Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Man had his ex-wife arrested for alleged lesbian affair

FlyJ

• Administrators

Rita who spoke to NoString said that she was arrested after her ex-husband found her in bed with a female friend and reported her to the police. The police then invaded her house, arrested her and jailed her.

The incident reportedly happened a few weeks ago at the victim’s house in Lagos.

Rita told NoString that she had divorced her husband a few years ago after the death of her father, who had pressured her to get married.

“I knew I was a lesbian, but my father pressured me into getting married,” she said. “I did not have the energy to fight him by refusing, so I obliged. But when he died, I felt that there was no need for me to continue with the marriage since I did not love the man I was married to.”

Rita said that her ex-husband, Afolabi (not his real name), was shocked and could not understand why she wanted a divorce.  He tried to fight it but lost. The marriage was officially dissolved in court.

“After the divorce, I moved away from him and got my own apartment. He swore to deal with me, and never took it well. He kept on sending me threatening text messages and kept on stalking me. I reported him to his family, but nothing changed,” Rita said.

On the day of the incident, Rita said that one of her relatives, a young boy who lives with her, left the front door unlocked. Then Afolabi barged into the house, walked straight to the bedroom, and found her and her girlfriend undressed, lying on the bed. Rita stated:

“He came right into my bedroom and started shouting and taking pictures. We were not doing anything. We were just gisting [chatting]. My girlfriend had just a towel on her. I quickly asked her to get up and leave. He came outside and shouted that he now had evidence to ruin me. The neighbors gathered to watch what was going on.

“He left a few minutes later and then came back with the police, who arrested me and took me to the station. At the station, I was abused by the police officers. Then they locked me in a room along with other girls. I slept on the cold tiled floor for four days. It was a weekend and they said that I could not get bail on weekends.”

Rita said that she was eventually released after paying police what to her was a huge sum.

“I paid N62,000 [about $172] before I was bailed out. I have been asked to come back to the station at a set date to deal with the matter. I am so afraid right now and I cannot take up the case against my ex-husband.  because He is a crazy person and well-connected too. He knows where I live and where I work. I do not know what he might do to me. He said that he can even kill me and nothing will happen to him in Nigeria.”

Source

• Like 1

• Moderators

*sighs*

When laws are misunderstood because people choose to be blinded by bias, abuse is imminent. I hope more will be done by people who have published this news. Sighs

Sighs#

Can lez girls stop getting married to men  out of pressure for a moment?

Some men are crazy. He can get any other woman in a minute. Why ruin this one? Oh I know. It has nothing to do with love but his ego. How dare a woman walk out of his marriage. What insolence!

WHERE, TIERS Biko help us.

Damn! This is sad. This is what happens in a lawless country, i call Nigeria a lawless country because truly, it is a lawless country. 

May we not fall into the hands of the wrong and crazy people, be it husband, wife or girlfriend. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Teewhy said:

May we not fall into the hands of the wrong and crazy people, be it husband, wife or girlfriend. 

Amin

1 hour ago, vina said:

Sighs#

For now, as it is in this useless country, this isn't possible. Lesbian girls will continue to get married to men out of pressure only if they can find their way outta this dungeon called Nigeria. 

I don even vex, make I go find visa. Where is bae??

• Moderators
1 hour ago, vina said:

Sadly, this is easier said than done. It takes some guts. It isn't for everyone... truth is even if the law permitted, some will still not be true to themselves. Shame, internal homophobia and a myriad other reasons would still see people entering into marriages they are unfit for. 

The only thing that bothers me is the fraud element of it. It's okay if you want to mess up your life but don't drag another into that mess. Totally unfair. We create monsters in doing that.  Such as is portrayed in the story above 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There is a reason why I dislike societal constructs, it is  always  about what the majority are, believe is Right and proceed to enforce it on everyone else.

It is the greatest form of bully, and oppression, where those  who are different are considered bad or wrong, not because  that can be proven, or logical, but  simply because the other majority feels they are right, because they have the number. This is  just sad.

I do hope she has a decent non discriminatory lawyer, pictures of two ladies on the bed is not a crime. The SSMPA law is if you have proof that i was engaged in the act sexually. 

It definitely is true 'my people perish due to lack of wisdom' :( - how on earth was she locked up for 4days because of the BS of its weekend. 

Unfortunately she might have to move to enable her live a decent live if he is a continuous threat and as connected as she claims cos threat to life is concerning especially in Nigeria - and rather sad that he is confident that he can have her murdered and get away with it. 

Last truth is yes societal expectations and pressures will still make homosexual individuals conform unhappily to the expected norm of a family structure - MAN+WOMAN = BABY & Family. it will continue for quite a while till the individuals actually start to fight for their own future. You do not have to be gay to remain a unmarried or a single parent.

• Like 1