Volunteer with Us at Naijalez: Empowering Nigerian Lesbian Community ×
Nigerian Lesbian Forum

Can A Long distance Lesbian Relationship Survive

chocolat

Hmmmmnn, dat tin called *opinion..well...I feel long dist r/ship aint al dat bad coz 4 me I hate wen I'm bin choked up, monitored et al, wt a long dist r/ship, both partners just av to work out time schedules and wit good comm unication, tins wud be perfect. infact both parties wud luk 4ward 2 cin each oda @ dia free time and dia wud also be less quarel and jealousy and dey wee always wanna make best use of dia free tym 2geda while working on how 2 get closer.

Too much money is spent on airtime, its frustrating when you hug/ cuddle a pillow all night. I don't necessarily like the live in arrangement cause I love my space but there's something about knowing the other person is just a few metres or km away.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I really don't mind. Communication is key like I always say. Right now I wouldn't even mind if bae is abroad or stuff. It gives me the space that I need, as long as we get to see once in a while. Thank God for I.t gadgets, I can feel closer to bae if we have the time.

On 9/24/2014 at 6:56 AM, dequeen said:

Too much money is spent on airtime, its frustrating when you hug/ cuddle a pillow all night. I don't necessarily like the live in arrangement cause I love my space but there's something about knowing the other person is just a few metres or km away.

Said it all... no more words to add.   

Long distance can't survive if both partners don't make conscious effort to seal the Distance from time to time. 

I mean, that warmth, dating embrace with someone u desperately love... Dat *Companionship* is not sellable

No distance relationship for me ooo... Kini?? 

It's all about communication. If you are dating long distance, and you communicate everyday, you won't really feel the distance. 

What really puts a strain on long distance relationship is when there is no communication from one or both parties.

For me, living in Lagos and dating someone in same city, but different area is still long distance.mainland to island is long distance..

So long distance doesn't bother me one bit. 

As long as both parties are willing to make it work, why not? 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 6:14 PM, vina said:

I really don't mind. Communication is key like I always say. Right now I wouldn't even mind if bae is abroad or stuff. It gives me the space that I need, as long as we get to see once in a while. Thank God for I.t gadgets, I can feel closer to bae if we have the time.

are you sure? Vina, Vina:597f839311844_tw_grin1:

Almost every body is saying almost the same thing here but the truth is long distance relationshipscan only survive most times if both partners have been together  for a while before they got separated then there is a proper memory and feelings to respect and hold up to. Most especially for the ones in different countries. Because most times, time difference can effect communication.

3 hours ago, vina said:

I sure

Are you really, really, really sure? 

Because you seems to be a sexually active person and sexually active people can not keep long distance relationship. Their babe must be reachable.

15 hours ago, MENA said:

Because you seems to be a sexually active person and sexually active people can not keep long distance relationship. Their babe must be reachable.

Lmao. I seem to be but I'm not. I have stayed years Without sex and I'm still Doing that Right now. I'm waiting For dear Future wifey.

3 hours ago, vina said:

Lmao. I seem to be but I'm not. I have stayed years Without sex and I'm still Doing that Right now. I'm waiting For dear Future wifey.

Ok, good to know then.

• 2 months later...

based on my experience, long distance relationships suck big time. You both get "too busy" and next thing you know she's sleeping with some dude and realising she's still straight or might be bi or both. You're faithful, she probably isn't. You've got trust issues, love dies. 

• Haha 1

I still wonder if a lesbian relationship survives at all.. 

like what's the plan?!

LDR or not a relationship with no future never survives. 

My relationships survives though and usually LD. Sometimes I wonder what I would be prepared to do for someone if am in a lesbian relationship, exactly how far can I go for another woman.. The sacrifices are really so much so that I'd have to love this person to be able to give them my life..

I am not a sexually active person so cheating is never gonna happen. But there would be so much to worry about aside the distance and there should be a goal to meet together once in awhile too and good communication as well..

22 hours ago, mandah said:

based on my experience, long distance relationships suck big time. You both get "too busy" and next thing you know she's sleeping with some dude and realising she's still straight or might be bi or both. You're faithful, she probably isn't. You've got trust issues, love dies. 

NL apologises on her behalf. Lol. Those trust issues are always the worst though, seriously. And there's no way to lay them to rest with the distance.

• 10 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2013 at 4:31 PM, chocolat said:

Keeping a long-distance relationship across the miles is no easy task. It requires hard work, perseverance and patience. Those of us who have been there can all attest that it is very hard.

There are different kinds of long-distance relationships, but the more daunting one is a long distance relationship between lesbians.

A lesbian who is involved in a long-distance relationship should prepare herself in making the relationship work. While it is hard even if both are residing in the same country and one can easily visit the other, it is even harder for couples who are separated not just by distance but by immigration issues as well. The complexity of getting a partner to join the other is sometimes the reason of a relationship breakdown.

Here are some tips to keep the relationship survive and thrive:

1. Defining your terms. One can ease a lot of discomfort and confusion by defining the expectations in advance. Unless you are comfortable with a casual, non-exclusive relationship, one should be prepared to move and join the other. Physical proximity makes a lot of difference in making a relationship grow.

2. Communication. Talk more often on the phone. If the phone bill is rising, send an email or use the free services of Skype. Both of you can talk long hours without worrying about the bill. And there are more free services out there that you can tap. You just need to find a way to limit your cost. Use the phone only when necessary. It’s more exciting also to send email once in a while. Send an e-card or leave a voice message.

***. Share the burden. Since both of you are in it, it’s fair enough to share the bill. Most, if not all, would just be for phone bill.

4. Make the most of your time together. Whenever you have the chance to be together, be it on the phone or physical presence, it is very important that you make the most out of it. Spend and enjoy time together. Watch movie, eat out or go shopping. If one has a very limited time spend time together in the privacy of your room or in a hotel.

5. Trust and avoid being jealous. In a long-distance relationship, trust is very important to make the relationship work. While any sign of jealousy may mean that you care and really love the person, it may mean distrust to the other. Avoid being jealous and trust that everything will turn out well.

6. Be positive. Stay positive and avoid the negative sides of a long-distance relationship. Staying positive is essential in keeping the relationship alive. Divert yourself into something productive like career enhancements or pursuing other interests or hobbies. Keep in mind that distance makes the heart grow fonder.

7. Talk about future together. Assuming ultimately you’d want to live together, discussing how you’re going to get to that point will help you prove to each other that the relationship is going somewhere and that your efforts and frustrations are not in vain.

Ladies, Have you ever being in a long distance Relationship? Did it Last? Why or Why not?

Written by jandi

8.  Have a short term plan of action which draws a close to the distance.