Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

kimi

Question

• Moderators

Cases of suicides and depression seem to be on the rise... a decade ago, one would have termed these alien to our culture.

As people and societies become more sophisticated, so do the sort of health challenges they face.

Questions:

Would you date someone who is struggling with a state of mental ill-health?

What would you recommend if you suddenly found out from a reliable source that a friend is suicidal?

(Just yesterday, I had a case on my hands. Luckily they are based in the UK so I got "The Samaritans" on their case). Do we have something similar in Nigeria...? Please feel free to share information about such bodies

4 answers to this question

1. I can't date someone struggling with a state of mental ill-health. No, I cannot. 

2. If the friend stays in a state like Lagos, I guess there are toll free numbers to call in case the suicidal thoughts come in. 

This year's world health day was in April and Lagos state government lamented rising cases of suicide in the state, saying that depression is the leading factor that triggers suicide. Which is true. 

The theme of this year’s celebration was “Depression: Let’s Talk.”

The state government came come up with these help lines – ***58820777 and 09030000741 – through which residents of the state could ask questions, make enquiries and sought help from professionals early enough to allow for appropriate intervention.

Guess there are also plans to commence treatment of depression and other mental disorders in the state’s 57 flagship Primary Healthcare Centres, PHCs.

That shit called depression is a time bomb waiting to explode into suicidal ideation. People just need to talk and talk about whatever is going on with them. 

1. Depends on the severity of the illness. I can tolerate someone mild ocd, but I can't deal with any mental illness which requires medication to control it.

2. Get to them immediately and have an intervention.