Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Nigerian Mother's Response Surprises Gay Son

FlyJ

• Administrators

Illustrative-parents.jpg

Adebayo fondly known as Bayo told NoStringNG.com about how he came out to his mother while they were together in a church. He said that his fear did not come instantly, but few minutes after he told his mother that he is gay.

“I didn’t get any rush of relief or anything. Although when it happened, I wasn’t scared, cos I’d always wanted to, but minutes later, I got this surge of fear coursing through me”

A lot of Christians in the country are very homophobic mostly due to ignorance and scriptural misinterpretations. A large number of its leaders even speak openly against homosexuality.

It was in the middle of a homophobic sermon that Bayo came out to his mother after the preacher said things he described as ‘choking’ about homosexuality.

He said;

“We were at church and the topic of marriage between a man and a woman as usual veered into the topic of homosexuality and I felt like I was choking, I was mad at what I was hearing, and I decided to tell my mom.

According to Bayo, his mother who at first did not seem to react in any particular way, became shocked when he told her again on their way home. He also said that coming out to his mother was something he has been planning on doing for a long time but never found the right time to do so.

Bayo said that his mother, who is a Christian, seems to be surprisingly at ease with his coming out though slightly shocked and curious.

“She’s a Christian with values that would not make it so easy to change her perception of the gay idea.

“She took it well, I’d say. She wasn’t angry. Just shocked, had lots of questions. Still, does. She even asked up to the point of, “how do they have sex?

Bayo is optimistic that his mother will someday come to a full understanding that being gay is normal just like heterosexuality. He said that his mother is now planning on speaking to a doctor on the issue.

“She said she would talk to a doctor. I’m still hoping for the best”

Source

• Like 1

Lmao.

The mother is even understanding, she is on her way to accepting him at least, even if it might take a while.

Don't try this with some kind of mother's tho, they will just faint :D :D

In one of those hate crimes in South Africa, the mother actually paid her brother to rape correct her lesbian daughter till she changes. And she will stand at the door and listen . I can't even talk about it.

In one of those hate crimes in South Africa, the mother actually paid her brother to rape correct her lesbian daughter till she changes. And she will stand at the door and listen . I can't even talk about it.

What happened to humanity?

This is one of many cases where parents bully their lgbtqia+ children into a state of depression and at rare cases to death.

The thought of the fact that this "hideous act" is done deliberately by so called loved ones all for the sakes of "correctional purposes" is heart-wrenching.

Not every mother would be open minded as this one. Some would go through a grave extent to "ungay" their gay children.

I still insist, for most lgbtqia+ persons who could afford the fortitude to bear the plights and struggles of being a closeted gay shouldn't stress about"coming out which would inadvertently reduce any risk of facing traumatizing experiences such as the description above.

Oh yes, i read about, it was too sad I couldn't even finish reading the article :(/>/> :(/>/>