are putting #LGBT people lives at risk. I will also like to let you know, how making money by making fun of what other people are dying from is no f***king joke. Yes, I will give you and your likes a crash course on decency, human dignity and respect as I can see you lack the fundamentals that makes someone a responsible human being. I will be here if you need me, have a nice day..#.

If you can stomach, check on Bobrisky's interview, even @ : http://dailypost.ng/...-not-gay-video/

http://static.pulse....60/Bobrisky.png

I don't know why anybody is surprised that Bobrisky says he is not gay. Are we honestly expecting him to come out and be lynched?

The fact is he has acknowledged that his bae is a man, he also says he wants to get pregnant...this makes me think he is a trans* person. But what do I know!

On the other hand, it is unfortunate that he felt the need to publicly support the same sex marriage prohibition act, but he wouldn't be the first person to deny his sexuality and say bad things about other gay people just so we can look straight...that is the game Nigeria insists queer people must play: changing the pronouns of our lovers to him instead of her, and constantly pretending we are anything but who we are.

Anyways, I hope he does get comfortable in his queerness very soon and stops gay bashing ASAP. Internalized homophobia is a bitch

So, after that first interview, Bobrisky was interviewed again, this time by Pulse TV. When the issue of his controversial comments on the gay bill came up, (he wasn’t asked what he thought of the law in the first interview before making some very infuriating blurt - ok I'm sure his fear of being identified made him spew) here’s what he had to say about it:

“To the people who are so sick about what I said, I am sorry. It wasn’t intentional. That was my first time of coming live on interview. And the way the question was thrown to me, I couldn’t even…I just said what was on my mind. I’m so sorry, for people who found that statement offensive, about me saying I’m in support of the anti gay law. I’m sorry.

“But I just feel, it’s not nice to me though, because, your father gave birth to you and your mother gave birth to you. You can have fun from now till whenever you like. But I think it’s very important for you to have your own kids. You can whatever you want, but just make sure you have your own kids that will call you father… Always remember that you want to have kids that will bury you. And don’t let the fun you’re having to overrun you.”

The ignorance in his continuous procreation premise s dizzying. It’s clear he thinks reproduction is the only function of marriage. Or most bewilderingly, he believes all the reason for one not to be gay is because it makes you incapable of bearing children. Then gay people don't have children? and 'insemination' or ‘adoption? Perhaps marriage automatically means giving birth to children? (that will bury you)

Then the insinuation that being gay is a thing, a phase. 'You’re gay just so you can have fun', who knew? (Well don't be overrun by the fun you are having!)

*imagine omophobes when they are not laughing to his dance moves updates or his advice to girls on how to hook a guy, will nod with 'glee', they've been proven right*

These kinds of ignorance about the LGBT community and the world at large is stagnation. There's need for education and exposure like Bisi Alimi offered.

Apart from all the ignorance, I agree that in these recent days the attention he has inadvertently shed on the LGBT home community (identity or non) is more than most activists has ever spurred.

• 3 weeks later...