Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Writer Chibuihe Obi reportedly kidnapped for writing about queerphobia

FlyJ

• Administrators

chibuihe-obi_640x345_acf_cropped.jpg

Nigerian writer Chibuihe Obi has reportedly been kidnapped after publishing an essay on queerphobia.

The writer, poet and photographer published a personal essay detailing his own experience with queerphobia in the country on May 17.

Following the essay being published in Brittle Paper, Obi has not been heard from since June 1.

Those close to the writer have taken to Facebook to express their worries over his whereabouts.

Many believe that he was kidnapped by “homophobic thieves”.

This group are allegedly known for kidnapping and targeting other LGBT writers who they threatened to “hunt down” and “kill them”.

One person wrote on Facebook: “Dear Senator Sola Adeyeye, I am begging you in the name of everything, if you really care for me, help me, join hands with Senator Ben Murray-Bruce to find the Nigerian writer, Chibuihe Obi. I am distraught beyond words. Help the Nigerian writing community. This young man must be found alive. He is our son! I am begging you!”

One person told GSN that the last known whereabouts of Obi was in Umuahia, where his mother lives.

However, someone else saw Obi in Owerri on the day that people lost contact with him, but this may be speculation and is unconfirmed information.

“Three of those people happened to be with us when they got the messages – that’s when we knew what had happened. Half of their messages are homophobic, death threats or promises to hunt down other queer writers,” the anonymous source said.

LGBT people who engage in same-sex relationships in Nigeria are at risk of a 10-year-prison sentence.

Those who participate in “gay clubs, societies and organisations” can also face a prison sentence.

Reverend Hide Macaulay, an openly gay theologian, condemned the recent disappearances of LGBT people in the country.

“The LGBTQ people are suffering and now there is a new crime of kidnapping those who fare to speak up, especially activist like Chibuihe Obi who use the media platform and blog to write about the abuses of LGBTQ people in Nigeria,” the reverend said.

“This is not good, he states. ‘LGBTQ people in Nigeria deserves the full protection of the law, and not be terrified. It’s time to challenge the homophobia and ignorance of the society on the existence of lesbians and gays.”

Source

Nigerians and misplaced priorities. Hopefully, kidnapping the boy would put an end to the recession. Nonsense!

• Like 1

My Goodness, they suspected him gay hence the kidnap. The young writer was just a mere activist who seeks out for equal rights and fairness for sexually oppressed people.

I think the law is taken too literally by most citizens in very hostile environments. Some laws are just unethical and this is true for the 2014 law signed by GEJ. How does a parent report their child to authorities for being gay? Isnt it absurd! Taking the advantage of the law and humiliating gays and pro gays is just so inhumane and uncalled for. There is no law that promotes mob psychology and violence like the 2014 anti-gay marriage law.

Nigeria lawmakers made a very bad precedent for the rest of Africa. Very sad.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

My Goodness, they suspected him gay hence the kidnap. The young writer was just a mere activist who seeks out for equal rights and fairness for sexually oppressed people.

I think the law is taken too literally by most citizens in very hostile environments. Some laws are just unethical and this is true for the 2014 law signed by GEJ. How does a parent report their child to authorities for being gay? Isnt it absurd! Taking the advantage of the law and humiliating gays and pro gays is just so inhumane and uncalled for. There is no law that promotes mob psychology and violence like the 2014 anti-gay marriage law.

Nigeria lawmakers made a very bad precedent for the rest of Africa. Very sad.

Well said!

When will Nigeria and Nigerians get it right? I shake my head for this homophobic people. Kidnap those stealing your monies and taking them abroad or burying them in graveyards, NO, they are there kidnapping innocent activists.

• Moderators

f***king bullshit.

i hope he is found alive and in good health.

I hope so too.... :( sighs