Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

45 percent of LGBTQs say they are not “comfortable” holding hands with partner in public

FlyJ

• Administrators

04f93851e943faba56c196c6f844da69.jpg

Given the growing acceptance of LGBTQ people, some might question the continued relevance of National Coming Out Day. But a new survey conducted by Queerty’s sister site, LGBTQ Nation in conjunction with the polling firm SurveyMonkey, show’s strong support for the celebration of the annual equality awareness raising day.

And it’s easy to see why: Only 40% of respondents said they feel comfortable holding hands with their significant other in public, and 45% said they feel as though they are treated differently because of their sexuality or gender identity since Trump took office.

Even worse, 78% reported that their employer was not doing enough to support their LGBTQ employees.

Clearly, the road to freedom is long.

Related: 15 celebrities who came out in 2017 (so far)

Of the nearly 600 people who participated in the survey, 86% said they were familiar with National Coming Out Day, and 80% said they find “coming out” publicly as LGBTQ necessary.

The survey also unearthed three main reasons people chose to come out:

• 74% said they just wanted to be open
  • 13% said they were encouraged by family and friends
  • 9% said they did so after being outed

And they are coming out in droves. While 7% of respondents said they still have “no plans” to come out to anyone, the vast majority are coming out to friends (86%), family (75%), people you date (64%), coworkers (62%) and their boss (47%).

Despite how far we have to go toward full social and legal equality, in general respondents reported feeling optimistic about the future, despite the political setbacks under President Trump. 87% say that in 10 years, LGBTQ people will be more fully accepted, and almost nobody thinks “outing” someone is acceptable (4%).

This survey of nearly 600 respondents of the LGBTQ community was sourced by a partnership between LGBTQ Nation’s online platforms and the SurveyMonkey Audience panel.

Source

• Like 1

I hold my partner's hands in public, why won't I want to hold hands? Cos of stares? Sisters hold hands, friends hold hands, so why feel shy cos its sexual? If you don't tell, who knows?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ivyy said:

I hold my partner's hands in public, why won't I want to hold hands? Cos of stares? Sisters hold hands, friends hold hands, so why feel shy cos its sexual? If you don't tell, who knows?

Exactly what bae tells me. Me, I don't hold hands that much o

12 hours ago, Ivyy said:

Exactly....

37 minutes ago, Matty said:

If you don't tell, who knows?

Really. Can't two sisters hold hands lol there's a difference tho. If you see the way my sisters hold my hand eh especially when crossing the road with me, chai I've got mean sisters aswear. 

Holding hands with bae is definataly gonna look obvious. When you're in love, you can't hide those feelings. But then who cares! Let them stare. 

1 hour ago, Gimbiyya said:

Really. Can't two sisters hold hands lol there's a difference tho. If you see the way my sisters hold my hand eh especially when crossing the road with me, chai I've got mean sisters aswear. 

Holding hands with bae is definataly gonna look obvious. When you're in love, you can't hide those feelings. But then who cares! Let them stare. 

Exactly

No harm in showing lil affection in d public...

Show or not, peeps will stare

3 hours ago, Gimbiyya said:

Truth is between my sisters and I, we don't show physical attention.your sisters ain't mean..Lol.they are being sisters.but I have seen siblings that show that much affection, so its very doable..:597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kimi said:

Yay. Team #private and #shy lool 

*coughs.. I don't think you are shy.. actually if you really love your bae you wouldn't mind holding her hands.. I've had bae's I didn't even feel comfortable holding hands with but the special bae's I'll do anything for :597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1:

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, sumtnu4got said:

*coughs.. I don't think you are shy.. actually if you really love your bae you wouldn't mind holding her hands.. I've had bae's I didn't even feel comfortable holding hands with but the special bae's I'll do anything for :597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1:

You don't say..😋

Naah... i've been head over heels women but still couldn't. For some reason, I always fear I am easy to figure out. I care too much what people think sadly lol 🙄

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Ivyy said:

Kimi..and I wouldn't have pegged you for the shy type:597f839311844_tw_grin1:

Hahahahaha. I'm pretty shy 20% of the time. Some enjoy teasing me to get me that way lol. 

47 minutes ago, kimi said:

Naah... i've been head over heels women but still couldn't. For some reason, I always fear I am easy to figure out. I care too much what people think sadly lol 🙄

Very sad indeed.. you better change your life ;)

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, sumtnu4got said:

Very sad indeed.. you better change your life ;)

Hahahaha. Yeye person. I have as recently as 2minutes ago been bestowed with the title "Archbishop of NL". You better show some respect or you shall be visited at night😈

PS -Hello all, contact me for you weddings, I will gladly officiate 😊

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2017 at 11:48 PM, Ivyy said:

Gbam!!

• 11 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, Txunamy said:

Really? In Nigeria or somewhere else?

10 hours ago, Michelle said:

Really? In Nigeria or somewhere else?

In Nigeria.

i would have you know that before the law against gays was passed here, some gays have been open about their sexuality. I know of one homosexual pastor with a church in lagos who was always being bashed by homophobics, but that didn't deter him.

Nigerians and hypocripsy are like bread and butter. The so called law makers that passed the bill are closeted gays.

What could possibly go wrong with holding hands?

Can a policeman walk up to me and ask 'why are you holding hands'? Lmao!

I cannot do PDA here for sure, but holding hands? Thats easy and Nobody cares really.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, kimi said:

You don't say..😋

If you can't hold my hand in public then you can't hold it in private either. You would lose that privilege 🙄

54 minutes ago, Txunamy said:

In Nigeria.

i would have you know that before the law against gays was passed here, some gays have been open about their sexuality. I know of one homosexual pastor with a church in lagos who was always being bashed by homophobics, but that didn't deter him.

Nigerians and hypocripsy are like bread and butter. The so called law makers that passed the bill are closeted gays.

What could possibly go wrong with holding hands?

Can a policeman walk up to me and ask 'why are you holding hands'? Lmao!

I cannot do PDA here for sure, but holding hands? Thats easy and Nobody cares really.

👍🏼❤️