Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Age gap relationship issues and solutions

chocolat

Are you dating someone way over your age? Or, are you dating someone so much younger than you are.

If you are then take a deep breath and think before you fall into a trap.

Most people who have a huge age gap, say 10 – 20 years age gap, are most likely to fail in the relationship.

Here are a few of the reasons why:

1. You will not have the same likes. People older have their own thing so with younger ones too. The older one likes the older ways and vice versa.

2. You will not have the same wants. For sure, because of your age gap, your wants will be very different.

***. You will not have the same sense of purpose in life. Older people tend to be more focused in life than younger ones with some exceptions.

4. You will not have the same wave length in any discussion. Older people are more serious in discussions than younger ones.

5. You will not have the same energy in anything you do. As people age, energy fades.

6. Jealousy will always ensue. Older people are the ones that usually gets jealous in the relationship.

As in any kind of relationship, the most that would most likely succeed are those couples who have the same wants and needs and fully understand each other.

So, how do you overcome not to fall into the age gap relationship problem?

Here are a few effective yet very simple solutions:

1. Date someone with your age. Dating someone with your age is the most ideal thing to do. Mostly people with the same age will have the same wants and needs.

2. If you can’t get away with it, date someone with just a *** to 5 years age difference. In this way, things will most likely be the same as when you are both of the same age.

***. Don’t date someone with an age gap of 10 years and over. They are most likely the jealous ones as they will always feel insecure of themselves. They will always feel that the sooner the later you, as the younger person, will get someone younger or within your age bracket.

While there are those who succeed in their relationship despite the age gap issue, majority of these relationships fail for the reasons above indicated.

Stay away and don’t fall for someone who will later give your life some misery. If it’s not worth it, why bother. Always do a good favor to yourself.

Should you fall into this age gap relationship issue, talk to your inner self whether you can make your relationship work. However, it should not only be you who will do the work. Talk to your partner as to whether or not she is willing to sacrifice things that will work in favor of a healthy relationship. If it seems impossible, then slow down and look for a way to exit.

Any thoughts on this issue will be much appreciated

Written by jandi

Few years ago, i dated a lady 20 years my senior.I was the same age as her daughter...pls dont laugh. Overall, our relationship was great. However, sometimes i felt like she was my mother not my girlfriend. She was too controlling and very protective of me.one of the biggest issues in our relationship was her always telling me what to do.

Fast forward, four years later, Am so greatful that i had her in my life at that moment. she was one of the best people, am privilege to know and call a friend/mentor and when i lost the most important person in my life; she was right their to cater and nurture me. To be honest, i would not trade those moment for nothing.

• Moderators

Few years ago, i dated a lady 20 years my senior.I was the same age as her daughter...pls dont laugh. Overall, our relationship was great. However, sometimes i felt like she was my mother not my girlfriend. She was too controlling and very protective of me.one of the biggest issues in our relationship was her always telling me what to do.

Fast forward, four years later, Am so greatful that i had her in my life at that moment. she was one of the best people, am privilege to know and call a friend/mentor and when i lost the most important person in my life; she was right their to cater and nurture me. To be honest, i would not trade those moment for nothing.

For me, I have a rule, "never younger than me, never older than my mum", my mum is 25 years older than me and let's just say I have been pretty close to the cutoff mark more than a couple of times :)/>.

@ moresko, Age is nothing but a number.... lol

I personally don't discriminated....lol

I've never dated anyone my age, in fact none of my friends are my age mate. I prefer to date someone 10-20 years my senior.... less headached

• Moderators

@ moresko, Age is nothing but a number.... lol

I personally don't discriminated....lol

I've never dated anyone my age, in fact none of my friends are my age mate. I prefer to date someone 10-20 years my senior.... less headached

Lol,I don't call it discrimination, I like to think of it as narrowing my focus as I get older. I tried messing around with someone older than mum, and I felt awkward like I was disrespecting her memory

• Administrators

I have always dated older ladies with exception to a few ,but i don't really care about age. I just believe it depends on the person and what you want. Older doesn't always mean mature ,and younger doesn't always mean immature.

• Upvote 1

I have always dated older ladies with exception to a few ,but i don't really care about age. I just believe it depends on the person and what you want. Older doesn't always mean mature ,and younger doesn't always mean immature.

You cldnt have said it any better :)

don't date anyone younger than me.. Let call spade a spade! Am not one to discriminate bt I jus stopd believing in *age is just a number bullshit... * becaus honestly a lot of the time even if they are only a year younger their maturity level is a like 5 years younger

I usually :$ date anyone who is 2 to 5yyears older than me and that's it! That's to say no to 19-24 yrs old. But thERE WAS ONLY ONE EXCEPTION I FELL FOR someone 2yrs years younger nd it backfired (n) and it ended 2day...thou it hurts bt in as much as I cried over it I don't regret it ...it jus made me stronger than I was nd points me towards a better vision... U can't jus understand them evn wen u wanna forget the odds nd go with the flow it still dosnt Measure up .. Although it depends on the individual... They often see u as a casestudy... Well am done wit that :| it high time I stoped playin the fool.. Fool me once shame on you..fool me twice shame on me.... I believe age gap in a relationship matters.. So narrow ur mind... Analyse wit ur head...be objective. But think positively like a politician...

don't date anyone younger than me.. Let call spade a spade! Am not one to discriminate bt I jus stopd believing in *age is just a number bullshit... * becaus honestly a lot of the time even if they are only a year younger their maturity level is a like 5 years younger

I usually :$ date anyone who is 2 to 5yyears older than me and that's it! That's to say no to 19-24 yrs old. But thERE WAS ONLY ONE EXCEPTION I FELL FOR someone 2yrs years younger nd it backfired (n) and it ended 2day...thou it hurts bt in as much as I cried over it I don't regret it ...it jus made me stronger than I was nd points me towards a better vision... U can't jus understand them evn wen u wanna forget the odds nd go with the flow it still dosnt Measure up .. Although it depends on the individual... They often see u as a casestudy... Well am done wit that :| it high time I stoped playin the fool.. Fool me once shame on you..fool me twice shame on me.... I believe age gap in a relationship matters.. So narrow ur mind... Analyse wit ur head...be objective. But think positively like a politician...

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I'm proud to say that I'm 19 and as mature as most ppl older than me. Sure experience teaches lessons but truth is that people act below their age all the time.

Hahaha because of what u said I'm determined to proove you wrong- bt I hv to find an older girlfriend first- lmao

• Moderators

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I'm proud to say that I'm 19 and as mature as most ppl older than me. Sure experience teaches lessons but truth is that people act below their age all the time.

Hahaha because of what u said I'm determined to proove you wrong- bt I hv to find an older girlfriend first- lmao

True, I have seen adults behave childish, but I think maturity depends on the individual. Are talking about dating (as in a relationship) or just f***king? Because they are two different things. Personally, if I am just f***king, age is not really an issue for me as long as you're not underage; but if I am dating someone then my rule of "never younger than me, never older than my mum" is in effect. I can't remember how/ why I started that rule, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

True, I have seen adults behave childish, but I think maturity depends on the individual. Are talking about dating (as in a relationship) or just f***king? Because they are two different things. Personally, if I am just f***king, age is not really an issue for me as long as you're not underage; but if I am dating someone then my rule of "never younger than me, never older than my mum" is in effect. I can't remember how/ why I started that rule, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

I definitely agree with you. When it is just sex, no rules applies but when you are dating, you definitely need rules.

I don't think I've dated anyone at my parents age bracket. However, I know a few women who are in their mid fiftys, that are very attractive and fit.

• Administrators

Its a good rule to have don't get me wrong, but what if you meet someone young and matured? Do you pass because they are younger?

• Moderators

Its a good rule to have don't get me wrong, but what if you meet someone young and matured? Do you pass because they are younger?

Truthfully, I probably would. I don't see myself dating someone younger than me in the foreseeable future. But we never know

• Administrators

Truthfully, I probably would. I don't see myself dating someone younger than me in the foreseeable future. But we never know

Fair enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe I'm just catching on to this amazing discussion!

Welp!

I LOVE older people and believe it or not, we do get along! I've been with *** older men and one was exactly 20 years my senior, and he was the one I liked the most. However,like most older people,(I was hoping the article would mention it) they all tend to be already committed. Whether it's another (wo)man, kids, or a job. Chances are you may not get the full attention you think you deserve. In my case, I left him cuz I found he was married with *** kids. I frankly didn't know what I expected. But best believe, it was one of the best times of my life!

• 2 weeks later...

I have never dated younger but I have never considered age diff in my relationship. so long as you are mature and can still give birth m ok.

• Administrators

I have never dated younger but I have never considered age diff in my relationship. so long as you are mature and can still give birth m ok.

Lol at give birth. I take it you have plans of ending up with a woman.

• 1 year later...