Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×

Top 10 Best Lesbian Movies

Prisca

Reaching for the Moon. Nice movie, i enjoyed it.

Wow,I have been looking for this movie every where for so long both @ YouTube, movie sites etc but couldn't find it. Reviews says it won 9 awards outta 10 nominations.

Please kindly provide the link where you watched /downloaded it from.

I watched it following d first link. Hmmm wat a movie.

'Reaching for the Moon' shows how someone's support of ur passion can affect all aspects of what ur giving to the world. The movie depicts d attraction and love of two polar-opposite women (Elizabeth n Lota). Sensual, emotionally intense and thought provoking.

Elizabeth is a celebrated, very influential American poet. She has a melancholy personality. Shy, frank, proper and beautiful.

Lota is a Brazillian architect and has interests in politics. Superbly ambituous and outgoing with a magnetic personality.

Elizabeth had come to spend a few days with her friend Mary, who lived with her partner, Lota. The house built on a large expanse of land in Rio, Brazil belonged to Lota.

Now, Lota is often pissed by Lizzy's priggishness. When she first meets her, she has this conversation with Mary:

Lota: She's stuck up, defensive.

Mary (laughing): She's shy, brilliant, deceptively funny, dangerous.

Lota: Dangerous?! Haha.

Mary: There was this boy who was crazy for her in college. I don't know wat she did to him but he sent her a postcard saying 'Go to hell, Elizabeth'.

Lota: My God, I'm so impressed!

Elizabeth: And then, he killed himself.

Despite being an award winning poet, Lizzy was never confident in her work to the point of disclaiming them if possible. Once at d dinner table, Carlos (Lota's friend and political ally) recites d first stanza of one of her poems, smiling n bidding her to complete d last lines. Shocked by his sudden request, she cuttingly replies "no, I won't. I can't". Later that night Lota went to her room to challenge her.

Lota: Ur behaviour was rude.

Elizabeth: I'm a poet, not a performer.

Lota: Ur imperious, aloof....and u drink whiskey ALONE.

Elizabeth: We can't all be as proud of our work as u are. Rily I find it so admirable. "I deeesiiiiigned all these myself, every inch of it". Me, I hear one of my poems and I'm mortified".

Lota then looks at her differently this time..understanding. She says:

'Oh, thotful observations'.

Elizabeth: Observations broken into lines.

Lota: Beautiful observations broken into perfect lines.

She looked at her again. This time, thoughtfully. Paused for a second and walked down from where she stood by d door to where Lizzy sat on d bed, held her face n kissed her. It was a brief kiss on the lips. She looked at her again, intently and shook her head,

'Good night strange woman'.

In bed with Mary, she turned d other way. She didn't close her eyes. She was thinking. I think she fell in love with her like that.

What makes this movie distinctly powerful is the sharp contrast btw Lizzy's n Lota's personalities, Lizzy's intense anxiety and lack of confidence and Lota's unyielding support of her.

There's this part I rily liked- Lizzy: I'm not drunk. I'm laughing in English.

P.S- Opposites attract but d speed with which Lota told Lizzy she was in love with her was quite...emm can't find d word. Don't know if anyone noticed this.

Someone said though that nothing kept them together other than lust n passion. That 'I never saw wat made Lota fall for Lizzy, anyway'.

• Administrators

I watched it following d first link. Hmmm wat a movie.

'Reaching for the Moon' shows how someone's support of ur passion can affect all aspects of what ur giving to the world. The movie depicts d attraction and love of two polar-opposite women (Elizabeth n Lota). Sensual, emotionally intense and thought provoking.

Elizabeth is a celebrated, very influential American poet. She has a melancholy personality. Shy, frank, proper and beautiful.

Lota is a Brazillian architect and has interests in politics. Superbly ambituous and outgoing with a magnetic personality.

Elizabeth had come to spend a few days with her friend Mary, who lived with her partner, Lota. The house built on a large expanse of land in Rio, Brazil belonged to Lota.

Now, Lota is often pissed by Lizzy's priggishness. When she first meets her, she has this conversation with Mary:

Lota: She's stuck up, defensive.

Mary (laughing): She's shy, brilliant, deceptively funny, dangerous.

Lota: Dangerous?! Haha.

Mary: There was this boy who was crazy for her in college. I don't know wat she did to him but he sent her a postcard saying 'Go to hell, Elizabeth'.

Lota: My God, I'm so impressed!

Elizabeth: And then, he killed himself.

Despite being an award winning poet, Lizzy was never confident in her work to the point of disclaiming them if possible. Once at d dinner table, Carlos (Lota's friend and political ally) recites d first stanza of one of her poems, smiling n bidding her to complete d last lines. Shocked by his sudden request, she cuttingly replies "no, I won't. I can't". Later that night Lota went to her room to challenge her.

Lota: Ur behaviour was rude.

Elizabeth: I'm a poet, not a performer.

Lota: Ur imperious, aloof....and u drink whiskey ALONE.

Elizabeth: We can't all be as proud of our work as u are. Rily I find it so admirable. "I deeesiiiiigned all these myself, every inch of it". Me, I hear one of my poems and I'm mortified".

Lota then looks at her differently this time..understanding. She says:

'Oh, thotful observations'.

Elizabeth: Observations broken into lines.

Lota: Beautiful observations broken into perfect lines.

She looked at her again. This time, thoughtfully. Paused for a second and walked down from where she stood by d door to where Lizzy sat on d bed, held her face n kissed her. It was a brief kiss on the lips. She looked at her again, intently and shook her head,

'Good night strange woman'.

In bed with Mary, she turned d other way. She didn't close her eyes. She was thinking. I think she fell in love with her like that.

What makes this movie distinctly powerful is the sharp contrast btw Lizzy's n Lota's personalities, Lizzy's intense anxiety and lack of confidence and Lota's unyielding support of her.

There's this part I rily liked- Lizzy: I'm not drunk. I'm laughing in English.

P.S- Opposites attract but d speed with which Lota told Lizzy she was in love with her was quite...emm can't find d word. Don't know if anyone noticed this.

Someone said though that nothing kept them together other than lust n passion. That 'I never saw wat made Lota fall for Lizzy, anyway'.

Yes, it happened in a flash. I felt bad for Mary though i couldn't figure out what kind of a relationship she had with Lota prior to Lizzy's visit. It was just interesting to see Lizzy loosen up. Having said that, i don't see myself dating/falling in love with someone like "Lizzy"; i just find her not emotionally stable. Interesting movie! Goodness me i will love to have a house like Lota. Away from the world. lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

[Rily!I'm nt aware der ws a letter. Dats so sensual].

There ws a plot twist at d end of d movie, which ws quite shocking. And I cldnt say for sure Maud loved Sue. Watching her being whisked away into d madhouse like dat. Why dd she double cross her dat way? Sue obviously had fallen for her. Wanted to tel her d truth. Bt she worried more abt d mockery she'd endure if it eva got out dat she ws in luv wit a girl.

Maud's passion was fierce, real, until it wasnt. A woman who had a strong, almost volcanic sexuality dat had remained hidden fr years until d right partner came along. (and I cld relate to dat). Bt after madhouse, she became to me a woman whose only game ws to explore her sexuality n escape frm her sodding uncle. Was wondering wat wld happen next after madhouse bt dat ws it.

Since ders a letter n more dan I watched, I'd av to download n watch again. And if I had d book, wld choose to read only 10 pages per day so dat i don't finish reading on time.

Yes, she rily dd shake first time she kissed her. And she cald her a 'Pearl'.

You know the movie comes in two parts, the first part ended at the madhouse. But in second part, we find out that Sue is really Maud, and vice versa. They were purposely switched at birth. Both of them were actually misleading each other... Long story.

You know the movie comes in two parts, the first part ended at the madhouse. But in second part, we find out that Sue is really Maud, and vice versa. They were purposely switched at birth. Both of them were actually misleading each other... Long story.

I recently watched a movie with almost the same story line. Two women, two friends.

Interesting something something.

• 5 months later...

MAGDA'S LESBIAN LOVE

Directed by Will Moore

Produced by: Sword of the Spirit films

Written by; Elizabeth Funke Obisanya

Starring: Sabrina Chiemeka, (Magda) Selma GlasellKetorah Williams

Sypnosis: Magda, a born again Christian is tempted back into lesbianism.Magda and her child hood friend Katarina embark on a lesbian relationship whilst at boarding school in England in the 80s . Now a born again Christian Magda must decided whether she can be a lesbian and make Heaven.

The Issues

*Can a Christian be gay /lesbian and make Heaven?

* Discrimination

Written by; Elizabeth Funke Obisanya.

Elizabeth Funke Obisanya is a Nigerian born, British - Nigerian producer and director popularly known for her work Me and Mrs Jones (2015), It Was Further Enacted (2011) and Magda's Lesbian Love - MLL (2013).She lives in the Uk as an out lesbian.

'Veil of Silence'

'Veil of Silence' is a documentary about gay people living in Nigeria. The interviews are of real gay people, resident in Nigeria too.

Habeeb Lawal is a Nigerian film maker living in New york. 'Veil of Silence' is his debut project. A brave project albeit that actually makes you sit up as a human rights activist.

Lawal says the project is about human rights not just about homosexuality. He said he was approached by Olumide Femi Makanjuola of TIERS (The initiative for equal rights), to make this documentary

"As gay rights are human rights, we all should actually work beneath this umbrella - human rights - to activate our freedom. If that draconic law barricades us from freely gathering and living, does it also stop us from fighting for basic human rights?"

"You mustn't be 'gay' to fight for equal rights. Let's copy what other right activists are doing in many other countries in Africa, even where homosexuality is termed criminal and do more for our home community, giving this 'cause' a justification" -- C

Veil of silence is not open to public yet. Its currently screening at film festivals. Plans are being made to put it in DVD/VCD and online. But you can view trail updates at 'veil of silence' facebook page. Or follow TIERS on facebook and twitter to find out latest showing of this innovative documentary'.....

Next showing: Ake film festival Abeokuta, Ogun state17- 21 Nov 2015

• Upvote 1

Kyss Mig

Rome and Juliet

Fingersmith (The book is so sensual)

Tipping The Velvet

The Gymnast

Loving Annabelle

Red Door

Fire (Indian Movie)

Bound (The sex scene, hot)

Lost And Delirious (sad, I love movies with perfect endings)

DEBS

I Can’t Think Straight

Desert Hearts

The Incredibly True Adventure Of Two Girls In Love

A Perfect Ending

U sha knw lots of gay muvies o, tnks wud start lukin for them online