Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Jay-Z reveals his mum is a lesbian in surprise pro-gay track on new album 4:44

Chrmd

GettyImages-473812338_640x345_acf_cropped.jpg

Jay-Z’s mum has come out as a lesbian, dropping a surprise pro-LGBT anthem collaborating with her son.

Beyoncé’s husband dropped his long-awaited new album 4:44 on his streaming service Tidal this week.

One of the tracks on the album, Smile, features his mother Gloria Carter, who reveals publicly for the first time that she is gay.

Jay-Z raps:

“Push through the pain so we can see new life/So all the ladies havin’ babies, see a sacrifice “Mama had four kids, but she’s a lesbian/Had to pretend so long that she’s a thespian

“Had to hide in the closet, so she medicate/Society shame and the pain was too much to take

“Cried tears of joy when you fell in love/Don’t matter to me if it’s a him or her

“I just wanna see you smile through all the hate/Marie Antoinette, baby, let ’em eat cake”.

His mum Gloria Carter also features on the track, referencing her sexuality.

She raps:

“Living in the shadow/Can you imagine what kind of life it is to live?

“In the shadows people see you as happy and free/Because that’s what you want them to see.

“Living two lives, happy, but not free/You live in the shadows for fear of someone hurting your family or the person you love.

“The world is changing and they say it’s time to be free/But you live with the fear of just being me.

“Living in the shadow feels like the safe place to be/No harm for them, no harm for me

“But life is short, and it’s time to be free/Love who you love, because life isn’t guaranteed.”

In an interview with CNN, he said banning gay people from getting married was “discrimination, plain and simple”, and “no different than discriminating against blacks”.

He said: “What people do in their own homes is their business and you choose to love whoever you love.”

Source