Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×

New Nigerian Film Series Actually Portrays Gay Love in its Truest Form

FlyJ

• Administrators

Film-title.png

The film which is titled ‘with or without’ was recently published on Youtube. It shows how two men in a homosexual relationship deeply love each other and find it difficult to hide what they feel.

Just as common with most Nigerian films, it was expected that the storyline will be thwarted from showing a positive portrayal of homosexuality, but instead so far, it seems to be heading toward the opposite.

Even though the film is nothing near perfect to what is expected of a gay love film, it was in overall still very important that an attempt was made to put the reality of gay men on screen.

Also, if carefully observed, it would be noticeable that the characters portrayals of their roles in the film were mostly exaggerated and poorly acted, which of course could be blamed on a lack of proper research before the actors went on screen.

The film tells the story of David [Dave Ogbeni] and Henry [Chigozie Okafor] who appears as best friends but are both deeply in love with each other. David is a bisexual man who is currently in a relationship with Mabel [ibiwari Etuk]. But everything changes when Henry; David’s long time lover visits. David and Henry try to keep their relationship flourishing while on the other hand, David battles to maintain the status quo.

Only two episodes of the film have been released, watch them below.

Source

• Moderators

Hahaha. Na wa o for the house chores. I don't understand why she didn't have a job or business to tend to though *confused face* hahaha. I know that's the least of the elements I should be looking out for in a mini-series. Lol.

That said, not bad. I have only managed to watch the first episode. I honestly can relate to the guy's experience. I so can... in the sense that it used to take so much effort from me to do things for him and for her, I am practically volunteering myself :D -That was quite realistic I thought. I would watch the 2nd episode and be back here with my review.

I'm really impressed and glad about the fact that we are beginning to have more content tailored to the community. It's some progress.

The topic is such a click bait. Movie watched.

All I can say is if that is the truest form of portraying homosexual in Nigeria, I better stay untruthful.

The topic is such a click bait. Movie watched.

All I can say is if that is the truest form of portraying homosexual in Nigeria, I better stay untruthful.

I was planning to watch it, Is it really that bad?