Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

We are looking for one protagonist that can share their story of love with our audience "

Calllaris

An international production company is looking for individuals in the Nigerian LGBT community who want to share their story in a high-end documentary.

They are looking for people with compelling personal love stories in which their sexuality and love for another individual have put them in conflict with their family, religion, or friends. It must be a love story

There are reportedly already a lot of Nigerians indicating interest, but their stories only span narratives of sex and abuse etc. The company is more vested in stories about love and conflict. The project is a part of intl TV docu-series which theme centers on LOVE. LOVE.

Applications should be aware that this will be a long-term documentary production and will require a significant amount of time to deeply explore their lives and the conflicts they have had to face.

Interested individuals must be gay or bisexual, able to articulate eloquently in English, be in love with the same sex or have been in love with the same sex, and must have an overall compelling story about their experiences of being gay in Nigeria.

And above all, there’s no anonymity associated with this project. The subject must be willing to show her/his face on camera. The documentary however is not intended for the Nigerian airwaves, if that is any comfort.

Anybody interested should contact via email (mynlgbtcommunity@filtered.com) for further info and possibly to get the contact details of the production company’s point man for further enlightenment.

Do pass along the word. Perhaps there’d be more people out there, Nigerians, who want to tell their stories with their identities stamped on it.

Kindly note, email adress is mynlgbtcommunity @ 'gee' mail 'dot' com, not mynlgbtcommunity@filtered.com. This page auto inserts '@filtered.com'.

Laughs in absence of safety plans. Laughs in exploitation. Laughs in taking absolutely no care of the context of Nigerian LGBT people...

These internationals wanting folks to put their lives on the line, in a country where it is illegal, and prone to mob justice can GTFOH. I can't even quantify how pissed I am

I can imagine, Al. This is exploitative. And what does "The documentary however is not intended for Nigerian airwaves, if that is any comfort" Who talks like that!?! Is there any Country we don't have a Nigerian?? Nigerians who would share with one person who shares with another, and before you know it, its all over the social media... Headlines: "Look at what these Nigerians are saying" "Do you know these people? Bring them put lets teach them a lesson about love"

Abeg o. Allow me love my love in this peaceful "Nigerian closet" I rather be the protagonist in Titanic, abeg.

An opportunity that many are clamouring to clinch. it is actually a vye and not surprising to me at all seeing chances are very limited. Seen as taking this fight to the next level; more exposure for the activist and home community, partnership with the bigger international community. Courage best suits such persons. Its not unpopular how suffocating the closet is, is it?

At the last popular community outing last year, some one took the microphone (on air) and said "Hi, Dr..., I am made to understand you don’t believe we exist in Nigeria. Well, now you know we do. I am a citizen. I work in this country. I pay my taxes. My name is... and I am a Lesbian.”

Its most likely about perception, your stage of activities and choice. Last count at 'out and proud' Nigerian lesbians (who came out on air. Period 2014 - 2016) living openly in Nigeria is above 8. Dont ask me what moves them, I've said what.

We can never remain 'this' way in Nigeria as an LGBT community. That's a given.

• 2 months later...

Calla my criticism is not of people coming out, but of foreigners coming to Nigeria and putting Nigerians in trouble. If a Nigerian company/organisation/audience was doing this, and took cognizance of people's reality and security, I'm all for it. But this "there’s no anonymity...must show their face" is exploitative.

Yes we want our stories to be told, but it should be on our own terms

• 1 month later...

This isn't an oportunity big or small. I fail to see how you don't get it *sigh*

Writers are being kidnapped for supporting gay rights, people are thrown out of their homes by family or landlords for being gay, others have been arrested for being in parties where the gender percentage was too distorted. I can't even list the amount of people who have been blackmailed and extorted just in 2017 for their sexuality. This is the reality of LGBTI people not living in Abuja, Lagos, Port Hacourt. As an out lesbian living in Abuja, I am very much aware of my privileges and when I think of the community, I do not ask them to put their necks out because I know the risks involved. Maybe you need to think outside of your privilege before you call this dangerous idea an opportunity. Like!!!

The international production company will breeze their people in, keep them in fancy hotel, shoot video for a few days/hours, and jet back out of Nigeria to their super safe countries. And then what happens to the Nigerians? They lose their job, get thrown out of their homes, lose friends, possibly get beat up or even lose their lives. Any plan to deal with their trauma, any plan for local safe houses, Cross-County sanctuary, anything???!!!

The best case scenario would be making plans to move people to safe houses in case of any violence, or even facilitate sanctuary out of Nigeria: but that in itself is a horrid idea as asylum is not an easy option. Talk to people who have sought asylum and listen to the stories of loss, loneliness, despair...but I digress

The absence of anonymity is what I find annoying. And issues were raised here. Yes our people saw it, hmmmm-ed, shook their heads and moved on. Instead of you to even address those issues you sound like you are reprimanding folks for passing it up on regards of their safety. Ah ah!!!

The sheer arrogance of strangers coming in and dictating terms just irks me. Biko leave us, we will tell our own story when we are ready. ON OUR OWN TERMS. With or without our names

Again, I do not understand how you can't see this. That is why I am writing this epistle. Urrrgh!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

It is activism in it's form still. The protagonist 'is' a Nigerian LGBT who is ready to come OUT, waiting for her opportunity to tell her story. Its simple.

Telling your story is activism and it is not for a few persons alone to enjoy the privileges of being 'out'. Anybody can decide to be out and tell their story in a documentary. Its majorly a matter of choice.

We equally decided to tone down on the financial dividends because we wanted people who really wanted to tell their story, above the benefits.

And I think I had initially, in this thread, insinuated the probable achievements of this opportunity; it gives you more access to the international LGBT community, gives you visibility (dont for a second think that there aren't people in our community who are dying to be hero's and heroines like the few we have). it, in itself is visibility which our community really needs now. Question is who dare?

• Downvote 1

And the insistence on attribution and lack of anonymity. Just form over function?

I feel like I've reached a brick wall with this conversation...

Some days (terms) are like that. Terms do have partners.

Let's win- win and partner with 'neo - colonization'

They are looking for sacrificial lambs for their own agenda. If this was really to shed light on the LGBT plight in Nigeria, they would put into consideration the things that make it a plight in the first place.

And if this isn't meant for Nigerian airways, how would the participants be heroes? They aren't doing it to sensitize the Nigerian community. Their intended audience would watch it and simply be grateful for the privileged lives they live. Best case scenario is some NGOs would get some donations. Honestly all they would be, would be mere characters in one mans dream to win an academy award for best documentary series.

By the way, I hope you would be starring in this?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

"If you are looking for an excuse, any excuse will do"

The reality is, except you are willing to use your story as an advocacy tool, this project is not for you.

• Downvote 1

So you feel people paying attention to their safety is an excuse. Wow

There are many ways to advocate without putting one's self in the line of fire. You might want to read the gay revolution, the story of the struggle and also watch when we rise. Everyone has a role, and different tactics have their time.

That said, the reason this conversation is ongoing is because you refuse to hear what we are saying. The terms set out by these foreigners doesn't take the safety of Nigerians into account. Period

• Upvote 2

For now in Nigeria, every form of LGBT advocacy is altogether a very risky business (read what the bill says). So it boils down to your level of activism and how much you are eager to stake. Everyone does have a role but different tact towards advocacy.

Even the production group isn't indemnified. We too risk 10 years in jail for supporting the cause??

It is a known fact that in Nigeria, you provide security for yourself, LGBT or not and that's a shame but its reality..(ordinarily if being gay is criminal, and you are found gay, an ideal government should not support you being lynched, mobbed, etc).

Inversely, if our fight is to be decriminalized, then we must be more focused in that struggle. (something like "I am queer, I am here, I am not a criminal")

Truth is, nowhere in the liberal world, didnt people COME OUT to defend what they believed in. Good news is, not everybody will fight. Some will but others can hide away and await the victory.

There are an on-the-fence advocates/activists, doesnt mean some other persons arent willing to come on ALL OUT out to defend what they believe in.

Advocacy by the way is a belief in a cause that makes you see every obstruction as a violation of your human rights. Which is actually the case with LGBT rights in Nigeria. Our rights to be are being violated. Every LGBT person in Nigeria is at a security risk because of the anti gay bill. Being LGBT in Nigeria is criminal, which is wrong!, so we all have to firstly acknowledge that fact before looking to see if we are ready to tell our stories. The two arent connected at all.

The truth about visibility and none silence of the western movement is what the whole world is benefiting from today. If it was not for media revolution, gay mentality changing today will not happen. American shows putting it in our faces on TV and internet is what will make our kids see it as okay. It is also what is making gay people see being gay as okay.

Non anonymity clause is the condition of this project and it depends on individuals to decide if they are interested in this level of advocacy or not. And to remove that 'Veil Of Silence'

All that above is an extreme case scenario though. Let's bring it home.

It will still depend on your method and level of involvement in community projects. I'll repeat, except you are willing to use your story as an advocacy tool, this project isnt for you.

This project's term of asking for non-anonymity doesnt mean there arent safety plans. The long term security plan (after the project) and the short term security plan (during the project) isnt something that isnt thought out at all because like said above the production crew are at risk too.. That is why 'Rainbow rail road' is our major partner, you can check out what they specialize on.

Let it be known though that we arent compelling (simple language is NOT BEGGING) people who arent ready to tell their stories, to come out or promising relocation and security, its against journalism ethics and industry standards. It is tantamount to coercion. We dont need that.

The protagonist firstly is a person who has discovered who they are, know who they are, love themselves, are happy being who they are, unapologetic about it, must be willing to tell their story and most importantly, have something they want to take away from this project. That's why I called it a partnership.

I will entertain any more questions or concerns. Im a believer in airing views and discussions for clarity purposes not particularly responding to any specific comment.

*No need to divulge further information though except to persons who are really interested in more details and can do so privately. Did I say I have a protagonist already?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

On a funny note, remember the theme of this project is love, the course of casting for characters has been very interesting. A lot of LGBT stories, a lot of young LGBT persons, (late teens to mid twenties) we met who were willing to comeout and tell their stories,- no offence to anyone here that is within that age range - but we didnt want that stage where the individuals are so

young, still on a journey of self discovery, they really don't know who they are yet, (all excitement and talk). A lot of them can't even tell yet who their personality is . Understandably so, I'm going back to myself at that age as well, many of us can identify with that type of mentality at that age: that you re young, and happy and just having fun. The danger with that, is; if that is the kind of story we tell, we'll be feeding stereotypes. So we were casting for people who already knows who they are.

Then they were a multitude of this other group, who were already in the process of seeking assylum.., who felt this project will help their cause. (Im not 100

%subjected to that) so it all boils to what you hope to takeaway from It all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2