Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

We judge because we do not Understand

mifled

I'm not one that likes to write. I prefer talking....Lol

But I came across something today and I had some interesting conversations in my head.

I discovered that the whole world has a common sickness or preferably weakness. One which science hasn't tested or engaged in rigorous research in the hope for a cure. What is that one ailment, you might ask. Its the habit of Judging what we do not understand.

Let me give you some seconds to sink that in; yes we judge things that we do not understand its dynamics or modus operandi or why its even in existence and why do certain people operate in that weirdness. I think another word we try to use to define it is WEIRD.

Well, its understandable that our natural instinct as humans is to react or frown upon things we do not understand. But in my little head, I'm wondering if there could be another reaction to it. Maybe we could stop judging and try to understand it and if its impossible to understand, maybe we should just tolerate it.

A lot of you might ask what gave birth to these rants. Let me be specific,bringing it back home to the LGBT community, many of us suffer mental, emotional and physical attacks from friends, family and loved ones when we make the bold step to come out. For some like myself, we can't even fathom the idea of coming out for fear of what reactions and judgments will beseeach us if we do.

Yes, we are judged because they do not understand why we would harbour emotional and sexual desires towards persons of the same sex as ourselves as opposed to the biblical,heterosexual relations.

But here in lies the issue, the LGBT community has taken it up to fight back against the discrimination but in so doing , we have also judged the heterosexual world because we do not understand why they cannot understand that we are people like them. There seems to be some sort of anger against our loved ones for not understanding and accepting us the way we are. There's anger against the society or the government for not understanding that what we do in our bedroom is our business.

Im asking myself at this moment, what should the LGBT community do in the circumstance. I might not have answers but my point is we shouldn't judge them so much for creating laws that try to put us in extinction cos the simple truth is they do not understand!!!.

#Mifledtuesdayrants

• Moderators

This is a very interesting read. Thanks for the food for thought. Typically, I refer to people who think differently from me as 'different' knowing full well that we each view the world from a lens unique to us. Our conditioning plays a huge role in the interplay between stimulus and action.

To the second part of the 'rant', truth is, I understand. I understand that they are barely acting out what they have been taught to be true and have allowed themselves internalise it so much that it has made them blinkered. They are unable to think out of the (mostly) religious box and would continue to remain in that 'darkness' if they refuse to think for themselves and seek at the very least to first understand. If they choose to love first rather than judge first, outcomes would indeed be very different. Love afterall is 'supposed' to be at the centre of all religions. Lol. Smh

• Moderators

Mifled, remember, evil persist because the righteous do nothing. 'Nothing' in this case could be substituted for 'tolerate'. A word I do not have a liking for. As an intelligent people and a forward thinking society, my take is that we must at all times strive to improve and to progress. Accepting ignorance is no form of progress in my opinion. Allowing opression is not in any way akin to freedom which is a basic human right.

Understanding thier ignorance and putting up with same would get us nowhere or at best set us back.

This post has provoked thought and I'm glad but it provokes much more than thought...

My conclusion? The last time someone uttered these words "father forgive them for they do not know what they do" was at his final hour as his breath was taken from him by the very men/women who did not understand. We as a people have come too far from that period to repeat the same mistakes and allow a reoccurence. Ignorance is a disease; people must be enlightened if we must make tremendous progress.

Maybe the main issue here should be, "How can we build understanding?". How do we build understanding between the hetero-world and the homo-world?