Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Can same-sex parents both be biological parents of their child?

Chrmd

GettyImages-630282800-650x448.jpg

In short: not yet. But all the signs point to it being possible in the not-too-distant future.

For countless same-sex couples, it has long been a distant dream to be able to be fathers and mothers to their children in the same way opposite-sex parents have always been.

But over the past two years, the science behind a child being the biological progeny of two fathers or mothers has come on leaps and bounds.

In 2015, the UK became the first country to approve a law to allow babies to be created from the DNA of three people – including two mothers.

Since then, IVF clinics have been able to replace an egg’s defective mitochondrial DNA with healthy DNA from a female donor’s egg.

Parliament’s decision followed news that researchers at Cambridge University had discovered it was possible to make egg and sperm cells using skin cells of two same-sex parents.

In the time since, we have witnessed the first baby being born with three biological parents and a set of triplets who were born to two fathers.

Last year in South Africa, two men – Theo and Christo Menelaou – became biological parents to their three children, having fathered one egg each.

After being fertilised, one of the eggs split into identical twins.

Several news publications have lost their collective minds over the years at the idea that men could be made ‘obsolete’ in the reproductive process by this possibility.

Despite their overblown fears – and unfortunately, considering the fantastic potential for this to make biological babies of lesbian

couples a reality – experiments are still ongoing.

But either way, whether it’s via bone marrow, stem cells or otherwise, the consensus is coalescing around the acceptance that same-sex biological parents will soon be a feature of everyday life.

Source

Nice. Wouldn't mind if me and my wife (in the future of course) could be biological parents to our kid(s).

• Moderators

Very very very nice indeed...

I feel like giving science and persistence a big huge fat and wet kiss now!

This was how Domo and Chrisy had their baby. I guess. I mean, the baby looks like Chrissy, but Domo carried him and gave birth to him. Chrissy's fertilized eggs was planted into Domo and she carried the baby cause wifey is scared of childbirth. Okay, I miss those couple. Lemme go watch their vlogs now.

I think this would really be pushing science and the evolution of life. Let's see how it pans out ?

Why

It just seems like a lot.

I understand it goes way beyond just helping same sex couples have biological kids. But still, a lot.

Exactly. Sometimes certain things should just be left alone. You need a man and a woman to have a child. Sounds great to me.

Very soon they will make kids with morethan *** parents just because they can. They will have dna taken from several people in a bid to make the "perfect" human being. The possibilities are astonishing but shouldn't be tapped or atleast open to the public unless in situations where couples are actually unable to have a child because of a defect or something.

By the way, how much research has been done into the psychological and biological effect of having *** parents? On the children that is.