Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

How Open-Minded Are You? (I)

kimi

Question

• Moderators

What matters to you... 

With respect to religion i.e. Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Universalism, Satanism or even Atheism etc...

Would you date someone who is of a different belief system than yourself?

What is an absolute no no if any?

• Like 1

23 answers to this question

Belief belief belief! Why does it even matter in this modern world. Not like most of these beliefs are progressive. Most of them keep dragging us to stone age, yet we keep revering those beliefs that has refuse to evolve and imprisons us in the past. I think people should roll with each other because they share one thing in common which is Humanity.  

• Like 1

Yes i have / still would.

I had once being  involved  with a staunch  committed atheist which is synonymous to " devil incarnate " in this part of the world,  and fortunately twas one of my very best relationship I ever had,  in spite of the fact she was "irreligious " and a  "stringent non believer" of  any supreme being what so ever, she possessed the most beautiful heart I had ever came across with.

My point?  basically  for me  it's about  the humanness of the said person  I'm  involved with,  and  nothing to do with the  religion they identify with or do  not identify themselves  with..  some persons  can be "overly religious" per se, and yet still make a relationship so daunting and frustrating to cope with.  Be it a sun worshipper, or a pastafarian or not, matters less to me.

I really don't mind being with anyone with whatever belief just don't be an extremist or overly into such belief. We're human first before any belief. Those beliefs are just bunch of Perspectives, opinions, ideas human invented to explain life and the mystery that comes with it. So once you understand that human trumped whatever ideology/belief/religion, we're good. 

There is this girl I was having mad crush on. She attends white garment church (cele abi?). I will follow her occassionally to her church not minding all the stress of climbing the hill barefooted and all the energy consuming service. It makes her happy a lot because she thought I'm a Muslim. It was really torturing o! But sweet torture hahah. The things we do for love sha.

Well....For me,  

Who TALKS TO ME THE MOST is important....what INFORMS HER BELIEFS AND MENTAL PRODUCTIVITY of which I am a huge beneficiary  is also very important. For God's sake and for my mental health  - pls WE shall  be Christians and face one God,

And if we not...No plisss😞

• Moderators

If someone asked me this question this time last year, I would have had a completely different answeŕ. These days, I am very open-minded as I allow the Universe a free-hand. I am fine as long as there is a belief in the source of all life -whatever she chooses. On further thought, I asked myself, "what if she stopped believing altogether?" Truth is, I will be fine with that too... and I would expect that she doesn't impose hers on me just as I wouldn't mine on her. 

We are all on a journey. life and its experiences shape our belief system. 

Truth is, this post made me do some research into satanism. Lol. It isn't as terrifying as I would have imagined. It is simply a form of Atheism just that they belief in the worship of self. I found it rather interesting. Lol. 

• Moderators
Just now, Gimbiyya said:

Whoa satanism a form of atheism? Thought atheism is the lack of belief in God/gods 

Hahaha. Yeah. You are correct. Satanist do not believe in any type of god(s) as they view them to be all man-made etc... they simply believe in absolute freedom and in allowing the self be fully expressed. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kimi said:

Hahaha. Yeah. You are correct. Satanist do not believe in any type of god(s) as they view them to be all man-made etc... they simply believe in absolute freedom and in allowing the self be fully expressed. 

Okay now I get. Lol

4 hours ago, kimi said:

If someone asked me this question this time last year, I would have had a completely different answeŕ. These days, I am very open-minded as I allow the Universe a free-hand. I am fine as long as there is a belief in the source of all life -whatever she chooses. On further thought, I asked myself, "what if she stopped believing altogether?" Truth is, I will be fine with that too... and I would expect that she doesn't impose hers on me just as I wouldn't mine on her. 

We are all on a journey. life and its experiences shape our belief system. 

Truth is, this post made me do some research into satanism. Lol. It isn't as terrifying as I would have imagined. It is simply a form of Atheism just that they belief in the worship of self. I found it rather interesting. Lol. 

So my question to u....can 2 peepol work together with 2 totally different views to life?

My dear....the term RELATIONSHIP is quite  deep, its not a ride u can afford to hitch with just sumone who doesnt have same spiritual inclination as you do. Spirituality is also deep....too deep u cant afford to play middle ground , they say life is spiritual...whether we agree or nay, thats  the founded Truth.

At sum point in your relationship, you would need to work with synchronized beliefs ...not you believing in sumthing else while she believes sumthing totally different.

At that point...u would understand the need for concordance in your beliefs.

**my opinion**

Good afternoon kimi.

53 minutes ago, Jenny1403 said:

So my question to u....can 2 peepol work together with 2 totally different views to life?

My dear....the term RELATIONSHIP is quite  deep, its not a ride u can afford to hitch with just sumone who doesnt have same spiritual inclination as you do. Spirituality is also deep....too deep u cant afford to play middle ground , they say life is spiritual...whether we agree or nay, thats  the founded Truth.

At sum point in your relationship, you would need to work with synchronized beliefs ...not you believing in sumthing else while she believes sumthing totally different.

At that point...u would understand the need for concordance in your beliefs.

**my opinion**

Good afternoon kimi.

And this is why I lOVE Jenny. 

100%%%

• Moderators

Hahaha. Aunty Jenny... well said.

The question you ought to ask me is "what is your belief system?"

When you fully understand it is only when you can really understand why I can live perfectly and happily with someone who as much as believes that there is a source to all life. 

I have gone way past living in a box or being the proverbial 'sheep' so to speak... 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gimbiyya said:

Belief belief belief! Why does it even matter in this modern world. Not like most of these beliefs are progressive. Most of them keep dragging us to stone age, yet we keep revering those beliefs that has refuse to evolve and imprisons us in the past. I think people should roll with each other because they share one thing in common which is Humanity.  

Well said Gimbs. Part of being human is the fact that we possibly can never agree on everything. Lol. Never. Religion has and will always remain a controversial subject. 

As always, to each their own... 

2 hours ago, Hawken said:

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord.

My dear we shall serve the Lord o...life is too short  noni

• Administrators
On 9/5/2017 at 10:32 PM, Gimbiyya said:

Well said @Gimbiyya. Religion to me is a form of practice that gives peace and gives humans the ability to think. I don’t believe religion should restrict anyone.

Back to the question – I would date someone who is of a different belief system. In my opinion, religion doesn’t define; personality defines.

• Like 2

Yes i can be with a religious person provided they don't try to drag me into their guilt of homosexuality. I hold no apologies for the way i am and constantly religious people of the community are apologetics. I was 'with' this girl, after having a fine ass time she became sober, teared up about how she had just sinned and was mad that i wasn't all cuddly trying to comfort her. I was irked. My point: If she was like me that drama would not have surfaced. We'd have prolly blasphemed instead and cooled it off with a bottle of wine. well, I''m working on having more homophilic relationships as it makes communication and relationship formation easier and thus; long lasting. 

The only Religion I can tolerate apart from christianity is Buddhism. Reason being that I love their spiritual teachings..  And Islam(not the fanatics) As long as you can go to church with me without squirming in your seat during the church service, as long as you are a good person and pure hearted, then we good. 

I Honestly don't even like Sunday Sunday church people. They always prove to me time and time again, that church going doesn't make anyone good or kind or changes anything about their nature. I'd rather be with someone who can never think of any evil, than be with an evil person who goes to church every Sunday. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 1:49 AM, Txunamy said:

The only Religion I can tolerate apart from christianity is Buddhism. Reason being that I love their spiritual teachings..  And Islam(not the fanatics) As long as you can go to church with me without squirming in your seat during the church service, as long as you are a good person and pure hearted, then we good. 

I Honestly don't even like Sunday Sunday church people. They always prove to me time and time again, that church going doesn't make anyone good or kind or changes anything about their nature. I'd rather be with someone who can never think of any evil, than be with an evil person who goes to church every Sunday. 

😘