Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

What book/ novel are you reading at the moment?

elegantj

• Moderators

I haven't but I have seen the movie a couple of times. It's a classic although I found it a little disturbing with the abuse scenes...

Yeah it's a classic. There's a lot of domestic abuse in the book too, especially on the main character miss Celie.

I guess we're all reading the colour purple. Is it just me or the type of literature used in the novel is quite difficult to understand its literary meaning as one reads, I mean the type of vocabulary used is just abit out of it, not until now I came across this book, I never knew there was something like this in literature. ( i thought twas only in poetry an author was allowed to do such)a lthough this is the very first time I had come across such book, I know my criticism isn't constructive enough, i just thought i pointed it out. But So far its been an intriguing read, at page 18. And I am also reading two another books conjoined with colour purple namely anthills of the Savannah h by Achebe page 90and the anthology of queer art ( we are flowers) page 104.

Last book I read was Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Still great after all this time :)

Also I've been reading Lillian Faderman's "The Gay Revolution: The Story of the Struggle" since last year so I don't know if that counts. The book is so good I never want to finish it

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very unlike my sister whose nose is always in a book. Spends a fortune on them and would go without food to buy one. I do only non-fiction, the most recent being Black Testosterone. Story is shockingly vulgar, if you don't mind. Held me spellbound, it did.

I love novels, currently reading The color purple by Alice Walker. Who else has read it?

Read it, Loved it. Funny thing was I even liked that broken english way Celie writes. Women like Shug Avery are such a breath of fresh air, angels even of sorts. I like to think that she gave Celie her life back. Celie though is indeed one tough woman, so much was against her and to think that she overcame. Simply amazing. I respect strong women like that.

Don't know what happened to my reading attitude, lost it

You're not alone in that boat, i'm so there with you. Mine is even worse cause I can't even finish reading mere articles anymore.