Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

The French Though... *smh*

kimi

A Nigerian Author whose books are not being read in Nigeria.. How grand is that? 😁 

I'm glad she asked those stupid questions though. Cos it gave chimamanda the opportunity to set her and her likes straight. 

Yeah, she handled it well. 

What an interview! 

How come we are the most educated blacks in the world, if we don't have bookstores?

Adichie gave the most deserving reply.  I like.  Very silly and ignorant  jounalist. 

Although the question is not out of tune, just take a look around do you still see functioning libraries?    Nigeria has a handful  bookstores but very few readers.

Keep three books by Anthony Robbins or Zig Ziglar or even Dan brown out in the open. No one will dare touch them, truth be told  reading culture is dead in our environment. No more research. 

Even abroad they still maintain an active library and postal service, but are such facilities still in existent in Nigeria? 

There are no bookstores where I stay, when I travel to Lagos,  I have to go all the way from the mainland to the island to get the kind of books I read and in  most cases I don't get them all. I loathe e-book else I would have settled for PDFs.  (team paper back books). 

Chimamanda doesn't live here so she obviously won't know that bookstores have become moribund in Nigeria.

• Like 1

Lol! Chimananda wasn’t having any of it. Loved her response. It’s people like this French journalist that say “Africa is a country” or that think Africans live like monkeys.

• Moderators

Epic though the face of that jouralist at the tail end of the clip.

What started off with glee soon ended like she had egg on her face..:597f83a445cb9_tw_joy1:

Well deserving response! Proud of Chimamanda! The use of the word 'ass' though. Damn! She was definitely livid. 

Well, these racist people in Europe and America made her what she is today because they value, celebrate, encourage and promote talent, hard work and brilliancy.

Try writing a book and put it in Nigeria bookstores and libraries and see how many Nigerians would buy and read it.  

so many great writers struggling for recognition and patronage here. 

Very few people have good stories to tell of France and the French people, unfortunately I don't think they will listen because they are arrogant idiots.

Chimamanda gave it to them the way they deserve it. Lol. 

And yes @Gimbiyya , I mostly think that to succeed in Nigeria, you need any one of these two things :

1. A white man has held your hand and said "I think you have talent, we will do something with it" or

2. A Nigerian man with a white man friend says , "I think you have talent, let's do something with it, I will introduce you to my white man friend."

If a white man hasn't blessed your hustle, my dear, the sky is still far away for you. 

11 hours ago, Gimbiyya said:

so many great writers struggling for recognition and patronage here. 

Nigerians (and many Africans) are a wonderful example of the extent to which a group of people can partake in mass delusion and denial.

Do you know as renowned as Achebe is, I still can't find most of his works asides, there was a country and things fall apart..How much more up coming /local writers..?

See ehn, What you wrote up there is nothing but the  gospel truth..  We have no reading culture. 

It's really  nice that Adichie defended her country (which is still a shithole) and raised awareness about racial discrimination but we're never going to earn anyone's respect if we continue to behave as a people who don't care for our dignity, our future, our kids and can't build a civilised society with good ideals. 

• 4 weeks later...

my friends complain that I abandon them to read books.now can someone tell me what is wrong with that?It just drives home the fact that we as a people donot realize the power in having knowledge of every kind.reading opens you to a whole other level of possibilities,opportunities,cultures,deeper insight of people and their different perspectives..I don't get why people don't take to reading as much as I do really!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stnunus said:

I don't get why people don't take to reading as much as I do really!

😊 The simple explanation is that we don't all enjoy the same things.