Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

More Nigerians in their 30s are hypertensive — Cardiologist

FlyJ

• Administrators

hypertension.jpg

Consultant Cardiologist, Dr. Folasade Alli, has raised the alarm that many Nigerians in their 30s are being diagnosed wth hypertension.

Alli, who is the Chief Medical Director of Lagos Executive Cardiovascular Clinic, spoke at a seminar organised by the hospital in Lagos.

According to her, the death of most young Nigerians can be linked to heart-related challenges caused by undetected and unmanaged hypertension

Alli said, “There have been instances of young Nigerians dying with heart-related diseases, and the number one cause on the list is the silent killer, hypertension.

“In my earlier years of practice, high blood pressure was mostly an issue of the mature and old folk starting from 40, but now we see 28 to 35- year-old patients.

“The first issue with the younger generation is the false and unwise belief that they are young and thus, do not need to regularly check themselves; then the second is the fact that they are not taking preventive measures and, of course, the lack of public information on these plays a major role.”

The cardiologist said that Nigerians needed to drop all religious sentiments when it came to matters of their health and make the necessary lifestyle changes to reduce their chances of developing heart-related diseases.

“ When Nigerians are told that their blood pressure is high, some reply ‘I reject it.’ But, guess what? It is indeed high – there is nothing to reject because it is happening. The bottom line is that this attitude needs to change,” she stated.

To reduce one’s risk of developing cardiovascular diseases , Alli recommended that individuals should reduce their salt and alcohol intake and avoid stress.

“Your stress level matters a lot too – for example, think about the health implication before you take a serious business decision – don’t attempt to whack a round brick into a triangular hole, it will stress you out!”

Alli, who stressed that high blood pressure could also be hereditary, advised those with a family history of the disease to be more watchful of their lifestyles while also maintaining a relationship with their cardiologists.

She advised Nigerians to imbibe the culture of going for medical checkups from the age of 28 as absence of symptoms does not mean there is none.

“We have some cases of young men dying of cardiac arrest during a tennis match, while jogging, and so on. This could have been prevented if they knew they had heart problems. When you do a comprehensive health assessment, abnormalities in the body may be detected and corrected.

“There are some hole-in-the heart cases that were discovered at 28. In fact, we had a hole-in-the heart case that was discovered in a pregnant woman. In essence, it is important to check as advised by a cardiologist or medical professional.”

Source

• Like 1

• Moderators

This is very true...

I know a couple of very young guys with hypertension :( both bankers. The ridiculous and often unrealistic work pressures coupled with the incredible level of stress that comes with living in a fast-paced city such as Lagos is enough in itself to get your blood pressure up.

Please let us take time out to go check our vitals. These are the silent killers we musn't lose sight of.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

it is so sad that Many nigerians believe being young equals being healthy and others refuse to have monthly check ups because their spiritual leaders told them "they would never get sick and going to the doctor means you are spiritually weak". igorance, nonchalant attitude and over spirituality is killing us slowly.

it is true that you can't reject what is already there.

it is so sad that Many nigerians believe being young equals being healthy and others refuse to have monthly check ups because their spiritual leaders told them "they would never get sick and going to the doctor means you are spiritually weak". igorance, nonchalant attitude and over spirituality is killing us slowly.

it is true that you can't reject what is already there.

I would say lack finance is a major deterrent than Spiritual Leaders. Especially if you consider the age group being talked about.

Awareness also helps too. I hope blood pressure test is enough to detect all heart conditions cus I think that's the highest cardiovascular test I've done.

For all my close acquaintances, your 30th birthday gift is a total checkup at mecure, Oshodi. Before the major recession hit, it was 5000# and below. Now its below 10,000#.

From 30yrs old, dont joke with your doctor. Before 30 y.o,dont joke with your lawyer (especially if you are a 'trouble maker').

So after 30, dont joke with both your....do the math.

Check your BP before hitting the jog track, always.

When your GF gives you drama, find out exactly what she's trying to say by talking so you dont dwell and ponder your BP into high.

Make up sex will help if either being irrational. Initiate it.

Hang out with only those friends that make you laugh.

When you drink, know your guage.

Do not argue over drinks. Avoid serious arguments like a plague. (If you make me argue or angry while I'm drinking or hanging out then I confirm you are an enemy)

From age 40, dont jog, rather walk briskly as a form of exercise. Especially if you aren't a fit freak and not a 'regular worker' already like Michelle Obama.

Reduce salt.

Include siesta.

Take time deliberaltely to rest. Just lay and rest.

Seek immediate/ permanent solutions to issues instead of staying angry or worrying at them. It wont just make you a healthier person, it makes you more accomplished.

• Upvote 1