Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Foods to Avoid on First Dates

FlyJ

• Administrators

FIRST dates are all about people getting to know each other. People are nervous enough and are already trying to put their best foot forward to either secure a second date or decide what the next step would be without having to worry about a food- related incident. It’s not a matter of forming or not being authentic but it’s the first date and the food you know how to eat very well could end up embarrassing you( even simple common ice cream/ pop corn). All our finesse and efforts could be wasted if we tried any of these meals:
A) Spaghetti :
No matter how appetizing the spaghetti is, slurping and chewing while trying to get to know each other is a no-no. It’s either you trying to cut the spaghetti strands into smaller pieces or attempting to suck on the spaghetti.

B)Eba and Soup:
This is the first date we are talking about. Leafy leafs could get stuck in your teeth while okra/ ogbonno needs no explanation, the drawing nature of the soup explains it all.

C)Beans:
The more you eat, the more you whoops. Be classy and not gassy- just forget the beans. Apart from beans causing you to fart, you’d be full quickly and ruin your plans for dessert if you made any.

D)Salads:
Salads take long to chew and it getting between your teeth is never a good look.

E)Anything with Onions:
Onion breath is terrible, it could end the date.

F)Spicy Foods: If you can handle the heat, good for you but don’t risk it. Running nose and sweating is not a good look. No one is forcing you to appear macho by eating spicy meals.

G)Vanilla Ice-cream/ Junk: 
Except you want to appear childish don't take junk meal or the vanilla flavour of ice-cream

H)Bad table manners:
Bad table manners should obviously be avoided at all costs. DO NOT chew with your mouth open and speak with a mouthful of food. Basic manners and a little common sense would go a long way.

Source

• Like 1

I would really like to try this dating thing in my next relationship.

I would plan about 10 dates before anything bedmatic will happen.

Maybe that's the magic, it could work out this time.

Thanks Flyj, this has been noted.

Nice one fly j..

One time I went out with a date and I ordered grilled chicken, and the chicken I was served was too peppery. My nose was runny, and I had to blow into the serviette.

Very gross even for me. I had to abandon the chicken. 

I know better than to touch any peppery food when on a date. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damiee said:

Also, don't have chicken wings or ribs on a first date lol. Especially ribs, too messy. 

Fried Chicken wings are perfect..except you are talking about buffalo wings.. 

Good thing I dont like ribs then, too much brown sugar.. :597f824b9bcf2_tw_blush1:

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 9:31 PM, Damiee said:

Also, don't have chicken wings or ribs on a first date lol. Especially ribs, too messy. 

Seafood.... Much easier..... 

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2017 at 11:54 AM, FlyJ said:

A) Spaghetti :
No matter how appetizing the spaghetti is, slurping and chewing while trying to get to know each other is a no-no. It’s either you trying to cut the spaghetti strands into smaller pieces or attempting to suck on the spaghetti.

@Txunamy we should have this Lady and the Tramp style 😀

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 11:54 AM, FlyJ said:

F)Spicy Foods: If you can handle the heat, good for you but don’t risk it. Running nose and sweating is not a good look. No one is forcing you to appear macho by eating spicy meals.

We did this on the first night together at a Chinese restaurant  😀 I thought I was getting the usual mild chili garlic sauce that all asian restaurants provide here, but of course it had to be something different in naijaland 😂 I will bring my own hot sauce to Nigeria from now on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Txunamy said:

But you can't. You'd be too scared 😀

In public our lips can't meet, but in private at your place 😜

Your place would be best because I prefer meatballs a certain way...lean ground beef with bell pepper, onion, and Italian bread crumbs. I take the easy route and just use Rao's pasta sauce because it requires nothing extra...I will bring some.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

In public our lips can't meet, but in private at your place 😜

Your place would be best because I prefer meatballs a certain way...lean ground beef with bell pepper, onion, and Italian bread crumbs. I take the easy route and just use Rao's pasta sauce because it requires nothing extra...I will bring some.

Ehhh.. Have it your way.. My pleasure 😁

• Like 1

I will avoid ogbono (ew), okro and beans that's for sure.

Every other thing will go down. In fact the messier the food, the better. So she can see I like eating messy things 😊

16 hours ago, Mimy said:

All these wahala 😂. Someone that was so nervous meeting me end up tormenting my life with mess just few days afterwards. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, Mimy said:

All these wahala 😂. Someone that was so nervous meeting me end up tormenting my life with mess just few days afterwards. 

My girlfriend would relate so hard to this 🤣

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 7:24 AM, Mimy said:

🤣 O lawwwd 🤦🏾‍♀️

I love this list but I generally can’t eat most things when I’m out...I can’t stand making a mess plus I’m such a foodie that I don’t want to reason wasting any delicious food 🥘 I would be so pained ehn

Certain things need to be eaten with a passion 🍗🍖🥓 hands, no wig and best sitting on the floor sef 😂 

• Haha 2