Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

‘I fight every day to look more feminine’

FlyJ

• Administrators

27023904_1647680185311418_70336330833355

Veso Golden Oke, a Nigerian-born Ghanaian transgender woman currently working in Ghana, says her goal is to continue to look more beautiful despite hateful comments from transphobic people.

In a chat, the gorgeous 24-year-old model and professional make-up artist describes herself as “unique and beautiful.”  The negative comments she receives from people do not bring her down at all, she says. Instead, they motivate her.

“What keeps me going is the negative utterances from people, because they help build me up. I fight every day to look more feminine, they don’t even recognize that I am trans.”

Most people think effeminate men are gay, but Oke says she has never considered herself gay despite the fact that she is very feminine; instead, she has always known that she is a woman and that’s why she is currently transitioning.

26850527_1640765639336206_26449027989946

“I consider myself a Trans because am on hormone pills already,” she says.

Unlike most African parents who object to their children embracing their true nature as LGBTQ, Oke’s parents support her fully, she says. They know that she lives openly as a trans woman.

27021444_168799803847024_374040436781038

Oke lives in Accra, Ghana, where she mentors young female models. With her guidance, some of them have won beauty pageants.

Source

• Like 1

I like her spirit.

But, I get confused about transgenders sometimes. Like they say they are not gay. But if oke now as a woman, has sex with a man, wouldn't that make her gay seeing as she was a man? 

I have read up about transgenders, but I still find it confusing. 

I support them and love them, before someone will come and say I'm discriminating in the community. 

If I can't write down my feelings on the things I cannot understand here, I wonder where else I can do that. ☺ 

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Ivyy said:

I like her spirit.

But, I get confused about transgenders sometimes. Like they say they are not gay. But if oke now as a woman, has sex with a man, wouldn't that make her gay seeing as she was a man? 

I have read up about transgenders, but I still find it confusing. 

I support them and love them, before someone will come and say I'm discriminating in the community. 

If I can't write down my feelings on the things I cannot understand here, I wonder where else I can do that. ☺ 

I understand the confusion... 

They aren't gay if you view it in this light: Imagine a woman being trapped in a man's body. The soul and everything about that individual is feminine but they have been birthed in a wrong body.

All they seek to do is work towards being in a more comfortable vessel. 

So in the real sense, she has always been female and never male.

I agree with Ivy too.

The thing about the trans community  that most confuses me is I think most times that they only accept perceived notion of who they are in mind.

But the physiological state of a being, is just as important . If sex between two men is gay sex, even if you feel female it's still gay, till its opposite genitalia involved.

Lesbians can't suddenly not say they aren't gay, because one person is strapped on penetrating with a make belief 'penis'. 🤷

I LOVE transgenders (maybe even more than us gay folks,lol). But their stance on sexuality is still a very grey area. My thoughts.

• Moderators

I can understand why it could be quite tricky to grasp.

Perhaps the reason why I easily do is because I believe in reincarnation and I have watched one too many documentaries where people have come in a different gender... 

It does explain a lot when you look at it from a more mystical perspective. 

2 hours ago, kimi said:

I understand the confusion... 

They aren't gay if you view it in this light: Imagine a woman being trapped in a man's body. The soul and everything about that individual is feminine but they have been birthed in a wrong body.

All they seek to do is work towards being in a more comfortable vessel. 

So in the real sense, she has always been female and never male.

Yeah, Kim,  that's a good way to look at it. ☺ 

For those that can afford to do the surgery to change their private parts, it's all good. But there are those that can't afford to do the sex change(it doesn't come cheap) those are the ones that I don't understand..  cos they still have sex same way. 

I really liked Bruce Jenner. But when he became Caitlin, I started reading up on trans. Cos I wanted to understand them cos of Bruce. 

1 hour ago, milaz said:

I agree with Ivy too.

The thing about the trans community  that most confuses me is I think most times that they only accept perceived notion of who they are in mind.

But the physiological state of a being, is just as important . If sex between two men is gay sex, even if you feel female it's still gay, till its opposite genitalia involved.

Lesbians can't suddenly not say they aren't gay, because one person is strapped on penetrating with a make belief 'penis'. 🤷

I LOVE transgenders (maybe even more than us gay folks,lol). But their stance on sexuality is still a very grey area. My thoughts.

I could kiss you right now. 👍 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kimi said:

Perhaps the reason why I easily do is because I believe in reincarnation and I have watched one too many documentaries where people have come in a different gender... 

😁 I get you. 

I believe in reincarnation too, even though they say it's not a Christian thing. 

1 hour ago, kimi said:

Yah, mystically is a more relatable stand point.

I do love the process they do through, I think anything that involves metamorphosis Is a thrill!!