Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Untitled

Dipbluesae

I awoke at the sound of her voice,the gasping sound could have woken up even the heaviest sleeper, her mouth slowly making movements over the subconcious face.
I wasn't one though and it wasn't difficult to see why I was awake almost immediately.
It was Mama. Mama has been sick for almost a year and nothing seems to be working out, recently though she got worse and the doctors have asked us to deposit 5000 naira for her treatment which we have not been able to afford. I couldn't help but fear for Mama's life, still like my other siblings,there seems to be nothing we could do.Each morning she wakes up in pain yet again and most of us kids spend the entire day sitting around her to give her help. "Mama" I called. "Yes" she answered  while groaning in pain.
She makes sure to hid her face away, but right from where I sat,I could see her with the aid of our kitchen lantern lying right beside her shoulder, hidden in tears. It was a black lantern with a square end, one look at the top will tell you that it's nearly decade years old,Mama had bought it from her friend, mama udoka in orie amiri when they went for their usual elu ahia but that was in those days. Right now Mama could barely walk. Deep within I yearn for those days. Mama was a business woman, she sold eba at the local market to make ends meet after Papa's death. On the day she goes to elu ahia are our best days, she would buy okpa, Kwulikwuli and the likes for us as ihe ahia, these we then share among our mates. But with Mama's sickness comes a new change. I walked up to her in silence and took her face up in my arms.  "Tomorrow,we will visit the doctor again" I assured her"He might be able to help us out this time. Try to get some sleep while I fan you". and she did. The rest of the night went by slowly,like the wind in the harmattan, I didn't know when sleep caught up with me and I allowed it to take me to the other land. Tomorrow is yet another day, to us everyday is a new day reminding us of what we are here for; of Mama's fights for her life! That strong woman.

(Missing you comes in waves, tonight I am drowning)

D.B.S

• Like 1
  • Sad 1