Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×

10 Television Series You Should Watch This Year

Chrmd

10 TV series you missed or is missing out this year 2017. It is a must watch for all the movie watchers out here in NL.

1. Game of Thrones

Winter is here, and there are only 13 episodes left. After blasting viewers into uncharted territory last year, Game of Thrones has everything to play for in 2017. Daenerys is heading to Westeros with her dragons. The White Walkers are heading south. Leaked plots and set photos hint at something truly epic on the horizon.

This is a personal favorite of mine, most people don’t like the plot or characters, but I do and if you haven’t watched it yet please do it this year!!!

2. Taboo

Tom Hardy stars as an adventurer in the 1800s, who on his return to England, seeks revenge on the men who killed his father. Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight again partners up with Hardy following their fruitful collaborations on the popular BBC drama as well as the 2013 feature, Locke. This project is particularly close to Hardy’s heart, with Chips Hardy (his dad) being credited as a co-creator. Jonathan Pryce, Oona Chaplin and Jessie Buckley are among the talented cast.

***. Stranger Things

This thrilling Netflix-original drama stars award-winning actress Winona Ryder as Joyce Byers, who lives in a small Indiana town in 1983 -- inspired by a time when tales of science fiction captivated audiences. When Joyce's 12-year-old son, Will, goes missing, she launches a terrifying investigation into his disappearance with local authorities. As they search for answers, they unravel a series of extraordinary mysteries involving secret government experiments, unnerving supernatural forces, and a very unusual little girl.

This one’s for all the supernatural lovers, if you love all things weird and scary then this is for you.

4. When We Rise

This intriguing new project from Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black chronicles the gay rights movement in the US from the Stonewall Riots in 1969 onwards. The first two-hour segment will be directed by Gus van Sant, and the cast includes Guy Pearce and Mary-Louise Parker as an LGBT activist and women’s rights activist respectively.

Nothing is as good as watching a film about how the LGBT community and women fought for their right. If you haven’t seen this yet, you should, as quickly as possible!!!

5. How to get away with murder

A group of ambitious law students and their brilliant criminal defense professor become involved in a twisted murder plot that promises to change the course of their lives. Annalise Keating (Oscar- and Tony-winning actress Viola Davis), a brilliant, charismatic and seductive professor of defense law, teaches a class called How to Get Away With Murder. Annalise, also a criminal defense attorney, selects a group of students -- the best and the brightest -- to assist with cases at her firm alongside her employees, the trustworthy and discreet Frank Delfino (Charlie Weber) and Bonnie Winterbottom ("Gilmore Girls" alum Liza Weil), an associate attorney. Mysteries arise that test everyone's limits and reveal dark truths.

If you love viola Davis, you want to solve criminal cases deep down and be the lawyer you always wanted to be, then this is for you.

6. Greys anatomy

The medical drama series focuses on a group of doctors at a hospital in Seattle, including several who began their careers at the facility as interns. One of the doctors and the show's namesake, Meredith Grey, is the daughter of a famous surgeon. She struggles to maintain relationships with her colleagues, particularly the hospital's one-time chief of surgery, Richard Webber, due to a pre-existing relationship between them -- Webber and Meredith's mother had a personal relationship when Meredith was young.

Most of you have probably seen this series, but if you have not then you should. You will be awed from its captivating plots and brilliant characters

7. The walking dead

Based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman, this gritty drama portrays life in the weeks and months following a zombie apocalypse. Led by police officer Rick Grimes, his family and a group of other survivors find themselves constantly on the move in search of a safe and secure home. But the pressure each day to stay alive sends many in the group to the deepest depths of human cruelty, and Rick discovers that the overwhelming fear of the survivors can be more deadly than the zombies walking among them.

If you have sometimes wondered in your life what it will be like surviving a zombie apocalypse, then you should watch this. Great plot, a touch of horror, a lot of deceit and betrayal, plus everything you’ve hoped for!

8. Devious maids

In Beverly Hills, whoever "has the dirt" holds the power. In some of the city's wealthiest families, that power belongs to a close-knit group of maids who have ambition and dreams of their own. The maids are brought together by their jobs, life struggles and the upstairs-downstairs universe of their employers. Rosie, Carmen, Marisol and Zoila are the women who turn to one another for support when times get tough, including when fellow maid Flora is found murdered in her employers' home and when problems pop up in the maids' romances and personal lives.

Who doesn’t love a film mixed with a lot of humor, crime, mystery, dating and Life In Beverly hills?

9. Homeland

When Marine Sgt. Nicholas Brody returns home following eight years in captivity, CIA agent Carrie Mathison thinks he has turned and is connected to a terror plot to be carried out on American soil, so she engages him in a dangerous game of cat and mouse that puts America's national security at risk. Later on, Carrie gets a promotion and returns to the front lines overseas. She is assigned to one of the CIA's most volatile and dangerous stations in the Middle East, where she is in the heart of battle in the war on terror. Years later, after being disillusioned and placing herself in a self-imposed exile in Berlin, Carrie becomes estranged from the CIA, eventually returning stateside where she works for a foundation providing aid to Muslims living in America.

10. Scandal

Olivia Pope, a former media consultant to the president, is ready to move on with her life and opens her own crisis-management firm, but she can't seem to shake ties with her past. Olivia's staff includes Quinn Perkins, who has a complicated history, and hacker extraordinaire Huck. As she moves forward it becomes clear that, while her staffers may specialize in cleaning up the lives of other people, they can't seem to do the same for themselves.

I cannot with SHONDA RHIMES so I'm done letting her torture and break my heart. So that takes out 5, 6, and 10.

My SO however, watches all of shonds work so i guess i'm not done afteralldry.gif

1 is brilliant and anticipated. 2 is well, i dunno. I don't really like Tom Hardy's face. He's hot in an annoying way. *** i will be looking into once i finish Grimm. 4 is an obligation that i will rise to. 7's latest season was shit! The very worst. They need to pull the plug on this show. 8 was enjoyed. If you haven't seen it, see it. 9 doesn't sound spectacular.

• 4 months later...

1-love it (who doesn't )..2-nah...***-love it(big fan of d supernatural )

5,6,7-am tired of....8-love that one too.9-sounds boring.10-great show. 

Yes @FlyJ..yes o..I watch Power...really interesting .

1-love it (who doesn't )..2-nah...***-love it(big fan of d supernatural )

5,6,7-am tired of....8-love that one too.9-sounds boring.10-great show. 

Yes @FlyJ..yes o..I watch Power...really interesting .

@FlyJOmg! I hate that kid (Tariq) he is stupid, makes bad decisions and a nuisance. He should have died instead of his sister, but I guess he still has a role to play. I just wish it would be easy to slap him through the screen lol. 

I kinda began to like Andre in season *** and now i hate him already.

still waiting patiently for the promise the next season has.

My priority for series now is to find representation. Is there some queerness in it? Then yes, I am watching. The only exception I have made it for The Expanse and Westword. So in no particular order, these are series I would really recommend

1. When we rise  (as mentioned above, it is AMAZING!!!)
  2. Wentworth (Prison drama. OITNB wishes it were them. It wishes it were so addictive. And evil. And sweet. Frankie!!! Maxine!!! Bee!!! The Freak!!! So much coolness. And evil)
  3. Orange is the new black (great diverse cast of queer people in real life and on the show. Some addictive and heartbreaking stories. Women loving women everywhere!)
  4. Game of Thrones (because Duh!)
  5. The Good fight (spin off of the Good wife but based solely on a lesbian, yum!)
  6. The bold type (lesbian, immigrant, Muslim, hell yes!!!)
  7. Winona Earp (lesbian cuteness galore, start right now)
  8. SuperGirl (lesbian story line handled so well)
  9. The Fosters (because Lesbian power mums, gay son, also produced by JLo)
  10. This is us (Cutest family dynamic. Race, death, weight-loss, body doubts, love, and the grandfather's coming out was EPIC!!!)
  11. The Handmaid's Tale (this is where they stole Samira Wiley AKA Pousey from OITNB to. And she's a lesbian here too. It is dark, but oh so good!)
  12. The Expanse (Humans have conquered Mars, Venus, and plenty other planets. But those there want to be independent so wahala dey. So, so good!)
  13. Westworld (Humans have started making realistic robots and program them for fun. Built a place called westworld set like the wild wild west where you can go play cowboy, kill, f***k, and rape to your hearts desire and move on. They get fixed and memory wiped the next day. Then the machines start remembering. Addictive)

Seen only 1&9. The others are not my kind. I watch 'Jack Bauer'😄 And medieval kind of movies. If you're in Sync with me, you should watch

Into the badlands

Queen of the South

Designated Survivor

24 Legacy

The traveller (Oldie but goodie)

Wow i've watched all except  12,11,1....@Farida seems like we r in sync(i watch any kind though ),I've  watched all those series, my favourite is into d badlands and queen of the south

@Althena.....U should also checked these ones out...it also has lgbt represention..

1.Sense8 (surprised u didn't mention it)

2.Gypsy 

***.You me her

4.Gotham (just a little bit )

5.Claws....there so many others I can't remember 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Majesty said:

@Althena.....U should also checked these ones out...it also has lgbt represention..

1.Sense8 (surprised u didn't mention it)

2.Gypsy 

***.You me her

4.Gotham (just a little bit )

5.Claws....there so many others I can't remember 

Oh, Sens8! I think I forgot because season 2 disappointed me so much. They lost track of the storyline, there was barely any sex scenes unlike season 1, and our favorite lesbian couple barely had any screen time together. I guess it's easy to see why it was cancelled, especially as they were losing more money than they were making.

I'll add the others you mentioned in your list. And haunt you if they are crap :597f81dfa7900_tw_angry1: 

On 8/28/2017 at 4:41 PM, Majesty said:

Wow i've watched all except  12,11,1....@Farida seems like we r in sync(i watch any kind though ),I've  watched all those series, my favourite is into d badlands and queen of the south

Into the badlands is life!💯🙌🏿