Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

My worries

Farida

A non religious feminist woman in an African patriarchal household must fight to exist as her true self or forever hold her peace. Choosing the former means i have to love my family from a distance. The latter makes me feel like a visible ghost and that I'm losing touch with who I really am, it's frustrating me. 

I fear not achieving my potential. A lot of people believe me to have the capacity to change the world. It scares me that I wont live up to it.

I'm quite the individual. I worry that I may not be able to sustain a marriage becos of not giving up part of myself. 

I fear that in the pursuit of my dreams, I may not have the opportunity to share as much time with my kids while we yet live. In otherwords, I'll need to strike a balance and I fear making the wrong choice that destroys this balance. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Fear. Fear. Fear... don't give it too much importance. Like Nike, "Just do it". 

... and remember these words...

A head full of fears has no space for dreams - Anonymous 

• Like 1

@Farida...don't be too careful trying to lead a gud life

That u even forget to live the life itself.

There is no format / template to life...rather our biggest problem is that mental picture in our heads of "how it's meant to be ".

Babe...forget about "how it's meant to be"....live it how best u can starting from This minute. 

#nuffsaid

• Administrators

@Farida Thought provoking writeup. I am sure many have the same worries. It's tough to be different and maintain a close relationship with your family. It is only possible if your family accepts you. In my case, I know that living as a gay woman and maintaining a close relationship with my family is almost impossible without acceptance. 

However, like @kimi said, just do it. While making choices, believe in your potential. Fight your fears! If at all you make the wrong choice, at least you tried. Either way, you lose nothing. Don't let fear stop you from changing the world. 

I leave you with Dale Carnegie's -Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy. Do not deny the world of your quality @Farida

On 8/23/2017 at 6:48 PM, FlyJ said:

@Farida Thought provoking writeup. I am sure many have the same worries. It's tough to be different and maintain a close relationship with your family. It is only possible if your family accepts you. In my case, I know that living as a gay woman and maintaining a close relationship with my family is almost impossible without acceptance. 

However, like @kimi said, just do it. While making choices, believe in your potential. Fight your fears! If at all you make the wrong choice, at least you tried. Either way, you lose nothing. Don't let fear stop you from changing the world. 

I leave you with Dale Carnegie's -Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy. Do not deny the world of your quality @Farida

I know right. Beautiful quote IFWU✊🏿✊🏿