Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

We are who we are

kimi

• Moderators

We are who we are? NO!

Happy wet Sunday everyone and welcome to another of my morning musings. Lol

I am Kimi the mature Lesbian aka awesome little baby tiger kitten. So here goes...

Are we really who we are at this very moment? Do you sometimes catch yourself saying "It's me, take it or leave it" or "It's just the way I am" or "This is me" or any of the other more incoherent versions :D :D you get the gist. Lol.

Here is what I think:

The 'person' we think we are and desperately hold on to Isn't who we've always been. My point is that we are always 'becoming'. The person we are today is a creation of our past, our present, our beliefs, our interactions, the environment we've lived in etc... all these and much more have shaped and still shape the people we are today. It is then fair to say that you've played a passive role in becoming the person you are today.

So I ask the question again, "Are you really who you think you are? Who really are you?

To answer this question, it is easy and tempting to fall back to introspection, or to sampling opinions of close allies. Truth is, that is the express route to being misled considering that all they know you to be is simply a projection of what you thought was you.

"Haa" You may exclaim. Lol. One of the greatest myths of our time is that we are who we are and people must come to accept us for who we are. On this 9th Day of July, I disagree. I would rather side with the school of thought (I'm sure there is one. Lol. I can't possibly be the only one having this lightbulb moment.lol) that holds that 'we CREATE' who we are. We CREATE who we wish to be if we come to a realization that the present state isn't working for us and we rather take on a more active role in the becoming process.

I do this often, there is a type of person I never want to be. So you would never catch me doing things that would create that sort of person.

Creating ourselves is a continuous process. It is catching yourself doing something apart from what you would rather have yourself do and getting back on track. It is catching yourself doing things right and giving yourself due credit for it.

Truth is, it is a wet wet Sunday morning and I am nowhere near a church. I am curled up in bed and so... if you leave me to it, I will fill these pages with all the things that go on in my head. We wouldn't want that would we :D :D :D

xx

• Downvote 1

Lol...Aunty Kim Kim.

Nice Education. ..I enjoyed it and smiled at the end of it.

Wat a reality

The journey of becoming never really ends

There's always the need to "become more"

Selah

Sighs. An ancient Japanese saying goes thus #you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Nice post. Muse on.

• Moderators

Thanks guys!

Hahaha. Aunty Jenny, stop spoiling market for me jor #foreveryoung

@Vina, If the old dog desires new tricks, who are we to deny him of them thereof or stand in the way of destiny. Alalujah! :D

• Downvote 1

Thanks guys!

Hahaha. Aunty Jenny, stop spoiling market for me jor #foreveryoung

@Vina, If the old dog desires new tricks, who are we to deny him of them thereof or stand in the way of destiny. Alalujah! :D/>

Hallelujahhhhhh

• Administrators

I agree with you on - The 'person' we think we are and desperately hold on to Isn't who we've always been. My point is that we are always 'becoming'. The person we are today is a creation of our past, our present, our beliefs, our interactions, the environment we've lived in etc... all these and much more have shaped and still shape the people we are today. It is then fair to say that you've played a passive role in becoming the person you are today.

We truly are always "becoming". Thank you for taking the time to share this with everyone on here!