Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Reuben Abati to render keynote address at TIER's conference.

Calllaris

To mark the Human Rights week, The Initiative for Equal Rights (TIERs) in partnership with YNaija.com has announced the speakers at its 2016 Human Rights discussion conference themed: Human Rights, Sexuality and the Law.

The conference is organised to take place on December 14, 2016 at Four Points by Sheraton, Victoria Island, Lagos, and will be an earnest inquiry into the issues of human right violations in Nigeria.

Speaking on the selected speakers for the event, Olumide Makanjuola, Executive Director of TIERS, said, “Human Rights in Nigeria is an issue that requires a serious examination. It is an important discussion that we need to have as a society and as a country. Speakers at this year’s event were selected based on their long standing on the issues of human right violation, law and protection in Nigeria.”

The panel – which includes Abayomi Shogunle, Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) at Nigeria Police Force; Cheta Nwanze, Chief Executive Officer, SBM Intelligence; Latasha Ngwube, Founder, About That Curvy Life/Content Writer at Vanguard Allure Magazine; Joy Isi Bewaji, Writer, Lifestyle Editor, Presenter, Publicist, Scriptwriter, Author at Happening Magazine; and Ayokunle Odekunle, Associate, Kenna Partners (Barristers and Solicitors) & Director, Corporate and Legal at BBG Media Group; Osikhena Dirisu (Osi Suave), On Air Personality and TV host – will be moderated by Chioma Agwuegbo, Founder at TechHer. And the keynote address will be delivered by Dr. Reuben Abati, the former Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.

Following the announcement of the distinguished guests expected to speak at the conference, notable among them Dr. Abati, who served as the mouthpiece of President Jonathan and hailed the anti gay law he signed into existence, there's been an uproar within the LGBT community and on social media over the choice of the keynote speaker.

Amongst many voices and objections at Abati giving the keynote address is Bisi Alimi, who took to his Facebook page to denounce what many others also believe is an unsuitable fit for an LGBT event;

sma978.jpg

prpkl.jpg

24o0piq.jpg

incrh2.jpg

There have also been other voices weighing in on the contention, both arguing in favour of and against the association Reuben Abati has with such a prestigious LGBT event, considering his past disdain for the Nigerian LGBT community.

fcp451.jpg

29p7kgz.jpg

6jk5du.jpg

1zxm8aa.jpg

What do you think?

• Moderators

TIERs is doing a fine job. It was a well organized outing. Very engaging, interactive and thought provoking.

I also did enjoy Rueben's address. At the end of the day, I take the man for his words as being a liberal. People evolve. Just as I am in no way the same person I was as recent as 2months ago.lol. I don't expect that people who once held certain views can't unlearn the old and embrace the new.

:)

I also enjoyed the event and feel inviting peeps who are once deemed "homophobic" is a step in the right direction, we ve to educate them and change their views

Great anonymous audience at this event.- so who was that with the xmas/ rainbow hat?

- good also to see that many are proud to be associated with this community 'outing'

So, it was a great and successful event, not forgetting interesting.

Reuben Abati, whose mention as the keynote speaker at the biggest human rights event had earlier sparked so much controversy especially amongst our LGBT community because of the many negative things he had said about LGBT persons and how he publicly championed the anti gay bill after it was signed into law, coupled with his homophobic statement made at a panel when deliberations on the anti-same sex marriage bill was discussed, turned out to be pro- LGBT in every way. Not homophobic after all!

Without any formal apology though to the Nigerian LGBT community, who have been gravely affected by the laws put in place by an administration he was a part of, Abati seemed to have taken a new stand on the issue of homosexuality and abruptly exonerated himself from any previous wrongdoing saying that he was only defending government policies which were part of his many responsibilities as a spokesperson. Remember;

“I was speaking as a government official, I was trying to explain the position of government to the public and to the international community, because the passing of that law became very controversial” he said.

In his address, Reuben Abati spoke out on issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons in Nigeria and noted clearly that human right is for everyone regardless of a person’s sexual orientation.

He also stated that Nigeria is not an exception when it comes to issues of human rights as the country is a signatory to other international treaties. Hear him;

“The dignity of a human being is without exclusion… the discussion of human rights, whether in relation to sexuality or any other subject, should be open and exclusive” he said.

Referring to the Same Sex Marriage Probation Act (SSMPA), Abati referenced several sections of the law and noted that there are several contradictions. He said;

“If you look at the law itself, there are contradictions. There are very clear issues that will require an amendment or a repeal of the law.

He drew attention to various sections of the law which he called vague; specifically condemning section 4 and 5.

“On the grounds of these, the law expressly criminalizes two persons coming together, hugging each other. If that section is misinterpreted, then you could have a situation where such persons are attacked”

Dr Reuben Abati then reminded that every individual has equal rights before the law, irrespective of their sexual orientation, and stated that though the Nigerian law prohibits same sex relations and activities, it didn’t make them wrong! - "Touche!!"

In his final note, Abati charged civil society organizations and members of the general public to continue to insist on human freedom adhering to the 30 basic universal human rights declarations.

After his speech, the first panel commenced discussions on the notion of technology with respect to activism and also who or what determines right or wrong in the society. Ths section of the panel was made up of feminist, writer and media practitioner; Joy Isi Bewaji, fashion journalist; Latasha Ngwube, social media gay rights activist; Jaja and was moderated by Chioma Agwuegbo.

The second panel session commenced afterwards and had discussions about how the members of the LGBT community can go about appealing to the government to lift the ban on LGBT activities, which would probably encourage more people to come out. Panelists included Ayokunle Odekunle, a lawyer cum brand strategist and Osikhena Dirisu, an On Air Personality at Beat FM.

The 'rainbow' (seemingly anonymous) audience were actively involved in the discussions and offered suggestions on how members of the public could be enlightened on the harmlessness of the LGBT community and the importance of ensuring equal rights for all citizens.

Believe it, this is a gigantic leap, let's continue the insistence.#revistSSMPA

Photos.

• 2 weeks later...

TIERs is doing a fine job. It was a well organized outing. Very engaging, interactive and thought provoking.

I also did enjoy Rueben's address. At the end of the day, I take the man for his words as being a liberal. People evolve. Just as I am in no way the same person I was as recent as 2months ago.lol. I don't expect that people who once held certain views can't unlearn the old and embrace the new.

:)/>

It really was enlightening. Somehow, I can attest to you no been same person you were 2 months ago. Was surprised to hear you were there. Haven't gotten over missing meeting you.

I hope you were that fine person I saw that wouldn't hold stares sha.

Was a great event. I loved the dishes!

• Moderators

Hahahaha. Teejay! Oya describe where you sat and what you wore :D :P

Haa. Hawken my baby girl :D, I didn't wait to eat o, I left immediately it was over. I couldn't even secure a single souvenir. Lol. The scramble for Africa caught me by surprise lol. Jokes. I wasn't rugged or fast enough I guess :(

Next time, we will both position ourselves to sit at the edge, nearest to the items. We didn't come to this world to carry last <_<