Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

The Trade-Off

kimi

• Moderators

So yesterday, on my way home, I stopped to buy some fruits. I sighted a man selling oranges out of a wheelbarrow so I approached him and asked how much his oranges were? He takes a look at me, took a few seconds (which I thought was longer than usual) and then responded saying "N40 one"

I also took a look at him, scrutinized his face and made a counter offer. Not 3 for N100? Well... he said no. Lol.

I decided to go buy other fruits, giving him the illusion that I wasn't buying -some strategy 🙄.

However, as I turned to walk away was when he panicked and called me back. Insisting that I could take it at my price.

I took a good look at him and I felt bad. I felt very bad. I knew he couldn't be making so much off his oranges. I knew I buy from shops were I never negotiate. I knew I tip (the fine art of literally dashing money away) for sums way higher than what he had asked for. So I sought to convince myself: "I was actually going to buy them on my way back regardless". I really was considering doing that as he was the only one selling oranges. So I bought other fruits elsewhere leaving him to package mine for collection on my way out.

As I approached him, I planned to pay his original asking price in disguise of buying one more and asking him to keep the change.

But no... he insisted I buy for the price I had bought the others for. I wanted to tip him but I didn't know how to slot that in. Sighs... so I left; without giving him an extra.

Perhaps he had increased his mark-up by a few percentages... 

Perhaps I was only trying not to be cheated and do what is expected when at the open market...

Perhaps we had both felt bad because I could see what I think was guilt on his face.

Just perhaps. *Sighs*

13 hours ago, kimi said:

So yesterday, on my way home, I stopped to buy some fruits. I sighted a man selling oranges out of a wheelbarrow so I approached him and asked how much his oranges were? He takes a look at me, took a few seconds (which I thought was longer than usual) and then responded saying "N40 one"

I also took a look at him, scrutinized his face and made a counter offer. Not 3 for N100? Well... he said no. Lol.

I decided to go buy other fruits, giving him the illusion that I wasn't buying -some strategy 🙄.

However, as I turned to walk away was when he panicked and called me back. Insisting that I could take it at my price.

I took a good look at him and I felt bad. I felt very bad. I knew he couldn't be making so much off his oranges. I knew I buy from shops were I never negotiate. I knew I tip (the fine art of literally dashing money away) for sums way higher than what he had asked for. So I sought to convince myself: "I was actually going to buy them on my way back regardless". I really was considering doing that as he was the only one selling oranges. So I bought other fruits elsewhere leaving him to package mine for collection on my way out.

As I approached him, I planned to pay his original asking price in disguise of buying one more and asking him to keep the change.

But no... he insisted I buy for the price I had bought the others for. I wanted to tip him but I didn't know how to slot that in. Sighs... so I left; without giving him an extra.

Perhaps he had increased his mark-up by a few percentages... 

Perhaps I was only trying not to be cheated and do what is expected when at the open market...

Perhaps we had both felt bad because I could see what I think was guilt on his face.

Just perhaps. *Sighs*

Nice to see that both of you were considerate.. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Update on this story:

I bought from him again yesterday. This time, he greets me so excitedly with: "Customer!!" Lol. I smiled feeling very important.

So of course I say give me 3 for N100. To which he said "no customer, take 4 N100"

Awwwh.... 

The End lol