Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Pamela Adie - Nobody owes me anything

FlyJ

• Administrators

59ddecce52d25.JPG

Food for thought - 

"After I came out of the closet, I learned many lessons about life. I’ll share two," She writes

The first thing I learned is that I’m on my own.

It took me a while to realize this because I kept expecting and waiting on family and friends to show support, give approval, and accept me.

Very few did.

The others remained silent. And they’re still silent till today because neither has bothered to break the silence.

The second lesson is that nobody owes me anything.

There’s a tendency to feel entitled to peoples love,  acceptance, and financial resources based on their supposed role in our lives...mother, father, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, cousin, niece, bestie, friend, etc. 

Nothing could be more false.

You’re not entitled to anything.

You want something, work hard for it.

Bear the consequences.

The sooner I started to feel less entitled, the happier I became. I engaged with those that wanted to engage, laughed with those that wanted to laugh.

If I was in need, I asked. If I got, I appreciated."Nobody owes me anything" - Nigerian lesbian and LGBT rights activist, Pamela Adie shares lessons she learned after coming out of the closetIf I didn’t, no hard feelings. Life continued. That’s how I live my life even now and I’m getting better at it.

So, instead of feeling like people owe you anything, work hard on your own and be grateful for life helpers you meet along the way.

Good morning.

Source

• Like 1

Hard truth. But why do I owe everyone everything if no one owes me nothing? Why should I conform to their expectations and displease myself for everyone?

8 minutes ago, kimi said:

You're my person now. FOC for you sef :597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1:

You too much jare. Lemme goan call this my stewpid tailor that can frustrate somebody.