Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Kevin Spacey 'Fired' from ‘House of Cards'

Calllaris

November 4, 2017
6465235006c7c8e290bfc6171ab731e9.cf.webp

“House of Cards” star Kevin Spacey has been suspended from the Netflix drama amid mounting claims of sexual assault.

Producer Media Rights Capital took the action of suspending Spacey Friday evening. A source close to the production tells Variety that the move is legally necessary first step toward Spacey’s eventual termination.

Netflix, meanwhile, said Friday that it would not move forward with any version of “House of Cards” that includes Spacey — and that it would cancel the Gore Vidal biopic, “Gore,” which was set to star the two-time Oscar-winning actor.

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey,” a spokesman for Netflix said in a statement. “We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show.”

“While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of ‘House of Cards,’ he has been suspended, effective immediately,” MRC said in a statement. “MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”

Production on the sixth season of “House of Cards” was suspended Tuesday following a Buzzfeed report that accused Spacey of assaulting actor Anthony Rapp in 1986 when the “Star Trek: Discovery” actor was 14 years old.

On Thursday, Spacey was dropped by CAA and his longtime publicist, Staci Wolfe. On Friday, Scotland Yard opened an investigation into the veteran actor in response to an allegation that he sexually assaulted a male thesp in London.

As Variety exclusively reported, Netflix is mulling a “House of Cards” spinoff in an attempt to save its flagship series.

Media Rights Capitol, producer of the series, said it would “continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”

Spacey, who is also an  executive producer on “House of Cards,” is currently seeking “self-evaluation and treatment” as claims of sexual misconduct pile up.

His portrayal of Francis Underwood, a political assassin-of-sorts on “House of Cards,” earned him five Emmy nominations for Best Actor and a Golden Globes win.

Spacey has won two Academy Awards – in 1996 for best supporting actor in “The Usual Suspects” and again in 2000 for best actor in “American Beauty.”

Courtesy: yahoonews

As more men continue to hit Spacey with accusations of sexual misconduct.

pandoras box things

•  
  •  
  • files-entertainment-us-television-houseo

More men have spoken out against Kevin Spacey.

The claims follow allegations that Spacey made a sexual advances towards a child actor in 1986.

On Sunday, actor Anthony Rapp said that in 1986, a 26-year-old Spacey invited him to a party at his New York apartment and climbed on top of the child, “trying to get with me sexually.” In an interview with BuzzFeed, Rapp, now 46, said he managed to flee before the encounter progressed any further.

In response, Spacey wrote on Twitter that he didn’t remember the incident, but apologised for “what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour.” The Baby Driver actor added that he was “sorry for the feelings he [Rapp] describes having carried with him all these years,” before saying: “I choose now to live as a gay man.”

Other statements have followed from other men alleging the House of Cards actor assaulted them.

Filmmaker Tony Montana alleges Spacey drunkenly “groped” his groin at a Los Angeles bar in 2003.

Montana told Radaronline: “I went up to order a drink and Kevin came up to me and put his arm around me. He was telling me to come with him, to leave the bar. He put his hand on my crotch forcefully and grabbed my whole package.”

Montana said Spacey then told him: “This designates ownership.”

montana.jpg?resize=500%2C333

Tony Montana

The filmmaker, who was in his 30s, had to physically get Spacey off him and had PTSD for six months after the incident, he said.

He adds: “It was an emasculating thing for someone to do to me. Whenever I went to the bar I would see if he was there or have my back against the wall.”

Mexican actor Roberto Cavazos has also alleged that Spacey approached him in “unpleasant encounters” which he said he would have termed “harassment” if he were a woman.

Cavazos was at London’s Old Vic Theatre at the same time as Spacey, who was the venue’s artistic director for a decade.

He said the American Beauty actor was commonly found at the theatre bar, “squeezing whoever caught his attention.”

21ee699b85f12c68bda2eb1cd9e308c5.jpg?res

Roberto Cavazos

Writing on Facebook in Spanish,Cavazos said: “There are many of us who have a ‘Kevin Spacey story’. It seems that it only took a male under 30 to make Mr. Spacey feel free to touch us. It was so common that it even became a local joke (in very bad taste).”

He added: “I myself had a couple of unpleasant encounters with Spacey that were on the edge of being called harassment. Moreover, had I been a woman, I probably would not have hesitated to identify it as such, but I suppose that the lack of a more specifically direct or aggressive action led me to justify the incident as ‘one of those things’.”

Cavazos said he was far from alone in accusing Spacey at the time.

“I do not remember how many people told me the same story: Spacey invited them to meet him to ‘talk about their careers.’ When they arrived at the theater, the gentleman had prepared a picnic with champagne on the stage, beautifully lit.

“Each story varied in how far the picnic went, but the technique was the same. More common was that he was in the bar of his theatre, squeezing whoever caught his attention.

“That’s how it happened to me the second time. I never left, but I know of some who were afraid to put a stop to it.”

A West Sussex barman, Daniel Beal, also claims Spacey showed him his penis in public when he was 19, working at Goodwood Park Hotel in 2010, before giving him his £5,000 watch to buy his silence.

“He said: ‘It’s big, isn’t it?’ He leaned over and tried to pull my hand towards it,” Beal told The Sun.

He then alleges Spacey insisted Beal swap his £20 Casio watch for Spacey’s expensive IWC Portofino watch. Beal claims Spacey offered him the £5,000 ($6,600, €5,700) watch ‘to keep him quiet.’

Pictures.jpg?resize=650%2C458

Daniel Beal (left pic, in 2010)

After this incident, Beal claimed the actor would ‘touch his hand’ each time he served him a drink. He also says Spacey once invited him to ‘smoke weed’ in his hotel room.

Beal says, “Looking back, he was trying to manipulate me as soon as he walked into that bar.”

The barman claims he sold the watch before Spacey’s aide called and asked for it to be returned. The actor’s management reportedly complained to the 19-year-old’s employer.

Beal continued: “Spacey or his people had obviously complained I had somehow acted inappropriately.”

He described Spacey as “just like his character in House Of Cards — seedy and a bit weird.”

Spacey’s latest alleged victim told his story to the BBC’s Victoria Derbyshire.

Refusing to reveal his name, he said he was left traumatised after waking to find Spacey lying on him, dressed only in his underwear, with his arms wrapped around him.

A year after meeting the star in 1984 – when he was 16 and Spacey was around 25 – Spacey invited him to spend a weekend at his home in New York City. He recalled how a “charming and brotherly” Spacey had showed him around the city and introduced him to famous friends during their weekend together.

But on the first evening, Spacey became affectionate “in a way I certainly wasn’t interested in”, he said. The star put his hand on John’s thigh, an arm around his shoulder and rubbed his arm, he alleged.

Later that night, he said Spacey asked him to share his bed, which he declined. Then he heard Spacey “sobbing from his bed,” which he said he thought was attention-seeking behaviour from the actor.

The next morning, he said he woke with Spacey’s head on his stomach and the actor’s arms wrapped around him. “He was in his underwear, I was fully clothed. I supposed it was some sort of New York theatre actor ‘good morning’.”

That night, Spacey started being ‘affectionate’ again, telling him that he felt “misunderstood,” cuaisng the young man to start crying.

“I burst into tears because I couldn’t articulate anymore what was happening to me. I was scared,” he said. “It seems he was grooming me. For me, I never let on that that’s what I was interested in. I never discussed it, nor did I want it. I was uncomfortable at best, traumatised at worst. He was either very stupid or predatory – or maybe a little of both.”

He said neither of them drunk alcohol that weekend, adding that he didn’t tell his parents or any authorities because he thought Spacey’s approaches may have been “permissible”.

Consequent to this storm of allegations, the International TV Academy has withdrawn an honour it was due to give Spacey. The actor was due to be handed the 2017 International Emmy Founders Award on November 20, at a glamorous event in New York.

Also, Netflix announced that House of Cards would be ending after its sixth season. But then, the streaming network followed that announcement up with another one that said it was suspending indefinitely the production on the show’s sixth season.House-of-Cards-650x366.jpeg?resize=650%2

“MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” the streaming service and producer Media Rights Capital said in a statement.

Netflix and MRC executives have reportedly traveled to the House of Cards set in Baltimore this week to meet with cast and crew and “to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported.”

It remains unclear what Netflix will do with the property. Some reports indicate the streaming service is interested in developing a spinoff without Spacey’s central character.

I don't even feel bad for the men he groped. All men should be groped at least once in their life by someone they don't want so they know what it feels like.

Hollywood and its politics! They knew this has been going but kept quite why now though am not supporting Kevin. Anyway as for Netflix and "house of cards" kukuma end the show cos there is no "house of cards" without Kevin spacey end of story