Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×

Top 10 Best Lesbian Movies

Prisca

LGBT FILM FESTIVAL (BLACK HISTORY MONTH)

- 30th Oct 2015

Funke Obisanya has started A film festival as part of the black history month in the United kingdom. Your Films which can either be, features, short documentaries or narratives could be submitted for viewing. All films must have LGBTIQ theme (belated as entry closed August)

Aim: To encourage Nigerian LGBTIQ community, films and producers.

Submission has been on since May.

I was so focused on the event itself that I didn't post earlier for members who may have movies, documentaries, narratives to submit - you never know. Will speed it up next time

You'd be surprised at a lot of Nigerian LGBTIQ films/ themes/ producers/ directors! What a nice medium for our community to operate and react from.

Platform: Filmfreeway.com/festival/tadofilmfestival

More details..

'Veil of Silence'

'Veil of Silence' is a documentary about gay people living in Nigeria. The interviews are of real gay people, resident in Nigeria too.

Habeeb Lawal is a Nigerian film maker living in New york. 'Veil of Silence' is his debut project. A brave project albeit that actually makes you sit up as a human rights activist.

Lawal says the project is about human rights not just about homosexuality. He said he was approached by Olumide Femi Makanjuola of TIERS (The initiative for equal rights), to make this documentary

"As gay rights are human rights, we all should actually work beneath this umbrella - human rights - to activate our freedom. If that draconic law barricades us from freely gathering and living, does it also stop us from fighting for basic human rights?"

"You mustn't be 'gay' to fight for equal rights. Let's copy what other right activists are doing in many other countries in Africa, even where homosexuality is termed criminal and do more for our home community, giving this 'cause' a justification" -- C

Veil of silence is not open to public yet. Its currently screening at film festivals. Plans are being made to put it in DVD/VCD and online. But you can view trail updates at 'veil of silence' facebook page. Or follow TIERS on facebook and twitter to find out latest showing of this innovative documentary'.....

Next showing: Ake film festival Abeokuta, Ogun state17- 21 Nov 2015

wow

• 4 weeks later...

I love love good quality movies, but it so happens that majority of the few lesbian movies I've seen as so low quality and baseless that at times I just think they just selling sex.

That being said, BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOUR is class. Some scenes are too long though, I practically skipped the movie anytime clothes start to come off during a rewatch.

• 4 months later...

Yh dis series is my fav so far cnt wait 4 season 4

Wow, I av the 1 and 2. Where can I download the season *** pls? The one I av is not clear.

Orange is the new black still has me in sheets. The character Alex got me tripping, I get wet just by seeing her. She's a lez goddess.

Orange is the new black still has me in sheets. The character Alex got me tripping, I get wet just by seeing her. She's a lez goddess.

Her sexual energy / aura is to die for in that movie. I followed her on instagram though but turns out that aura was simply acting basis.

Poussey however carries the same energy in that movie in her daily life. She's another chic I would happily be with from that movie.

Really? Well she aint gay,for me i love piper both in the movie and the book.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Recently added to my top 10

The Duke of Burgundy.

Classic S&M erotica movie.

Tells the story of a sadomasochistic affair between two lesbians, the Dom that punishes and control, then you realize that the Submissive is actually the puppet master. Its really a story of how far one would go to please someone they love even though they don't particularly enjoy doing it.

Note: The trickling water you hear during Evelyn's first punishment isn’t emanating from a tap, but like I said its sadomasochism.

• Moderators

The Duke of Burgundy sounds very nice and elitist. Would go look for how I can lay my hands on it. Hawks ma man, your services needed here pleeeeaaaaseeee :unsure:

• 2 years later...

I just saw reaching for the moon and it's very overwhelming for me.

What struck me the most is that it's a real life story.

I mean it's set in the 1950's and there is a woman(Lota) that is elitist but doesn't want to get married and then is gay. How hard is it to be a single woman presently? How much more then!!!

There is a renowned poet who is also gay in the 50s and doesn't like the idea of having kids.

It's the 50s and two women are living together in a plush environment as a couple and even adopt a kid. 

It's the 50s and Elizabeth and Lota were together for about 12 years. It's the 50s and love thrived.

This couple even attended gatherings together.

What then is going to stop me now from living my truth? Is there really an excuse for wanting to compromise your happiness or is it that you do not believe that you could be happy? These women of old seem to have more balls than the lot of us put together and right now it's just what it is. Overwhelming.

Very great movie. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Blakky said:

I just saw reaching for the moon and it's very overwhelming for me.

What struck me the most is that it's a real life story.

I mean it's set in the 1950's and there is a woman(Lota) that is elitist but doesn't want to get married and then is gay. How hard is it to be a single woman presently? How much more then!!!

There is a renowned poet who is also gay in the 50s and doesn't like the idea of having kids.

It's the 50s and two women are living together in a plush environment as a couple and even adopt a kid. 

It's the 50s and Elizabeth and Lota were together for about 12 years. It's the 50s and love thrived.

This couple even attended gatherings together.

What then is going to stop me now from living my truth? Is there really an excuse for wanting to compromise your happiness or is it that you do not believe that you could be happy? These women of old seem to have more balls than the lot of us put together and right now it's just what it is. Overwhelming.

Very great movie. 

Absolutely lovely movie. Still one of my favorites. But you have to agree that their environment and ours are different.

Also, Lota was quite wealthy and influential. There is very little people can do to you if you are one of those things.

Notice its always the poor and average that catch heat for been gay here? Abuja and Lagos are teeming with homosexuals. Go to the clubs and they are there "PDA-ing". But how many times are they accosted? Reason been that in a city and place like i described, you don't know who is who. Before you accost somebody and lose your job the next day.

2 hours ago, Hawken said:

Absolutely lovely movie. Still one of my favorites. But you have to agree that their environment and ours are different.

Also, Lota was quite wealthy and influential. There is very little people can do to you if you are one of those things.

Notice its always the poor and average that catch heat for been gay here? Abuja and Lagos are teeming with homosexuals. Go to the clubs and they are there "PDA-ing". But how many times are they accosted? Reason been that in a city and place like i described, you don't know who is who. Before you accost somebody and lose your job the next day.

Abi ooo, before your boss's phone will ring on top your matter but it won't stop us sha, we go marry and have kids Las las. All of us go dey alright 

2 hours ago, ChazBee said:

Abi ooo, before your boss's phone will ring on top your matter but it won't stop us sha, we go marry and have kids Las las. All of us go dey alright 

🤣 yesso

5 hours ago, Hawken said:

You can say that again about Abuja.

22 hours ago, ChazBee said:

I agree. We go dey alright.